Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #1

TrailAir pin box

I recently had a TrailAir Pin Box installed on Redwood 36 RE. On my only drive since, the Redwood and my Ford F 250 bounced more, it seemed, than before. Does anyone know if this is normal or maybe I don[t have the air pressure at the correct level in the pin box air bag. Does anyone know? My pin box now has an air bag and the shock absorber. I have suspension air bags installed on my F250 also.

Thanks,
Bill Rush
Bill Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Bill, you need to put more air in the bag. I run mine above the arrows that are on the shock.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:17 AM   #3

It becomes a trial and error setup. Too much pressure in the bag and you negate its' design, too little air and it will be like it's riding on a bouncing ball.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #4

Dave is right on, the key is getting enough air in the hitch to smooth out the bumps. We too fill ours to where the top of the arrows are just showing, this really gives us a great ride.

We also have the Air-Lift on our truck which also helps smooth out the ride.

It takes time to get the best combination, we tried a few different adjustments before we got what we like...take your time and tweak it to your liking.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 AM   #5
S&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
Dave is right on, the key is getting enough air in the hitch to smooth out the bumps. We too fill ours to where the top of the arrows are just showing, this really gives us a great ride.

We also have the Air-Lift on our truck which also helps smooth out the ride.

It takes time to get the best combination, we tried a few different adjustments before we got what we like...take your time and tweak it to your liking.
My head is almost spinning with all the new info. It's hard to keep up! We have a Trail Air Pin Box factory installed and will have an 18K Reese hitch installed once we bring our tow vehicle to the dealership. Should we also install "pillows/air-lifts" on the truck too? I have heard to install a B &W hitch, but we will only use the truck to tow the Redwood, and won't need a goose-neck for towing anything.

Thanks!

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:54 AM   #6

I found the air bags on the truck really helped to smooth put the harsh ride in the truck when traveling over rough roads or bridge approaches. In the event of a real hard bounce it can eliminate a spring bottom out followed by a sharp upward thrust, which can lead to serious chucking.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #7
S&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinder View Post
I found the air bags on the truck really helped to smooth put the harsh ride in the truck when traveling over rough roads or bridge approaches. In the event of a real hard bounce it can eliminate a spring bottom out followed by a sharp upward thrust, which can lead to serious chucking.
Thank you Sinder!

So, what does air bags look like for a Reese 18K hitch on a F350 4X4? Pictures help! (I'm a visual person!)

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:04 AM   #8

Bill, was the trailer empty? I found that when my trailer was empty I had to reduce the pressure in the trail air a bit because the ride was too harsh. Once loaded, I aired up to the top of the arrows and it rides nice. I do not have any sort of air suspension on my truck. Good luck

Bob & Debbie with Meeko & Lucy
2014 F350, SC, LB 4X4, 6.7
2014 31 SL
USN retired, 31 years
"If it was easy, anybody could do it"
CV67Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:31 AM   #9

Bill I installed Firestone air bags on the truck. They attach to the axle. You already have the trail air pin, so I would not recommend getting an air bag system integrated with a hitch. Doing so will certainly cause towing issues because they negatively act against each other. Truck air bags can be installed by yourself or I've seen on the forum that Good Sam has a low cost install charge. Before you purchase airbags you may want to take your new rig for a short trip to see how it rides. You may find you do not need make any changes.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:40 AM   #10

Just got Airlift airbags installed at Camping World. Just give them details of the truck and they order the correct bags. Install price was $39 for the bags and $39 for the compressor.

Makes a huge difference when towing the coach, especially over rough roads, bridges, etc.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:15 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&K View Post
My head is almost spinning with all the new info. It's hard to keep up! We have a Trail Air Pin Box factory installed and will have an 18K Reese hitch installed once we bring our tow vehicle to the dealership. Should we also install "pillows/air-lifts" on the truck too? I have heard to install a B &W hitch, but we will only use the truck to tow the Redwood, and won't need a goose-neck for towing anything.

Thanks!
There are 2 reasons to get the B/W hitch;

#1 you can remove it when your not using the hitch ( I never do this)

#2 the B/W is VERY tight and unlike some of the hitches, they're very quiet with no movement in the jaws while pulling.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #12

I found filling the trailair up to the line was too hard and made it ride as a solid unit , so lowered the psi from 90 or so down to 50 and it rides much better..

as stated though, it's a personal setup issue to see what works best for your unit... good luck !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #13

Thanks very much. Your suggestion will help. Have a good day.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #14

IMHO would only be B&W. Had other hitches, but this cleaner, tighter, & smoother.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #15

Thanks for your help. Have a good day.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #16

your information will help. Thanks
Old 03-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #17

I appreciate your help. Have a great day.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #18

My trailer capacity is 16000 and it was loaded to about 15000. It didn't "hop" or bounce before with the regular trailair pin box that had a 1" thick rubber for shock absorbing. I'm pulling it with a Ford F 250 FX4 with Firestone suspension air bags. My truck has a little more rough ride due to the FX 4 package, but it's strong if I an get the air right in the trailair bag.
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #19

Your information and suggestions are great. I will try them. Have a great day.