Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2015, 06:02 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 190
Storing - Winterizing new RW 38GK

Hi all! We have been following this forum for 3 years this month. Finally, next weekend we are flying from So. Calif to Memphis to perform the PDI on our new 2015 38GK. Unfortunately, we are having to put it in storage there until next Feb or March at which time we will drive back to retrieve it and bring it back to California. The secure storage facility has a roof, but not enclosed.
I need advice on prepping it and storing it for the winter with no shore power available. Some of my questions: Do I disconnect the batteries? Do I dare leave the leveling jacks down? Winterizing the plumbing? Venting the interior? What else?
Being from SoCal, and having owned several different RVs, I have no experience winterizing. This is our first Fifth-Wheel. So as I need to prep this coach right the first time for the 5-6 months of storage with no ability to check on it, I will value your advice. (Not sure I will be able to sleep at night till we finally pick it up!!)
Looking forward to posting our signature/picture after next weekend.
__________________
Ken & Patty
2015 38GK Onan DW W-D Disks MorRyde IS & Pin-box Trav'ler 2015 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW Duramax
"Who lives sees much; Who travels sees more!"
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379
Leaving your jacks down will take the weight off the suspension and tires. Close up the slides and vents to help keep the critters out. Yes disconnect the batteries (not fun). And yes winterize the unit and make sure you winterize the ice maker, dishwasher and clothes washer. It should take about 6 gallons of the pink stuff.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Congratulations!!

Maybe the Dealer will winterize for you?

Definitely disconnect the battery cables. I typically use the autolevel to level, then retract the rear 4 jacks for storage. No real reason other than thats how I did it the first time and it caught on.

By the way, why do you have to wait to bring it back? That would be a fun drive!
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
Site Team
 
hoosierguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4us2 View Post
Hi all! We have been following this forum for 3 years this month. Finally, next weekend we are flying from So. Calif to Memphis to perform the PDI on our new 2015 38GK. Unfortunately, we are having to put it in storage there until next Feb or March at which time we will drive back to retrieve it and bring it back to California. The secure storage facility has a roof, but not enclosed.
I need advice on prepping it and storing it for the winter with no shore power available. Some of my questions: Do I disconnect the batteries? Do I dare leave the leveling jacks down? Winterizing the plumbing? Venting the interior? What else?
Being from SoCal, and having owned several different RVs, I have no experience winterizing. This is our first Fifth-Wheel. So as I need to prep this coach right the first time for the 5-6 months of storage with no ability to check on it, I will value your advice. (Not sure I will be able to sleep at night till we finally pick it up!!)
Looking forward to posting our signature/picture after next weekend.

If you absolutely have to leave it in Tennessee, I would have the dealer winterize the coach and watch their every move to make sure they cover all the bases. I had the Redwood factory service center winterize mine the first winter and it cost $75.00. That was 4 years ago.

My big question is, why not take the coach back to California now? You could at least enjoy having it near you during the winter instead of worrying about it for 5 months.
__________________
Guy & Phyllis
2012 RW36RL,DualA/C,KodiakDiskBrakes,TrailAir Tri-Glide,GY_G614's,Mor/RydeSRE4000,HDShackles/WetBolts
2011Dodge3500Laramie,CrewCab,4x4,SRW,Michelins, LongBed,6.7LCTD,3.73,PullRiteSuper5th20.5KHitch, BlueOxBedsaver

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 190
I very much wish I could bring it back now, believe me! And, my new truck is screaming at me to give it a load! But I'm still working full time, and have too many obligations to take off for 2-3 weeks. We're planning on meeting up with some family when we do go back next year in eastern Tennessee, and then head back. I know this is a bit unusual, but I could not pass up the deal I got. Even with the cost to fly back, storage fee, then drive back there and bring it back to CA, it was still a good deal.
__________________
Ken & Patty
2015 38GK Onan DW W-D Disks MorRyde IS & Pin-box Trav'ler 2015 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW Duramax
"Who lives sees much; Who travels sees more!"
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:10 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
2-3 weeks! Shoot I could have that baby home in a week including the drive out there

