Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 03:10 PM   #1

Television in Side Compartment

Wife and I just moved into a new 38 MB. Love it so far, but have a question.

We have a flat screen TV in a side compartment. It's just down from the exterior door.

Can that TV be connected easily to our Direct TV DVR? How about the RV park cable TV outlet? Ok, if neither of those, how about the RV antennae?

Thanks for the help.
2015 Redwood RV (39MB)
GCAKIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #2

We also have a t.v. On the outside when they installed it the cable for cable tv and the antennae is already there but not for direct tv we also have direct tv it won't work without a cable box
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
We also have a t.v. On the outside when they installed it the cable for cable tv and the antennae is already there but not for direct tv we also have direct tv it won't work without a cable box

I think direct tv requires each tv to have it's own cable box. At least that's how it is in my brick and sticks home. Adam Ant has talked quite a bit about the tv stuff. you might want to private message him.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

Look into the new wireless boxes - maybe that's a solution?

Or, you could put a splitter off one of your boxes as the signals are scrambled before the box, but it would have to display the same station as the split one...

also an rf remote would make changing channels a lot easier
AND, the same brand of tv so you could program the satellite remote one time to control the tv might help!

We discovered something neat on our last trip...

At home we have the whole house dvr and genie satellite boxes in each room... this allows you to watch recorded shows on any tv...

Since we don't have the genie's in the rv and the bedroom directv box is just a regular hd box, didn't think the br tv would be anything other than a live tv only...

BUT, I can actually watch the recorded programs from the dvr in the living room in the br !!! nice surprise !!! and with headphones, I can catch up on my sports while the wife and dog snooze away
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #5

Ours was one of the first outside TVs, and it went in the basement so not sure I'm talking apples to apples, or even if the attached wiring diagram applies but ours functioned off the roof antenna as delivered from the factory (Dealer had it running when we got there), and there was an additional jack from satellite, but unfortunately it was not a direct run, it was a run that spanned the living room and bedroom TVs with a splitter. Once you have the wiring figured out, its easy to remove the splitter and I have independent HD at all 3 TVs.

I have mine configured to work on Dish Hopper/Joey, but I'm not a DirecTV expert. As John says, I believe it would be simple with the DirecTV Genie wireless.

You might check with Vic (Adamsrv), as I believe he uses DirecTV.

You would do yourself a favor to ask the Dealer for any drawings they email you. They say no more than yes, but once you have them life gets much easier.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite.pdf (10.5 KB, 25 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Ours was one of the first outside TVs, and it went in the basement so not sure I'm talking apples to apples, or even if the attached wiring diagram applies but ours functioned off the roof antenna as delivered from the factory (Dealer had it running when we got there), and there was an additional jack from satellite, but unfortunately it was not a direct run, it was a run that spanned the living room and bedroom TVs with a splitter. Once you have the wiring figured out, its easy to remove the splitter and I have independent HD at all 3 TVs.

I have mine configured to work on Dish Hopper/Joey, but I'm not a DirecTV expert. As John says, I believe it would be simple with the DirecTV Genie wireless.

You might check with Vic (Adamsrv), as I believe he uses DirecTV.

You would do yourself a favor to ask the Dealer for any drawings they email you. They say no more than yes, but once you have them life gets much easier.

As AA said, we have Directv. Our RL is an early 2012, made in the summer of 2011. We had an authorized Winegaurd dealer install our Slimline Traveler on our unit. He had a dickens of a time toning our cable runs out. Come to find out, Redwood had too many spitters and poor cable connections to close the loop. We opted to run a deadicated coax from the antenna directly to the Directv receiver.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsvr View Post
We opted to run a deadicated coax from the antenna directly to the Directv receiver.
How in the world did you run a coax from the roof to the sat receiver?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
How in the world did you run a coax from the roof to the sat receiver?
The Wineguard tech drilled through the roof into the cabinets above the rear window of our RL. Then ran the coax along the back of the window trim, and through the floor. Next he took it along the wiring harness under the slide and up through the back of the fireplace and up to the Directv receiver. If I was to do it again, I'd have him run two coaxs's so we could record multiple shows at a time. The installation is barely noticeable.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #9

Man, that WAS work!!!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
Man, that WAS work!!!
Not as much as tracing Redwood's cable runs. He took four hours trying to tone them out to no avail. Now we have crystal clear DTV pictures without any splitters.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:37 AM   #11

We recently ordered a 38gk and added Direct TV via Wineguard Traveler dish. I had to pay $250.per TV to have it totally Direct TV ready. It will have 3 boxes.
Full timers Oct 2014
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:18 AM   #12

Not sure what you mean, Redwood is installing for you? Or the dealer? and what boxes are you talking about?
Old 05-27-2014, 03:59 AM   #13

Windish RV is installing the Wineguard dish for Direct TV and wiring for the satellite boxes at each tv set.
Full timers Oct 2014
Old 05-27-2014, 04:18 AM   #14

Sometimes what I write makes good sense to me. Not so much to everyone else. LOL Just keep calling me out and I will explain.
Full timers Oct 2014
Old 05-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #15

Recently, I've seen commercials on TV stating we no longer need cable connections or extra received boxes for all but the main TV for DirecTV. Sure would have been nice to have that when we installed ours. Guess it's in response to the Hopper/ Joey from Dish.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #16

Actually, I was hoping that retirement into our GK would help wean us off TV altogether. We only watch a couple of hours a day at most now, news and stuff, and I'd prefer to spend my evenings with my photography or riding a bike. So RW, in their wisdom, loads us up with three of the silly boxes, LOL. We've never had more than one TV in the house, and Angele won't have one in the bedroom (too bad, honey, we have one now :-) ). I'm going to try to sell the outside unit back to the dealer - I can't imagine a situation in which I'd use it (we aren't tailgaters). I really wish we'd had some options on this! But then I guess we do - pull out the superfluous units and get some extra storage space.
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
Actually, I was hoping that retirement into our GK would help wean us off TV altogether. We only watch a couple of hours a day at most now, news and stuff, and I'd prefer to spend my evenings with my photography or riding a bike. So RW, in their wisdom, loads us up with three of the silly boxes, LOL. We've never had more than one TV in the house, and Angele won't have one in the bedroom (too bad, honey, we have one now :-) ). I'm going to try to sell the outside unit back to the dealer - I can't imagine a situation in which I'd use it (we aren't tailgaters). I really wish we'd had some options on this! But then I guess we do - pull out the superfluous units and get some extra storage space.

We don't watch much tv out side. I think I'd use that extra outside area as a wine rack
Old 05-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
We don't watch much tv out side. I think I'd use that extra outside area as a wine rack
Do they make any REALLY narrow 'fridges? About one beer can deep? That would be a good use for that space, or maybe a dry bar...
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Roadrunners View Post
Windish RV is installing the Wineguard dish for Direct TV and wiring for the satellite boxes at each tv set.
Holy buckets! Given they are already Satellite ready, I'm not sure what the $250 per TV set is for? Not even the receivers are that expensive!
Old 05-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #20

Just curious...the early entries with the outside TV compartment had no insulation between the dinette hutch and the outside. Friends with a 36RL with this situation were complaining about the lack of such and how they had added insulation to keep the cold out. I mentioned this to Jim L. and Hilton Riggins @ the Tampa show.

Have they remedied this, does anyone know whether they are now adding insulation in this area of the new Redwoods?