Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2015, 12:07 AM   #1

Southco Key less entry

Does anyone know where the receiver is located in the door? I have 2012 36RL with the two key fobs. This unit is powered by the contacts in the door.I recently found out that I could add a keypad but I have to program the key pad with the receiver. After some research most of the rigs that have this option the receiver is located under the window in the door. Since the RW does not have a window I hope someone knows where it is located. This is my first post and look forward to being part of the RW community.
crozen363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:39 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the group! I think you'll find the receiver built into the door handle itself. Take the inside of the handle off and you'll see it in there. There's probably 4 double "A" batteries in there too.

If you want to, you could reach out to Cade from RVLock is you have problems. He'll sell you a whole new up to date system. I've got one and love it.

Here's a thread http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...lock-2122.html
Old 04-12-2015, 12:47 AM   #3

You must have an earlier model like ours. We have a 2012 rl that has the Southco lock. They have since switched suppliers a couple of times. In order to get to the receiver, you need to take the door apart. It is inside the door, not the handle. I was lucky that I didn't have to get to it when I had issues with mine. Hope you're up to the challenge.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:50 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
You must have an earlier model like ours. We have a 2012 rl that has the Southco lock. They have since switched suppliers a couple of times. In order to get to the receiver, you need to take the door apart. It is inside the door, not the handle. I was lucky that I didn't have to get to it when I had issues with mine. Hope you're up to the challenge.
Is the lock size the same so he can just replace it?
Old 04-12-2015, 01:02 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crozen363 View Post
Does anyone know where the receiver is located in the door? I have 2012 36RL with the two key fobs. This unit is powered by the contacts in the door.I recently found out that I could add a keypad but I have to program the key pad with the receiver. After some research most of the rigs that have this option the receiver is located under the window in the door. Since the RW does not have a window I hope someone knows where it is located. This is my first post and look forward to being part of the RW community.

My Southco lock is the one that has the two contacts on the lower (hinge side) of the door to power the lock. There are no batteries involved in powering this lock. If yours is like mine, the receiver is just below the lock handle and is accessed from the inside of the door. You will have to remove the screws from the panel below below the inside handle. I believe the receiver is part of the lock actuator. Be forewarned and be careful that when you are doing the dis-assembly, there are some small screws that can easily be dropped and lost. When I took mine apart recently, I found there were 4 screws with nuts that were so loose that I nearly lost the nuts.

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:52 AM   #6

Thanks, I think I will have to take apart the door. the actuator that operates the lock is easy to get to. i might have to cut the door and cover it with a panel. Or I might just have to be content with the key fobs. Better half really wants the key pad> Already bought key pad and know it will work if I can get to the receiver. I will call the factory and see what they say.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:31 AM   #7

We had the same issue, needed to reprogram a new fob. Searched everywhere for the receiver, neither dealer nor redwood could tell us where it was. The receiver is located at the bottom of the door. We had to remove the screws at the bottom of the door (outside edges of the door). Remove the silicone all around the bottom and gently pry off the bottom trim. You can then see the receiver tucked in the slot in the insulation. Pull it down to program(following the programming instructions.). Remember the door needs to be closed to program it so it gets power which makes moving the receiver switches tricky. We needed 2 people to do the programming. Then just put the trim back on the bottom and silicone it. Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:05 AM   #8

thanks. I tried couldn"t figure how to get bottom of door off. Took the four screws out with a driver . It all seemed to be one piece
Old 04-14-2015, 12:59 AM   #9

Rolly and Laurie,

I finally figured how to take the bottom of the door off. I didn't even damage the paint. If you didn't tell me to make sure to close the door I don't know if i would have figured it out. Thanks to you I now have two key fobs and a key pad hooked up. Thanks
Old 04-14-2015, 01:36 AM   #10

Is that Roland posting??? Or Laurie for him!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:05 AM   #11

Glad it worked out.

Haha Danny.... He has people to do things for him.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:32 AM   #12

He's spoiled!!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crozen363 View Post
Rolly and Laurie,

I finally figured how to take the bottom of the door off. I didn't even damage the paint. If you didn't tell me to make sure to close the door I don't know if i would have figured it out. Thanks to you I now have two key fobs and a key pad hooked up. Thanks

Well, now it's my turn to try this. Anyone have any pictures of taking the door apart?
Old 02-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #14

You can give me a call it is easier for me to describe over the phone 239 633 3711