Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #1

Start up supplies needed

Happy Thanksgiving again,
Was looking at a site this morning on start up items, and he talked about RV tissue paper, instead of common household tissue?
Also water pressure regulator was recommended, which made sense, and a water filter. We ordered our 39MB with a built in water filter do we also need one at hose connect?
Know I will need a lot more than just these items, just curious.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #2

You won't need an external water filter - the built in takes care of that. Regulators are not completely necessary, but nice to have if you come across a high pressure campsite. Toilet tissue should be RV or a cheap single ply household tissue suitable for septic systems.

Consider a:

higher end sewer hose, 2 section that can be combined into 1 length (Note Rinoflex couplings will not fit in the factory tube without modification)

sewer hose support system, expandable or similar type

good non-kink water hose (use the factory one for flushing the gray tank only)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
You won't need an external water filter - the built in takes care of that. Regulators are not completely necessary, but nice to have if you come across a high pressure campsite. Toilet tissue should be RV or a cheap single ply household tissue suitable for septic systems.

Consider a:

higher end sewer hose, 2 section that can be combined into 1 length (Note Rinoflex couplings will not fit in the factory tube without modification)

sewer hose support system, expandable or similar type

good non-kink water hose (use the factory one for flushing the gray tank only)
AA-Quick question,why not flush your grey tank with the hose in the shower and connection compartment? I do and thats how I found out on cold it was draining my hot water tank,now fixed I hope. Larry
TerLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerLar View Post
AA-Quick question,why not flush your grey tank with the hose in the shower and connection compartment? I do and thats how I found out on cold it was draining my hot water tank,now fixed I hope. Larry
Ah I messed up, I meant Black tank through the supplied flush. I always use a separate hose for that, mainly because it drains back from the antisyphon valve back out through the hose. I was thinking Gray because my dedicated hose I use for that is gray so I don't inadvertently use it for potable water. I also use that dedicated gray hose to hook up to the dump station non-potable water source to flush the tank when necessary.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

I don't know about everybody else but I did not get bags for the central vacuum. I kept trying to figure out how all the dirt was getting in the basement I check the place where the bag should have been and no bag, so all the times I vacuum the dirt blown into the basement.

As far as toilet paper goes I use to build Waste Water Treatment plants. I saw a lot of items comes through to pipes, but toilet paper was not one of them. It dissolves really quick. So use whatever paper you want to.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticman1957 View Post
I don't know about everybody else but I did not get bags for the central vacuum. I kept trying to figure out how all the dirt was getting in the basement I check the place where the bag should have been and no bag, so all the times I vacuum the dirt blown into the basement.

As far as toilet paper goes I use to build Waste Water Treatment plants. I saw a lot of items comes through to pipes, but toilet paper was not one of them. It dissolves really quick. So use whatever paper you want to.
There is a huge difference between a Waste Water Treatment Plant and an RV holding tank. The treatment plant isn't seeing anything until its traveled a few miles.

If you use standard paper you run a big risk of it clogging at the valved outlet, and it is NOT fun to fix. Some of the standard papers are coated in lotion, and that stuff holds together forever.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #7

You can always go to the YouTube video that illustrates how you can determine whether or not a certain TP is safe for your RV black tank. Pretty neat video.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #8

ok, my outside shower also drains my water heater on cold, what did you do to change that. Any tp that is 'septic safe' will be labeled such on the packaging.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #9

Haven't used rv tp for over 6 years, septic safe of whatever DW likes & never had a problem. The rv tp cost about 3 times as much as any other.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #10

Get a good adjustable water regulator, not one of those crappy rv things.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:24 AM   #11

Lots of folks were using Angel Soft, but they changed a few years ago to make it stronger, so we have switched to single ply Scott. Don't fall for the RV Toilet Paper Scam.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:24 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerLar View Post

I am really curious about your comment relative to draining the hot water heater when you back flush the black tank. I have the same issue and have not been able to determine how it is happening. I connect the blue coiled hose from the utility convenience center cold water supply to a separate ball valve to the back flush inlet and every time it seems to empty the hot water tank. And yet, I have never felt the blue hose get hot. This has been a big puzzle to me so please explain how you resolved the issue.

