Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #1

I just purchased my 2003 Chevy Dually and put new tires on all around. The tire is rated for 80 psi cold pressure. What is the recommendation for tire pressure when towing my Redwood? Same question for tire pressure on the Redwood. I know what the max cold rating is, but I have been tod to tow at a lower pressure. Thoughts and or comments.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Site Team

I run all my tires at the max psi.

Trailer tires usually don't have max air, they have minimum air pressure. If you go to the tire manufactures website there's a table showing the amount that can be carried at various pressures. For example on my last trailer the tires were stamped at 35 psi but when I went to their website it said I should maintain 50 psi to carry the weight. The 35 psi was the minimum pressure.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #3

I follow the TV door sticker, 70 PSI front 65 PSI rears, but I did put 70 in the rears for the trip South since we're carrying 4K of pin weight. G614s (G Rated) that came on the rig I kept at 110 PSI, now have G114s (17.5" wheels) are set at 125 PSI. Opinions are as varied as opinions of the best rig. Some follow load charts, others say max side wall. I've heard max side wall from numerous folks at seminars so I'm inclined to follow their suggestions. Before you can really use the load charts you must weight each wheel and set the pressure per the wheel with the heaviest load, but I have seen some results with those charts that say based on the weight they should only have 65 or 70 PSI, to me running a tire designed of 110 at such a low pressure looks like a problem waiting to happen. Would you take and run your TV tires at only half the pressure as noted on the door pillar?? I sure wouldn't I know what happens to Radial tires running at too low a pressure, they tend to roll off the rim in a hard turn. Now think of the pressure on the side walls of you RV tires while jack knifeing 90 degrees into that perfect camp site, you sufficient pressure to keep those tires on their rims.
Disclaimer: These are only my thoughts and observations, you must do as you see fit.
Edited by: mhs4771
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #4

I run my G rated tires at 110 psi. This is for a max load of 3750 lbs. per tire. If I went by inflation charts, I could drop them a few lbs. if I didn't have full tanks etc., but just to be one the safe side I carry them at max since I am close to GVW with tanks etc. full. On my TV, I do run them lower than max based on the weightI scaled with the truck loaded and the trailer hooked on since I am not running close to GVW.