Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2019, 02:49 AM   #1

Splendide stackable dryer quit working

We have the Splendide Aeiston stackable washer and dyer un our 2913 36FB. We bought them new from Camping World, Ocala in late 2013 or the early part of 2014, making te set almost six years old. Since we fulltime, they have been used on an average of five times a week. The other morning when the wife went to dry a load of clothes, dhe set the timer and then pushed the START bottom. Nothing happened when she did! The dryer is dead, like it has no power at all.

I've already checked the outlet and breaker, which are both in good working order. hus eliminating an issue on our side of the circuit being the issue. So I'm left suspecting that either the on/off switch has gone bad, and/or the control mechanism has gone bad. My question is; If it were you and based upon the age and usage of the dyer, would you have the old one repaired, and chance another breakdown in the near or not so distant future, or go ahead and buy a new dryer, (same brand/model) to replace it? The wife found the same unit on sale at Camping World from just under $600.00 qnd with our membership it knocked it down to just over $500. I can see taking the old one to the appliance repair shop and possibly end up spending a few hundred on it, not knowing when the next breakdown will come. If we were having to pay full price for the new dryer, which is about $300.00 more, this would not even be a consideration, and the old one would be in the shop being repaired!
Eaton Fuller Super 10-speed Transmission
ET Senior Fifthwheel Hitch,articulating air ride pin box
Resident Lead Host @ Ross Prairie Trailhead & Campground
Gary Hage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #2

Gary,
Not being sure of your electrical skills or troubleshooting ability but, I too had a problem with my dryer. Situation was a little different in that in my case the unit tripped the circuit breaker for the receptacle due to a wiring fault.

I removed the dryer from the enclosure --> hardest part of the job. After disassembling the top of the dryer found that the infeed power cord insulation had melted causing the power leads to contact each other. Striped back and reconnected the wiring; been running fine since. Disassembly of the dryer is not too hard, but space is going to be an issue in the RV. My trailer is the 39MB so the bath is larger and had enough room.

If you have the skills / space / ability you may find that the solution is pretty easy. $500 is not a bad investment considering the age of the dryer... see if you can get them to give a steep discount on installation... That may make all the difference in the decision.

Best of luck in whatever decision you make. Reach out if you have additional questions.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:01 PM   #3

We had an issue with our Dryer, in that at times it would appear dead, but push on the plug it would work. Just recently got around to changing out the wall outlet. If checking with a meter there was power, just wouldn't always make contact with the Dryer's plug.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepunderh2o View Post
Gary,
Not being sure of your electrical skills or troubleshooting ability but, I too had a problem with my dryer. Situation was a little different in that in my case the unit tripped the circuit breaker for the receptacle due to a wiring fault.

I removed the dryer from the enclosure --> hardest part of the job. After disassembling the top of the dryer found that the infeed power cord insulation had melted causing the power leads to contact each other. Striped back and reconnected the wiring; been running fine since. Disassembly of the dryer is not too hard, but space is going to be an issue in the RV. My trailer is the 39MB so the bath is larger and had enough room.

If you have the skills / space / ability you may find that the solution is pretty easy. $500 is not a bad investment considering the age of the dryer... see if you can get them to give a steep discount on installation... That may make all the difference in the decision.

Best of luck in whatever decision you make. Reach out if you have additional questions.

Fairly skilled when it comes to the electrical troubleshooting part, I believe its in the on/off switch or the timer module itself. Could have ordered one or both and palyed "parts changer mechanic to see if that repaired it, ( which I believe most likely will) but we didn't wan to wait for parts to be shipped in and be down in the meantime, making the wife having to go to a local laundry to do our clothes. Especially since the new dryer for less than $600 was ready and available at the Camping World right here in Ocala where we live in our Redwood. I will repair the original unit in my leisure time and either keep it in storage for a future backup, or possibly just sell it (after the repair) for a few hundred dollars.

I was needing to pull the old unit out of the laundry closet at some point in the near future anyway, to check the water supply and drain hoses on the washing machine for possible fatigue and/or small leaks, even though there had not been any sign of either in the past. I also needed to check the vent hose leading from the dryer to the outside exhaust vent assembly and vent periscope for any buildup of lent since I had installed it almost seven years ago. Both were amazingly clean when I checked them. I also wasn't happy with the direct stackable feature of the units causing what I believe to be a high center of gravity, and had been wanting to change it to having a 3/4" thick plywood dryer shelf between the two units. It seemed that no matter how level and securely each foot of the washer sat on the floor, there was an unacceptable amount of vibration throughout the RV even though it is securely stabilized with a total of twelve frame support points. The 36FB is fairly easy to work with when it comes to installing/removing the washer and/or dryer from the laundry closet, and having a space just outside of the closet to work on them without having to take them outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WD inst 3.jpg (296.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3550.jpg (111.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4238.jpg (211.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4233 (2).jpg (268.5 KB, 3 views)
Eaton Fuller Super 10-speed Transmission
ET Senior Fifthwheel Hitch,articulating air ride pin box
Resident Lead Host @ Ross Prairie Trailhead & Campground
Gary Hage is offline   Reply With Quote