Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 05:53 AM   #1

Solar Prep ?

2015 38RL....do these units come with solar prep ?...if so....any idea where the wires are located for the controller ?...Thanks...Wes

2015 38RL...Loaded
2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #2

I can't answer your question, and honestly don't know if my Redwood has solar prep. If Redwood fivers are like most rv's, the solar prep allows for a very limited system. Just enough to maybe trickle charge the batteries.
Is that what you desire to accomplish, or are you looking for a "real" solar set-up? If looking for a "real" system, I recommend reading Handy Bob's stuff on solar. He's a bit out there for some folks, and some say he's wrong, but his systems work. Jack Mayer's stuff on RV electrical is is good information, as is Marx's 12 volt side of life. All can be found with a simple internet search.
Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #3

solar prep

Thanks for the heads up.....Primary reason is to keep the batteries in good shape when we are away....We are a multiple RV couple.....we have a large truck camper that we explore with.....as it can reach area's that fivers never should go.....and we also have a 43' trawler(coastal boat) that we can spend weeks on traveling the West coast of Canada....up to Alaska... So there will be times when our Redwood "home" will be in storage.....and a large solar panel (150 watt) and a three stage controller can keep things in tip top shape battery bank wise...Our Redwood has a 2800 watt "Magnum" Inverter and a 4 battery, battery bank....I have 350 watts of panels on our boat and if its sunny I can go days with out generators or starting the main engine when we are anchored....Boondocking with the Redwood is not a important need....but keeping the house bank up is....Last time there was a big wind storm on Vancouver Island....local power was out for over a week..the Onan is installed if we are home and need AC...
I did see "Solar Prep" listed on the Full time option list in a 2018 Redwood brochure...hoping that at least the wiring was installed at the factory to accommodate....our unit is loaded...but is a 2015 so I am not sure....hoping that a member may have info on that....I am prepared to start from scratch....Wes
Old 02-04-2019, 03:56 AM   #4

Our 2015 38RL had no solar prep.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:16 AM   #5

solar prep

I am starting to see that having the solar wiring pre-done is less likely I did find a copy of the 2015 brochure....and I could find no mention of it........Starting from scratch is not a big deal.....but will take time to route wires....I see its a busy area for misc controls on the wall right beside the entrance closet / cabinet work....I will locate the controller there with everything else.....I believe that wall has a hollow area going down to the lower storage...once there is easy to reach the battery bank.....wiring from the panel itself on the roof...may have to follow the sat dish pre wire.....when things warm up I will investigate.....-30 here tonight on the Canadian prairies....Wes