Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #1

We are Snowbirds wintering in Fulton,Texas, looking tokeep our Redwood 36RL here all year. Would appreciate ideas as to properly store it ----- beyond winterizing, as it will be hot and humid during summer.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #2

We have used those water collection containers. But you have to check on them. At home we use a dehumidfier plumbed into the sink. Plus vent covers and leave them cracked slightly. If you have no power source you have to maintain air flow somehow. Humidity is a killer and after the mold or mildew has struck it is hard to remove it. Been there!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnew

We are Snowbirds wintering in Fulton,Texas, looking tokeep our Redwood 36RL here all year. Would appreciate ideas as to properly store it ----- beyond winterizing, as it will be hot and humid during summer.
Vent covers with the vents open will keep the unit from getting too hot. Make sure you turn off the master power switch so you don't return to dead batteries. Also make sure the water traps are filled an the sink drain stoppers are closed so the drains evaporate slower.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #4

Someone in our park suggested leaving our 2 A/Cs on but temperature settings in the mid-eightys as wecould maintain land power while away --- slides would be retracted. Don't know the cost of power and am wondering if that might be a decent choice. Any thoughts? Thanks to Tobys Home & Dave & Ginny for their responce
Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Site Team

If the slide are kept out, the unit will get hotter inside because the slide are least insulated. If you're going to go away and not come back for a few weeks I'd bring in the slides. If you have shore power than I'd activate the automatic vent vans so when it got above 78 degrees they would start up. I wouldn't put the extra stress on the a/c units unless you were going to be coming back every night or every couple of days.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

I made the mistake of storing one of my previous coaches in the humidity during the summer months. The coach was stored indoors (not climate controlled) and I did everything that has already been suggested. I would not/will not do that again. The humidity raised havoc on my coach. I would suggest hauling the coach back north with you out of the humidity if possible. The cost to haul it to drier climates will be far less than trying to fix the damage. just my two cents worth.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnew

Someone in our park suggested leaving our 2 A/Cs on but temperature settings in the mid-eightys as wecould maintain land power while away --- slides would be retracted. Don't know the cost of power and am wondering if that might be a decent choice. Any thoughts? Thanks to Tobys Home & Dave & Ginny for their responce

I agree with them. We did this with our King of the road last summer while enjoying our new Redwood. Worked out great!

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #8

UNSDPSI, I guess I didn'tunderstand who you were agreeing with. We don't have a 5th wheel tow vehicle. Iwould feel very uncomfortable moving it myself --- even ifwe could justify the cost of a tow vehicle. My wife has family on the coast, thats why we choose a REDWOOD as it seemed to offer an alternative to a house ---- new, updated,park with seniors, pool, hot tub, etc.. We have a 36RL with washer,dryer, generator, convection/mirowave, etc.. A lot down here is cheaper by the year ( 6 months full time and 6 months parked on same lot).In Minnesota we have a nice house to enjoy when the weather is nice and moderate. Ifnot kept here,we would have to store it some where else thats suitable. In any caseit's not leaving Texas, but I'm soaking up all suggestions. Thanks ALL!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #9

Iamnew
I agree with whom ever told you to turn your AC's to auto and set them to low to mid 80's. This will keep your Redwood nice inside. My folks have a winter home in FL and they do this when the leave in the spring. And they have no shade around there home. Just my 2 c's

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #10

Thank you UNDRPSI for your post.