Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #1

Exclamation Toll Roads

In our travels we struggle with whether to avoid toll roads or just bite the bullet and pay the tolls to shorten the trip and avoid stop and go city traffic. Yesterday while traveling from St. Louis to Michigan we encountered some interesting roads in the Chicago vicinity while avoiding I-80, including a series of train trestles with 13' 8" clearances [those got my attention as I'm 13' 4"].

I set our GPS to avoid tolls amongst other parameters such as low clearances but it sure is a pain. It would be nice if I knew more, precisely what tolls we would encounter and the amounts while planning. If I knew the toll would not require a mortgage I would certainly pay it rather than detour around the quicker route!!!

So my question... what are you doing? Has anyone found a tool to help you plan, an app for your phone/tablet, good websites, books???

Let the dialogue begin...
Old 08-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #2

We stopped on our last trip and bought an Ez-Pass. They supposedly save you up to 40% on the toll roads. You pay for the device 12.00 and then 15.00 first deposit to be used in tolls. Then it refills automatically. We saved a lot if time and hassle getting change and bills ready by using it. We went across several states with it....Indiana, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire and Maine on this last trip. It works in all states with EZ-Pass. Anyone else have experience with this? We will see what we saved when we get the final bill. I can't imagine going all that way through Cities though. While going to a KOA in Coopersville, NY and had to make a stop to see if we could make it through one underpass. It was close, but thanks to a semi driver who stood on top of the nearby hill to see if we would clear it, we got through. so dealing with low overpasses and TREES, it has been a good thing to do the Interstate and pay the tolls.
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi John

I've had an EZPass for years as I travel the DC-NY corridor regularly. Not sure you'll see the 40 percent but the convenience of not waiting in a lane and digging for $$ out of your wallet is priceless.

Tracy's favorite app is Trucker Path. It's a free app, shows fuel stops rest areas, and will let you know clearance issues. It does not show individual clearance heights but will show a conflict. Maybe Dave can help here - I think that under 14' is the standard for low but not sure?
It will also give you satellite views of the area.
We use this in addition to the Rand McNally loaded on my iPad and the Nav in the truck. Have discovered the Nav from Ford (Sony version) can take us on some interesting routing .........
Old 08-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #4

I got an EZpass in Florida, I assume I can use it in any of the other states using EZ???

Any problems with towing the trailer with the EZpass? The pass is issued for the truck, what happens when you are towing??? If they have no-stop lanes do you use them or do you have to go through a manned lane?
Old 08-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Hi John

I've had an EZPass for years as I travel the DC-NY corridor regularly. Not sure you'll see the 40 percent but the convenience of not waiting in a lane and digging for $$ out of your wallet is priceless.

Tracy's favorite app is Trucker Path. It's a free app, shows fuel stops rest areas, and will let you know clearance issues. It does not show individual clearance heights but will show a conflict. Maybe Dave can help here - I think that under 14' is the standard for low but not sure?
It will also give you satellite views of the area.
We use this in addition to the Rand McNally loaded on my iPad and the Nav in the truck. Have discovered the Nav from Ford (Sony version) can take us on some interesting routing .........

My rule of thumb is .....think and act like a big truck and you'll be fine. I have never tried the EZ pass but we're now considering it because the trip to Maine and back ended up costing us around $300. I will use the toll roads whenever I can simply because they're faster and newer. While going across the eastern toll roads, I kept reminding myself that "I paid for those bumps".