I work full time, and we bought ours in Texas. Drove down, things didn't work, left the truck at the airport and we flew home then flew back when they called back. Awesome - because we were able to do it over a couple of weekends.
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:37 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
danrn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Leaving your jacks down will take the weight off the suspension and tires. Close up the slides and vents to help keep the critters out. Yes disconnect the batteries (not fun). And yes winterize the unit and make sure you winterize the ice maker, dishwasher and clothes washer. It should take about 6 gallons of the pink stuff.
Just what Dave said, and remember to hit the hot water by pass valve. No need to fill it.
__________________
Dan & Connie
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 Diesel Dually
2015 Redwood 38GK
2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:59 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 467
I have always left vents or windows open, at least a little for ventilation. Both in Ohio and Florida. I would also not leave the rear jacks down. And lastly, you have to disconnect the batteries to possibly avoid damage from a full discharge. Unfortunately the battery disconnect doesn't completely do that.

Mark
__________________
2013 36RE, 2008 GMC 3500CC DRW
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:44 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
2-3 weeks! Shoot I could have that baby home in a week including the drive out there

I work full time, and we bought ours in Texas. Drove down, things didn't work, left the truck at the airport and we flew home then flew back when they called back. Awesome - because we were able to do it over a couple of weekends.
We'll see....If i do start to loose sleep worrying about this baby 1800 miles away, I'll suddenly have to come down with the flu and go get it. I know I can get there in 3 days and maybe 5 or 6 days hauling it back. But this would not be how I envisioned our maiden voyage to be like.
__________________
Ken & Patty
2015 38GK Onan DW W-D Disks MorRyde IS & Pin-box Trav'ler 2015 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW Duramax
"Who lives sees much; Who travels sees more!"
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
johnboytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,054
Having had a 38gk and family in Memphis (well, Cordova) and visiting over the holidays, it WILL freeze there and the 38gk probably will have issues from it...

The Icemaker line and shower valves froze even here in Texas while at ExploerUSA when they didn't winterize like they said they would...

at least I had a paper trail where they said they did and they fixed it after some 'discussion' and 3 or 4 calls to Redwood, but having a 3 month old rv in the shop for that was less than encouraging

While draining and blowing out the lines will do most of it, it won't do the valves and low hanging outside lines like the ice maker line...

I would pay for the extra antifreeze (cheap at walmart) and have them not only blow out the lines, but fill all the lines with the pink stuff... including making pink ice so it's everywhere.
__________________
Ours: '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT followed closely by '14 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler.
Hers: '13 Explorer Sport - AWD 365hp twin turbo scooter!
Previous: '13 Ford F350 CC Platinum and '13 38GK
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 190
This may be a stupid question...Is there a gravity fill on these RW's to add the pink stuff?
My last MH did not and I had to get creative to add some bleach to sanitize the fresh water tank.
__________________
Ken & Patty
2015 38GK Onan DW W-D Disks MorRyde IS & Pin-box Trav'ler 2015 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW Duramax
"Who lives sees much; Who travels sees more!"
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Having had a 38gk and family in Memphis (well, Cordova) and visiting over the holidays, it WILL freeze there and the 38gk probably will have issues from it...

The Icemaker line and shower valves froze even here in Texas while at ExploerUSA when they didn't winterize like they said they would...

at least I had a paper trail where they said they did and they fixed it after some 'discussion' and 3 or 4 calls to Redwood, but having a 3 month old rv in the shop for that was less than encouraging

While draining and blowing out the lines will do most of it, it won't do the valves and low hanging outside lines like the ice maker line...

I would pay for the extra antifreeze (cheap at walmart) and have them not only blow out the lines, but fill all the lines with the pink stuff... including making pink ice so it's everywhere.
I've always thought if your using pink stuff, there's no need to blow the lines first. And if the lines are blown out properly, there's no need for the pink stuff other than the traps. Also a bit in the tanks.

