Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

Toilet replacement

By my count, at least eight of you have had problems with a leaking Thedford toilet, the one without replaceable seals. This problem is caused when the water shut off valve doesn't, the water keeps running, and the bowl overflows. What's the model # of this toilet? If my 2014 has the same model, I may just pay my dealer to install a different toilet (perhaps a Dometic #310 or something similar) before I take delivery in July in order to avoid a flood down the road, and that nagging feeling in the back of your mind of "when will my toilet leak?" What's another $200 for some peace of mind? Plus, it will never be easier than now while it's new and waiting at the dealer. Any opinions? Thanks...
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #2

Alan, I can't give you the model number of the Thetford toilet (our Redwood is in for it's "annual") but I would avoid toilets from that company based on the failure of ours after about 6 months of full time use. We didn't have water overflows others have reported but the pedal fell off, looking at the design, the way that the pedal works the water overflow is another symptom of the poor design.

We bought a Dometic for just over $200 and I installed it myself. It was a "plug and play" replacement in our 36 RL, the Dometic is about an inch longer compared to the Thetford (wall to center line of the discharge pipe) but there was enough back clearance in the RL. The water connection didn't have to be modified.

My feeling is that Redwood doesn't deal with Dometic so you may have to do a deal with your RV dealer to have them change out the toilet, after all they will need a spare for the eventual warranty repairs on the Thetford toilets!
Old 05-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #3

Alan,
We had upgraded ours to an Aria Classic, high profile, extended bowl on our last RV. Upon purchase of the Redwood, we had the dealer move the toilet from the old rig to the new. It's pricey, but a good toilet.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcc View Post
Alan, I can't give you the model number of the Thetford toilet (our Redwood is in for it's "annual") but I would avoid toilets from that company based on the failure of ours after about 6 months of full time use. We didn't have water overflows others have reported but the pedal fell off, looking at the design, the way that the pedal works the water overflow is another symptom of the poor design.

We bought a Dometic for just over $200 and I installed it myself. It was a "plug and play" replacement in our 36 RL, the Dometic is about an inch longer compared to the Thetford (wall to center line of the discharge pipe) but there was enough back clearance in the RL. The water connection didn't have to be modified.

My feeling is that Redwood doesn't deal with Dometic so you may have to do a deal with your RV dealer to have them change out the toilet, after all they will need a spare for the eventual warranty repairs on the Thetford toilets!
Our 2012 36RL came with a Dometic 310 toilet. The only problem we have had with it is that occasionally, when releasing the lever, the valve does not go all the way closed and you have use your foot to lift up on the lever. That generally occurs because I don't release the lever quick enough for it to snap closed.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:

Thanks so much! After looking at a Dometic how-to video on YouTube, it looks pretty easy, especially on a new coach fun which hasn't seen any use, so I'll probably do that myself. I'm seeing my mindset change from "what can I get the dealer to do?" to "how much can I do for myself, and gain valuable experience in the process?" I used to be a pretty handy guy, but I delegated a lot of what I used to do myself as my business demanded more of my time, and when they put computer boards in cars... it's time to reconnect with my "Inner Mechanic." :-) Five years from now, I'd like to be the guy in the RV park whom everyone points to and says, "Go ask Al - he knows all about these things, and has the tools to do it." I already have the tools - it's time to start using them again.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #6

We have been using ours fulltime for 18 months now & at our age & peanut size bladders it gets lots of use. On our previous SOB it had the Dometic & I had to replace valve assembly twice due to broken springs & totally rebuild all flush parts in 4 years, don't know that one is any better than the other, my 2 cents.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #7

Our RW is just over 2 years old and we have been living in it for 1 year now. We have the Thetford toilet and have not had a problem. I do occasionally use a little vaseline on the rubber seal. We also try not strong foot the pedal. And lastly we started keeping a little bit of water in the bowl so the seal does not dry out.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #8

Sinder,
Just a tip. I have read that Vaseline isn't good for the rubber seals. I have had O rings tear constantly until I read to use plumbers grease...no more torn O rings. Apparently the petroleum jelly destroys the rubber. Not sure if it will harm the toilet seal but I'd rather not take the chance. The plumbers grease (a clear silicone) is available at any hardware store.

AlanN
Yes you can! I just got done putting one in a newer Vantage RV that we have. It took less than 20 minutes, start to finish. There is no wax ring on an RV toilet. Just line up the bolts, tighten, attach your water supply and then..........time for a beer!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:42 AM   #9

Ok thanks for the info.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Sinder,
Just a tip. I have read that Vaseline isn't good for the rubber seals. I have had O rings tear constantly until I read to use plumbers grease...no more torn O rings. Apparently the petroleum jelly destroys the rubber. Not sure if it will harm the toilet seal but I'd rather not take the chance. The plumbers grease (a clear silicone) is available at any hardware store.

AlanN
Yes you can! I just got done putting one in a newer Vantage RV that we have. It took less than 20 minutes, start to finish. There is no wax ring on an RV toilet. Just line up the bolts, tighten, attach your water supply and then..........time for a beer!

Ken
Replace the toilet, have a beer, christen the toilet ... Repeat second two operations until toilet has bonded with RV. Sounds like a great plan! Thanks! :-)
Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #11

Interesting ... I talked with a neighboring dealer today (not a RW or CR dealer) and he suggested that the Thedford toilet is not at fault for failing to shut off and overflowing the bowl. He believes it's the metal filings and other detreous which occur in all new units, and if in the FW tank will find its way to the toilet valve, causing the leak. He suggests a good coarse-sediment filter in the line to capture the crud. Any thoughts on this?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #12

I will say we have always used the factory water filter, and I'm never seen filings or other debris in the filter. Not sure if I would agree with the Dealer's assessment.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #13

Mine only failed to shut off once, I blamed it on very low water pressure at the park we were in at the time, only 24-26 psi at the faucet, so after a sediment filter, water softener, & the on-board charcoal filter it had to be very low. No problems since.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #14

FWIW having looked at the way the pedal moves both the water and the sewer valve on the toilet (and having moved these manually for a month to flush the toilet before we replaced it) I would suspect that the movement of the pedal out of it's socket a bit is causing the water valve not to close completely.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I will say we have always used the factory water filter, and I'm never seen filings or other debris in the filter. Not sure if I would agree with the Dealer's assessment.
I agree with you, and that's why I posted his suggestion - to get more feedback. Thanks...
Old 05-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Mine only failed to shut off once, I blamed it on very low water pressure at the park we were in at the time, only 24-26 psi at the faucet, so after a sediment filter, water softener, & the on-board charcoal filter it had to be very low. No problems since.
Good info ... Thanks, Danny.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #17

Quote:
FWIW having looked at the way the pedal moves both the water and the sewer valve on the toilet (and having moved these manually for a month to flush the toilet before we replaced it) I would suspect that the movement of the pedal out of it's socket a bit is causing the water valve not to close completely.
Excellent observation ... Thanks. I'm even more convinced that I'll swap out the toilet before I take delivery of the GK.

Tags
dometic, leak, thedford, toilet