Getting around the old cities like Chicago can cause you to loose your roof! You can get the trucker's atlas at the truck stops but you still have to be very careful. By law they have to mark any overpass under 16ft but don't always count on it. Train over passes seem to be the worse. If you do get wedged under one, start letting the air out of your tires. This will lower your trailer about 4 inches and this is another reason to carry a small air compressor.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #6

We are in a pickle - I can't stand the traffic through Denver, but can't avoid it except for the toll. We have the highest priced toll in the country and each axle after the first vehicle is another vehicle. Between boat and Redwood and two tow cars, I get hit for 6 vehicles at each station and That's over $80 to get through Denver.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
Site Team

With the EZ Pass just go through the unmanned or high speed lanes. The EZPass takes a picture of the rig and counts axles and then you get billed. Can sometimes take 2-3 months to see it on your statement
Old 08-04-2014, 02:45 AM   #8

EZ-pass works in NY, PA, MA and NJ. In Florida it is E-pass or sunpass. The two are not interchangeable. Wouldn't it be great if they all used the same thing? Too many readers to figure which goes to which system.
1000islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:50 AM   #9
Site Team

It also works in DE, MD OH, IN IL , WV, AR AND MO
Old 08-04-2014, 05:10 AM   #10

We're traveling up to Indiana for the rally on Wednesday, coming from the DC area it's an extra 1h 20mins avoiding the tolls. Last year we took the toll roads up, and returned non-toll. Tolls were close to $60 (using EZ-Pass), and I wouldn't mind paying it if the roads were better, but since we don't have IS yet I think we'll take the long way up this time, just have to get up a bit earlier. One of those interstates (I-80?) was really bad.

Remember though to figure in any increase in fuel consumption when doing a comparison based on economics alone. In our case, the trip is another 65mls non-toll which is roughly 6 gallons times $4 equals $24, so the savings are only around $30-$35 at best avoiding tolls, not counting wear and tear.
Frankv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #11

We are heading through Chicago this morning and to avoid tolls would be almost double the distance. After almost 3000 mls, to save DW sitting in passenger seat for a few less hours, I'll gladly pay the toll. Happy wife ....

Unfortunately our Vancouver electronic toll device wont work, so it is cash lanes for us.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
We are heading through Chicago this morning and to avoid tolls would be almost double the distance. After almost 3000 mls, to save DW sitting in passenger seat for a few less hours, I'll gladly pay the toll. Happy wife ....

Unfortunately our Vancouver electronic toll device wont work, so it is cash lanes for us.

Be careful not to use any of that funny looking money from the North suburbs.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #13

The only toll road that we use on our trip to the south west in the winter is the Toledo to Chicago toll road (think it's I-80), we get off at I-69 when we go south into Indiana. Our route is all interstates and toll roads wouldn't reduce the trip distance or ease of driving (other than I-80).

One year we couldn't get a ticket out of the dispenser on I-80, an attendant came over to advise us that we were over height! Turns out that they have a height detector and we had accidentally left up our OTA antenna when we left our last campsite. The process (after lowering the antenna!) was to do a "U" turn to go through the toll booth going the other way (no problem) then doing the "U" turn again back into the original booth where we got a valid ticket.

Maybe height detectors are an advantage of using toll roads!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #14

I have a NY ez-pass, there are different passes for the different vehicles. I have one I use with the truck alone and another on for when I'm towing the RW. The trailer pass reads pick up truck and 2 axels. The pick up reads pick up under 10,000 lbs.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
lwg

All this talk reminds me of why I tend to stay in the West. Only a handful of toll roads out here...
Old 08-05-2014, 03:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
All this talk reminds me of why I tend to stay in the West. Only a handful of toll roads out here...
They are coming........! Big profit makers
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #17

Bit the bullet and purchased an Illinois EZ-Pass for the truck. According to a phone call to their customer service I can use the standard pass, the toll booths will detect the extra axles when towing the rig.

We'll see???
Old 08-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #18

In the ezpass states I travel through, DRW pickups are in a separate class from 4 wheeled pickups. I assume that then applies to all states.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #19

Around Chicago, DRW were considered a light truck and with the RW we were a medium truck.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
Bit the bullet and purchased an Illinois EZ-Pass for the truck. According to a phone call to their customer service I can use the standard pass, the toll booths will detect the extra axles when towing the rig.

We'll see???
If we return to this area or other states with toll roads I am thinking of picking up an Ez-pass, as the rates were about 1/2 the cash rate.