Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2019, 01:20 AM   #1

Thoughts on surge protection

HAPPY TURKEY EVERYONE I am thinking of buying the Surge Guard 34951 potable unit. Anyone have this unit? Would you buy again or go to a hard wire unit? This one will look at the 5th wheel also. It is on sale ( Black Friday ) till the 1st. Is it worth the extra money for the wireless remote? thanks for you thoughts chug
chugsonja@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:10 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I have had my surge guard for 5 years and happy with it. I prefer the portable as it covers the cord as well. The remote would be handy to get a reading while in the trailer as opposed to going out to the post to get info
Old 11-30-2019, 03:06 AM   #3

Be sure it's a surge protector/EMS, this covers much more than just surges.
I had the Progressive Industry 50 amp portable for 10+ years. Portable or hardwired is your choice but having either is a must for all newer RVs with all the electronics onboard.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:22 AM   #4

Another feature for the Progressive is low and high voltage protection. Don't know about the other brand, but under low voltage conditions (less than 107V) the rooftop AC (heat pumps) will draw considerably more current during operation than at rated voltage. This over time will very likely shorten their life as they're not rated for that much current. The Progressive unit will shut down the power if voltage goes below 104 V to protect these units. I'm certain ours have been saved several times because of it.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:02 AM   #5

the surge guard 34951 also has low and high current and frequency checking plus checks camper side which progressive does not do. thanks chug
chugsonja@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #6

I had the older model surge guard 34950 for approapproximately 5 years and I am sure it saved my unit at several parks. I am currently living in Mr Redwood full time. Early last summer turned on rear a/c and after awhile it shut off but still warm inside. Lowered thermostat and nothing. Thought maybe had low or high voltage but checking the surge guard showed voltage good on both legs. I then thought maybe the a/c unit had electrical issue. Took it apart, wires looked fine but no power to unit. I then realized I had lost all power on one leg. Called local mobile tech and when he came out I told home the surge guard was good and showing voltage to each leg. He chuckled and went directly to surge guard and checked output connection and sure enough no power to one leg. He stated the readings tell you what is coming into the surge guard, not what is going out. Dumb on my part but we disconnected surge guard and all was well. It was almost impossible to find a number to contact surge guard but finally went thru Southwire and talked to a rep who informed me that it was not under warranty and told me way the problem was. Apparently this happens frequently. One of the blades in the female end of the surge guard is losing its connection. He stated that I could try to fix it but that entails taking the unit apart and many gaskets . He stated I would just need to purchase a new one as they do not repair their product. As a result of this issue I have been leaning towards the progressive brand. I dont think an over $300 investment should only last 5 years.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #7

Here's what I know: The older surge guards only had a 90 day warranty, but the newer versions now have a life time warranty.
The Progressive units have always had a life time as far as I know. So for new, take your pick.
One note about Portable vs Hardwired. With a portable unit if you develop an issue with your main cable to the RW it won't help you. So if you were to lose the neutral you could fry many of your electronics in the RW, and that could happen at the male end of your cable or the female end of the portable unit.
Just something to keep in mind when buying/installing.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #8

We use it everytime

I have a "hardwired" version (Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C w/ remote monitor)- and would not plug in "anywhere" without one, even at home.
With the "hardwired" version, you don't have to worry about it growing legs and walking off. It is wired in series to the feed wire coming into the indoor breaker box, so either input - city power or generator, everything downstream is protected. (was at an RV Park about 10yrs ago and the power pedestal had a short and my older 30A RV had 240v to everything, The RV Park did replace a lot of electronics for me, which was super nice and not expected. The P.I. EMS 30A was my 1st purchase back then.)

Good Luck and Happy Camping!
Kenneth
Old 12-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #9

We use both,
Burned up the insides of the cord reel when I had a hardwired Surge Guard.
Now we use a portable Surge Guard to protect the reel and a hardwired Progressive to hopefully protect the RV.

Rick
Old 12-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #10

Autoformer

Have you considered the Hughes Autoformer. It does it all and adjusts high or low votage?
Easy201438rl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:55 PM   #11

Satisfied with the portable 50 Amp. Surgeguard. Down the road if I buy another 5er I’ll already have one. Just get it & be done with it.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:00 PM   #12

We have a Progressive Industries EMS. Guaranteed for life, and their customer service is amazing if you should have to use them. Called them on December 24 a few years ago and their message said they were closed until Jan 2. On December 26, a tech called me and said the offices were closed but technical support wasn't. Who could ask for better service. Had it back a week after I sent it in.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:50 AM   #13

Be careful with the Hughes Autoformer, some CGs are not allowing their use. With the Transformer function to boost the voltage out of it, puts an extra load on an already marginal electrical system.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #14

We have the progressive in our Redwood and have had no issues... So we ordered one recently for our truck camper and BAD NEWS they have moved the manufacturing out of the US and it was complete JUNK! It's ashame because they made a great reputation and now there trying to save pennys and its going to be there downfall... It kept shutting down randomly and giving all kinds of low voltage errors when the voltage was not low... There customer service was no help also... So back it went and we ordered the Power Watchdog from Hughes and we are in love with it...having the ability to check everything right through our phones is awesome and if there is an issue, it gives the whole reason and description right on the phone! Hope this helps!