Thanks, Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:37 AM   #13

[QUOTE=arcticman1957;40709]I don't know about everybody else but I did not get bags for the central vacuum. I kept trying to figure out how all the dirt was getting in the basement I check the place where the bag should have been and no bag, so all the times I vacuum the dirt blown into the basement.

I used the vacuum right off trying it out ...I was so excited to finally have one, our class A did not. My husband was in the basement checking things and whoever installed the cover and system had it jammed on so tight and screwed up it took him a good hour to get everything hooked up properly like it should. He popped his head out and says well look what I found holding up the bags as I handed him the broom and dust pan 😙
Old 11-28-2014, 01:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Ah I messed up, I meant Black tank through the supplied flush. I always use a separate hose for that, mainly because it drains back from the antisyphon valve back out through the hose. I was thinking Gray because my dedicated hose I use for that is gray so I don't inadvertently use it for potable water. I also use that dedicated gray hose to hook up to the dump station non-potable water source to flush the tank when necessary.
I also use a separate hose when flushing the black tank, mainly because of the "eeeeeewwwwww" factor, but in all honesty, the black tank flush has a check valve(kind of like a backflow preventer in the plumbing world) that keeps the "stuff" from coming back through the water hose. All you are supposed to get draining back is clean water on the hookup side of the flush check valve.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
ok, my outside shower also drains my water heater on cold, what did you do to change that. Any tp that is 'septic safe' will be labeled such on the packaging.
Very simple,I had the dealer "deal with it".I just brought our 14-36rl home the other day and it is winterized so will not know if it is fixed or not until I get to Florida in December.They said it was the one way valve at the heater but I really question that as I had trouble with that on my previous Montana and when I winterized it all the fluid came out the drained water heater.While running the cold out the blue coiled hose it only sucks a bit of hot and makes the cold luke warm.I think it is a Redwood design problem ????
TerLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
Happy Thanksgiving again,
Was looking at a site this morning on start up items, and he talked about RV tissue paper, instead of common household tissue?
Also water pressure regulator was recommended, which made sense, and a water filter. We ordered our 39MB with a built in water filter do we also need one at hose connect?
Know I will need a lot more than just these items, just curious.
if the wet toilet paper will dissolve in your hand it will dissolve in your tank.
Six year old aussie shepard (Remy)
Semi retired, looking for somewhere to go
Hard to stay home with this much stuff
redwoodin with remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:14 AM   #17

[QUOTE=Char & Steve;40747]
Quote:

I used the vacuum right off trying it out ...I was so excited to finally have one, our class A did not. My husband was in the basement checking things and whoever installed the cover and system had it jammed on so tight and screwed up it took him a good hour to get everything hooked up properly like it should. He popped his head out and says well look what I found holding up the bags as I handed him the broom and dust pan 😙
Kinda like a Redwood april fools joke, they got me too
Old 11-28-2014, 04:45 AM   #18

So I have no belief that my black water level sensor will ever work as advertised. I'm ok with that and willing to say that if you want to blame it on the t-paper I am using, fine I'd rather have comfy t-p then accurate black water holding tank readings.

That all said, I'm not getting the grey sensors.... I have now, after a short period of usage, 1 grey tank stuck on full and the other on 1/3 or above. When I drain the tanks completely the lights are still on.

Must be serious build up between sensors but the problem with that is I've only been in the coach for like 3 months.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 11-28-2014, 04:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaltman View Post
So I have no belief that my black water level sensor will ever work as advertised. I'm ok with that and willing to say that if you want to blame it on the t-paper I am using, fine I'd rather have comfy t-p then accurate black water holding tank readings.

That all said, I'm not getting the grey sensors.... I have now, after a short period of usage, 1 grey tank stuck on full and the other on 1/3 or above. When I drain the tanks completely the lights are still on.

Must be serious build up between sensors but the problem with that is I've only been in the coach for like 3 months.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Rid ex and laundry liquid, takes a while to work, but I have not had tank problems in years.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #20

Quote:

My bags were stuffed inside the basement unit, behind the door with the dirt devil logo. It came with three. Apparently, these bags can't be bought in a normal dept. store. They give a website where they can be ordered on the yellow sticker inside your RV, where you hook the hose up.