Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #1

Sounds

We just purchased our Redwood in Sept. of 2019 , it's a 2014 36RL. We have been hearing click and pop sounds. It happens when we walk, and then it happens when we just sitting watching TV. Sometimes it sounds like something has hit the camper, so i run outside, and nothing. Ok as i'm writing this forum, a double knock sound by the steps.
Please tell me someone knows what this is......
ricknnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
It is the hydraulic Jack's moving . Look back through the forum and there is all kinds of info on this.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #3

On our 2012 36RL we used to have the notorious sound from our front hydraulic jacks. I suppose it can happen to all of them. Settling of the coach is known to do this. There is a Lippert procedure to eliminate this, by removing a quart of your fluid in the reservoir and replacing with anti-stiction fluid. $8 to $20 per quart depending on the brand and where you purchase it from. I bought at a local motorcycle shop as it is RFF or racing fork fluid. I will try to attach the page for you so you don't need to look it up. If the noise is not from your jacks I am not sure what it is from.

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:09 AM   #4

agree with the anti stiction fluid in the hydraulic reservoir.

BUT.. ..

IF you also hear it while walking, and it sounds different, you MAY have a broken tress under the frame....

There have been a few owners reporting that the wels broke on the supports that are under the floor, when walking that causes the metal to rub or click.....

Just a thought...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #5

we thought that at first, but we now have our rv on Jacks bought from rv store, because we are staying in this spot for over a year. and the sounds are coming from everywhere. the roof the side wall,, thanks for your input....
Old 01-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #6

Oh goodness, i pray to God that's not what it is,,,, but yes,,, we hear some popping while walking...
Old 01-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #7

You should be using the jack system on your RV they are positioned to best support the frame of the RV. If you have placed jacks under the RV on the frame you will hear more creaks from the frame. You can also put some blocks under the Jacks so they do not extend as far down this will reduce the popping noise as they are not extended as far down. We lived in our RW for two years while building new house and i just retracted and reset them every 2 months no issues. I did place a Couple screw jacks at the very back for added support and to take some of the wobble out of the trailer when moving around inside.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
You should be using the jack system on your RV they are positioned to best support the frame of the RV. If you have placed jacks under the RV on the frame you will hear more creaks from the frame. You can also put some blocks under the Jacks so they do not extend as far down this will reduce the popping noise as they are not extended as far down. We lived in our RW for two years while building new house and i just retracted and reset them every 2 months no issues. I did place a Couple screw jacks at the very back for added support and to take some of the wobble out of the trailer when moving around inside.

I agree completely. Our coach has been on its hydraulic jacks for 8 years with no problems, whether we are living in it for 3 to 4 months in Florida or it is in storage in my barn in Indiana, I re-level it periodically. The hydraulic system will settle some, so when we are living in it, I re-level it about once per month. Our hydraulic jack popping has not been as bad as some have experienced. Also, the hydraulic jack system is designed to support the coach correctly.

I do have one steel truss that is popping when we walk across that part of the floor behind the island. It has been popping since about our 3rd year of ownership but not severe enough for me to pursue any correction. If I can make it to the owners Rally this summer, I may try to have the factory technicians take a look to see if it needs to be corrected.

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #9

We use these

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...0&currency=USD

We had the noise as well but found these jack blocks. No more sound. Also they have magnets on them so much easier to lower the jacks.
Cliff & Julie Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote