Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #21

Yep, it mixes with the hydraulic oil and does not separate.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:07 AM   #22
Site Team

The other heavy duty jack system is made by Equalizer. The guys that own this are the the ones that started Bigfoot. 6 jacks, each with their own motor and the coach doesn't move. Hydraulic system. Only one fifth wheel using it that I know of, it's mostly in big Class A.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:41 AM   #23

Met a couple awhile back with a new Lifestyle coach & all of their jacks were leaking to point of puddling at each jack, it was very messy.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:44 AM   #24

Yuck. I have one that seasonally puddles. (over the winter)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:10 PM   #25

On our RW I found that the longer the jacks are extended in length the more it pops. SO now I put wood blocks 4" or 6" tall under each jack when setting up and I don't hear it as often. Mostly at night as the temps are dropping I might hear it once or twice. Our Neighbor has a Grand Design Solitude and I hear his all the time. If it gets worse I will try the fix.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Met a couple awhile back with a new Lifestyle coach & all of their jacks were leaking to point of puddling at each jack, it was very messy.
I was just reading on another forum, and the recent Big Foots are having a big problem with autolevel. Folks are having to bypass and go to manual, and Big foot hasn't come up with a good fix yet even though the problem is several years old.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
it use to keep us up at night so i went with the caterpillar additive and it worked well.

Like others have already said.....i would have thought this issue was behind lippert by now but i guess history tends to repeat itself if you don't change the process.
ditto, alls good now
Old 09-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Added two quarts of the recommended anti striction fluid 18 months ago and the jacks still pop as loud as ever. The more extended the jacks the more prone they are to pop. By using 4" blocks beneath the jack feet I can reduce frequency of popping. Large temperature changes during the day exacerbates the problem. I gave up!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #29

Yes, ours still pop, have done "the fix" one time. We are going to try it again and see if it helps.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:46 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroute View Post
I have done multiple changes with the fork fluid as directed by LCI and to no avail. In fact I had the neighbors complain to me this year that they are really getting tired of hearing my jacks popping, cracking, banging around all day/night long. Sadly it even happens when I am not there and the coach is empty. I am getting to the point where I am starting to look at other options and trading my beloved Redwood in for something different as a coach with a $130,000 price tag should not so intrusive that your neighbors complain about the noise your coach makes day and night.

Dave - could you please share what CAT additive you used as I am getting desperate to resolve this annoyance. Thank you!!!
I can't remember the name but it was on the list of options from Lippert. I went to a cat supply store and told them I wanted the additive that they used for their system. It was about $45 I believe, but it worked. The bottle said it helped with friction and moisture if I remember correctly
Old 10-02-2015, 01:05 AM   #31
Dan

Here is what's required from Lippert, I used the CAT additive(2) worked great

Introduction:
If there is a popping noise in a Lippert Leveling system, Lippert has approved adding a quart of anti-stiction
fluid. Approved fluids are listed by brand name and fluid characteristics below:
1. Torco RFF Grade 15 (Fig. 1)
2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15 (Fig. 2)
3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891 (Fig. 3)
For maximum results in the shortest amount of time, please follow the preparation and procedure exactly
as written below. Failure to follow the preparation and procedure may result in delayed resolution of the
audible disturbance.
Preparation:
1. Obtain a clean container (large enough to hold a quart of fluid)
2. Obtain a fluid extraction device (siphon, turkey baster, etc.)
3. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
Process:
1. Using the fluid extraction device, remove one quart of fluid from the power unit reservoir.
2. Add 1/2 quart of the specified fluid.
3. Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully.
4. Add the remaining amount of the specified fluid.
5. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
6. Run the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per the instructions found in the Owner's Manual.
NOTE: If the noise persists, the addition of a second quart may be necessary. Follow steps 1 through 6.

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:29 AM   #32

I followed the Lippert directive to the letter when it first came out - using one quart of CAT fluid. Worked like a charm. But this summer, I was shocked to hear it come back again. Ugh... does anything ever stay fixed? Now I'll have to start saving up for another quart.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #33

I know my dealer and I have tried the Torco and the Fork Fluid and neither one resolved the issue and that is even after adding 2 quarts of each and then cycling the jacks and slides for a full season. The Torco did nothing so the next year we tried 2 quarts of the fork oil and so far - nothing. Think I'll try the CAT fluid in the near future to see if that does the trick.... If not, a Class A might just be in my future...
Old 10-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #34

Is this just a 5th wheel thing, or does it get the MHs too?
Old 10-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #35
Site Team

It's mostly a fifth wheel thing ~ dissimilar metals. Most of the MH, at least the big Pushers, use all steel rams and housings. Large $$$ difference in system cost though .........
Old 10-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #36

OK, we upgraded our Montana with Level-UP, but before it was purchased by Lippert and never had the popping, we had minor popping on our 2012 RL, and so far no popping on this MB.
So very interesting why some have it and others don't. Makes you wonder what is different??
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #37

If you've ever worked around heavy equipment the popping is just the nature of hydraulics & temperature change. I would bet money
that the jacks on a motor home pop also there's just a lot more coach between you & the jacks. Mine popped in the beginning, but after the form oil treatment they haven't until last week, but the problem was it was low on oil, added 1/2 quart, all is good.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
It's mostly a fifth wheel thing ~ dissimilar metals. Most of the MH, at least the big Pushers, use all steel rams and housings. Large $$$ difference in system cost though .........
Like everything on the 5th wheels I believe the problem is the concern for weight and therefor the rams just aren't built as robust. I don't get any sounds out of mine at all and once their down, there's no re-leveling due to settling.

With the motor home, about 1/2 the time I don't even use the levelers. With the Redwood I wouldn't think of going without them.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #39

Went three years without a sound, then it started mid season this year. Just before a camping trip, swapped out a quart with the Torco. Haven't had any issues since. Bought two just in case. We have two MHs next to us and they have it a lot worse than my RW did, especially with the cool nights and sunny days. I worked up in Alaska servicing the heavy equipment out in the fields. Let me tell you, the rams on the huge dump trucks popping will scare you to death. Nothing like being the only one out in the fields at 2am pumping grease into every zerk there is and have one of the truck rams pop. Like a shotgun going off. Hope the Torco keeps my popping at bay for awhile.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #40
Site Team

Well ....maybe mine will start popping someday but it's nice that I don't have to use them every time that we stop somewhere