Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Well I installed or should I say hard wired my surge protector in and when I hooked up my generator through the shore side it came up with a E-2 error. Meaning a Open Ground. So I shut down the generator double checked my wiring and everything was good. So I started looking to see what a open ground was. And I guess it's a ground wire that is not hooked up on the 110 side. Some where! So I went through and checked everything and could not find anything. Only thing I didn't check was the ac units. Now everything worked before and now that it shows a error it wont let power past the surge protector. I'm afraid to by pass or eliminate the surge protector to see if it (surge protector) is the problem but I not sure everything is ok now because of the error. I know everything was working with the generator setup before. So I guess it's a call to Progressive tech line to see what they think could be wrong. Anyone else run into this when installing one?

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #2

I think that is a common problem with a hard wired EMS and Generator operation. I've read of the problem on the MOC Forum and I believe there is a work-around, but since I have a Portable EMS I never really paid that close attention. It has to do with bonding the Neutral and Ground together but again, not exactly sure where it's done. My guess is that you didn't do anything wrong, it's just that the EMS is looking at the neutral and gound. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #3

Check the connections in the electrical box of the king pin box where the TV cable comes into your unit. Some of the wires may have come loose. Suggest you check only one cable set at a time. There should be seven or eight wire nut connections.

The large green ground wire should have four white wires secured with a wire nut.Edited by: Adamsvr
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #4

Well from what I have been told and reading, I found a posted question asking almost the exact same question only difference was this guy was using a smaller portable generator then mine. And from what they are saying is that portable generators are not grounded. So when using a portable generator on your shore connection you need to bond the ground and the neutral together because most P/G aren't. I guess by doing this it completes the ground. I'm still asking questions and find out more info. Thanks for the info. guy's.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #5

Update: 5 mins and a male plug and all is well. Took a male plug and hooked the ground and silver or neutral side together with a piece of #12 bare wire. Make sure you are not touching the gold or hot side of the plug with this wire. Plugged this in to the open 115 outlet of my generator. This completed the ground circuit and </span>I now have no codesand the surge protector let the power through. There seems to be mixed reviews about this but for the most part this is what they tell you to do with a portable generator.</span>