I've only winterized with antifreeze 1 time in 25 seasons of doing it. We've seen -20f 3-4 times in that time.

Mark
__________________
2013 36RE, 2008 GMC 3500CC DRW
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4us2 View Post
This may be a stupid question...Is there a gravity fill on these RW's to add the pink stuff?
My last MH did not and I had to get creative to add some bleach to sanitize the fresh water tank.
I'm not familiar with your trailer, you should find a capped hose end near your city water hookup. It should be at the bottom. It might even be coiled up behind there and accessible thru a door at the side. There should be a round hole to pull it thru. Take the cap off the hose, put it in the bottom of the jug of antifreeze and turn the pump on. It should draw it in. They should go over this during your PDI.

Mark
__________________
2013 36RE, 2008 GMC 3500CC DRW
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
We have the wash machine and dishwasher. It can't be winterized by blowing out.

I blow down the the lines to the HW tank before bypass, and the tank flush, then to the antifreeze. Two areas I never let antifreeze get to - the HW tank and the freshwater tank, as it would take forever to flush those out.
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4us2 View Post
We'll see....If i do start to loose sleep worrying about this baby 1800 miles away, I'll suddenly have to come down with the flu and go get it. I know I can get there in 3 days and maybe 5 or 6 days hauling it back. But this would not be how I envisioned our maiden voyage to be like.
Ya I understand that.

So what is your plan to get it serviced? We have never been back to our original Dealer. Fortunately our local Dealer took us in. You should expect to need to return to the Dealer for a list of finds after your first time out, which could involve an additional couple of weeks, and in some cases months. Stuff you don't catch in the PDI.
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
We have the wash machine and dishwasher. It can't be winterized by blowing out.

I blow down the the lines to the HW tank before bypass, and the tank flush, then to the antifreeze. Two areas I never let antifreeze get to - the HW tank and the freshwater tank, as it would take forever to flush those out.
I've never had to deal with those so didn't think of them. I wouldn't want the stuff in the water heater or fresh tank either. I made the mistake with my fresh tank the first time on the first trailer.

Mark
__________________
2013 36RE, 2008 GMC 3500CC DRW
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
I've never had to deal with those so didn't think of them. I wouldn't want the stuff in the water heater or fresh tank either. I made the mistake with my fresh tank the first time on the first trailer.

Mark
Ya my daughter did that on her truck camper a few years ago, and even that little tank took months to stop foaming after continuous flushing through that little drain.
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:31 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
rob_fla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,645
Wow, I am glad we have never had to use the Pink Stuff in any of our RVs, sounds like a PITA !!!!
__________________
Robert & Sheryl
2014 Redwood 38FL
MoRyde 8K IS, Disc Brakes, MoRyde Pin Box
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #19
Site Team
 
hoosierguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
Wow, I am glad we have never had to use the Pink Stuff in any of our RVs, sounds like a PITA !!!!

Rob.............it's not really that bad. Everybody just likes to overblow this type of thing. I have done the process in about 10 to 15 minutes with 3 gal. of pink. I have even put a gallon of pink in the fresh water tank and then flushed a couple of times in the spring and it's ready to go. Of course mine is a little easier because I don't have a dish washer, ice maker or clothes washer which certainly would make a difference.
__________________
Guy & Phyllis
2012 RW36RL,DualA/C,KodiakDiskBrakes,TrailAir Tri-Glide,GY_G614's,Mor/RydeSRE4000,HDShackles/WetBolts
2011Dodge3500Laramie,CrewCab,4x4,SRW,Michelins, LongBed,6.7LCTD,3.73,PullRiteSuper5th20.5KHitch, BlueOxBedsaver

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:01 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
No, its not bad. I've been doing it for 40 years, and I do it 4-5 times a year because I use my rig in the Winter. I've winterized in sunny Arizona at truck stops before coming home to freezing Denver.

Put I still don't put it in the fresh water tank - Yeck-pooey
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×