Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

Surge protector - hard wired

I'm hoping that someone who has one hard wired in the front compartment can post a pic of where it was located. With all of the stuff that's packed into the battery area, I can't seem to find the room that would be needed to provide a stable mounting platform.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #2

Tom - we have a hard wired surge guard. We don't have a genny, so it is on the rear bulkhead on the genny side of the fwd comp. Sorry, but can't get a photograph as we don't get home for another 2 weeks.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #3

Our surge protector is mounted in our "Dad's Closet"
Old 06-21-2014, 11:43 PM   #4

Thanks, Andy. No need for a pic if yours is mounted in that location. I don't have that option.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:14 AM   #5

I'll snap a picture for you tomorrow Tom. I installed mine just below the transfer switch ( above the batteries) I mounted a small piece of plywood first and then the Progressive unit on the ply....
trfield58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:31 AM   #6

Tom,

I mounted mine above the generator heat shield on the bulkhead. I used one of the rectangular knockouts in the floor of the generator cabinet (because I was installing the generator) to span the studs on the bulkhead, then mounted the surge suppressor to it.

From there it was easy to intercept the line coming in from the cord receptacle to the transfer switch. I pulled shore line wiring from the transfer switch and ran it to my suppressor, then ran new wire from the suppressor to the transfer switch. I didn't want my suppressor on the generator feed.

Hard to read the data - if I did it again I would have went for the remote display and put it in the basement somewhere, or even up in the closet by the other switches.

NOTE: in the first picture the unit is actually upside down in error. The instructions were wrong and I had to take back down and turn it over. Progressive apologized.

The black hose over the top of the suppressor is actually my LP feed to the generator.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:58 AM   #7

Thanks guys.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:31 AM   #8

Spindrift I mounted our just like Atom did with one exception. If you don’t have a generator and use a portable one like us you will have a problem with a open ground. And that will not let power through. Just doing its job. Theres 2 ways around this. one you could use a bonding plug. What this is is the connection of the ground and neutral prong of a male plug with a wire and simply plug that into the 120 of your generator. Very mixed reviews and most don't recommend it but many have done it for years with no problems. Or plan 2 and this is what I did. Get 2 50amp dryer plugs both male and female and and wire them so you can plug them together to either use the surge protector or you and simply change the plugs and eliminate the surge protector. When using a portable generator I was told that they already have built in surge protection and one is not needed. Especially the newer inverter gen’s. Just another idea.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:34 AM   #9
Site Team

I mounted mine vertically next to the "Firebox"
Old 06-26-2014, 05:07 AM   #10

OK, so I am a marine engineer and not a EE, UNDRPSI, if I use my portable 3000 K honda generator with a 50 to 30 amp adapter in order to-plug my trailer into the portable generator my surge suppressor will not allow the current to power up my trailer?
Please explain as I do not understand why it will not work.
Thanks
CV67Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDRPSI View Post
Spindrift I mounted our just like Atom did with one exception. If you don’t have a generator and use a portable one like us you will have a problem with a open ground. And that will not let power through. Just doing its job. Theres 2 ways around this. one you could use a bonding plug. What this is is the connection of the ground and neutral prong of a male plug with a wire and simply plug that into the 120 of your generator. Very mixed reviews and most don't recommend it but many have done it for years with no problems. Or plan 2 and this is what I did. Get 2 50amp dryer plugs both male and female and and wire them so you can plug them together to either use the surge protector or you and simply change the plugs and eliminate the surge protector. When using a portable generator I was told that they already have built in surge protection and one is not needed. Especially the newer inverter gen’s. Just another idea.
One other option if you have the remote is to just flip the "Bypass" switch for the surge protector. Just be sure to flip it back when you stop using the generator.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #12

I'm not an EE either (just a dumb Mech Eng!), but the Honda genny has something called a "floating neutral". I have portable surge guards (a 50 amp and 30 amp) and I don't use a guard when I run our 3K Honda. I do note that the power bar in the entertainment area that has a surge protector lights up a warning indicator when I'm running the Honda. I prefer the portable surge guard because of the flexibility that I have. I don't think you need a surge guard when running the Honda
Old 06-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
One other option if you have the remote is to just flip the "Bypass" switch for the surge protector. Just be sure to flip it back when you stop using the generator.
The remote has a bypass? Oh man another reason to buy the remote version! Wonder if mine has one on the box.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #14

Yeah, that would be nice. My hard wired Surge Guard does not have that feature.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #15

http://www.noshockzone.org/generator...utral-bonding/

Great article...even better Web site for all you techies.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
http://www.noshockzone.org/generator...utral-bonding/

Great article...even better Web site for all you techies.
Wow !! That is a heck of a read. We have a portable Yamaha that we have not tried yet, so that might be something to look at. Thanks for a great article !!

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:38 AM   #17

Power will get to you surge protector but because your coach is not ground to the ground like a house is it sees a OPEN GROUND and that stops the surge protector from sending power through. Surge protectors are not needed on Honda generators or most others. You can make up a plug like I said above or you can eliminate the surge protector If it is a portable one or you did something like I did mine.
A WORD OF CAUTION!!! if you make up the bonding male plug (hooking the ground and neutral together then just plug in to the generators 120 outlet) PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT OUT BEFORE YOU USE IT TO RUN YOUR HOUSE!!!! Very important!!!!!
This will cause harm to you generator if you leave it in and hook up to your house. I found out the hard way and cooked the board in the generator. Make up the plug, plug it in and you’ll here the click.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote