Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 10:00 PM   #1

Texas Heat!!

I am amazed by the construction of the Redwood 36RL. I scanned the inside of a sidewall that is in direct sunlight in the afternoon and it is registering 87 degrees. I then scanned the inside of a slideout sidewall in direct sunlight and it registers 108 degrees. I then scanned the outside slideout and sidewall of the same area and it is reading 134 degrees. Obviously there is a huge difference with insulation or the width of the slideout vs regular wall. It is 100 degrees outside right not. Interesting......

By 7 pm, my RV inside temp typically reads 81 degrees with this type of heat. I have my thermostats set at 70 degrees on both of them. They have been running all day. I just replaced one air conditioner a few months ago. I have multiple fans running to circulate the air in the RV. I DO NOT turn on the ceiling fan. It makes it worse, I found out. It will be interesting to see what my RV inside temp will be on Friday. It is suppose to be 107 degrees outside!! HOT HOT HOT
Dave6532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #2

any thing you can do to keep direct sun light off the side walls helps a lot. Even the roof vents putting those 3" think white pillows really helps . This past spring I put a smoked black skylight in the bath room shower and put bubble rap over the inside dome in the shower. You don't notice the bubble rap between the inside and out side . I also insulated the outside patio door behind the TV, I used 1" thick EPDM closed cell black foam. there is almost now sound inside the coach with the TV on outside. I did all sides of the box with a 48x 60" piece that I had . I used black contact cement to hold it in place , whole job took about 1.5hrs and under $100 if you had to buy everything.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:41 PM   #3

Good idea! I do have insulation board around all of my windows right now. That helped to get it to this point. I do have the vent cushions in place too.
Dave6532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #4

As some of the old timers (2013 ) can attest to, some had to check their vents, registers, etc... as they extended into the ducting too far and cut off flow from the ac's ...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #5

Just found out I am coming to the Houston area for a while. Can't wait to experience that heat myself
Old 07-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #6

Houston has the best of both worlds, the heat AND humidity - here in the DFW area yesterday going to dinner in the jeep (ggggrrrrrrrr this forum software twist my pic !!!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5444.jpg (144.6 KB, 13 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:45 AM   #7
HTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave6532 View Post
I am amazed by the construction of the Redwood 36RL. I scanned the inside of a sidewall that is in direct sunlight in the afternoon and it is registering 87 degrees. I then scanned the inside of a slideout sidewall in direct sunlight and it registers 108 degrees. I then scanned the outside slideout and sidewall of the same area and it is reading 134 degrees. Obviously there is a huge difference with insulation or the width of the slideout vs regular wall. It is 100 degrees outside right not. Interesting......

By 7 pm, my RV inside temp typically reads 81 degrees with this type of heat. I have my thermostats set at 70 degrees on both of them. They have been running all day. I just replaced one air conditioner a few months ago. I have multiple fans running to circulate the air in the RV. I DO NOT turn on the ceiling fan. It makes it worse, I found out. It will be interesting to see what my RV inside temp will be on Friday. It is suppose to be 107 degrees outside!! HOT HOT HOT
Where in Texas?

I full time in Rockport with a 36 RL a year older than yours and just have not had a problem. I have the kitchen side oriented to the south so the big rear window is to the east and does not get the afternoon sun. One thing I do is keep the bedroom closet door closed all of the time. The PO insulated the cap but it can still get pretty warm in there after a day of direct sunshine. My window coverings are 2" Plantations style blinds, I keep those closed most of the time. I have a tech come out once or twice a year to clean the coils and do a general check up. Other than that I don't do much else to stay cool.

I keep the middle unit at 72 and adjust the rear unit up or down 4 or 5 degrees on either side of that when needed. My "comfort level" temp is around 70-72 and I can hold that all day if I am working from home or bring the unit down to that when i come home in just a few minutes. (I set the rear unit to 78 when I leave.)

I hope some of those tips help

HTX