Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
par

We would like some feedback on sofa beds since my wife and I are discussingits merits. Apparently a sofa without the bed is more comfortable than one with it. As a result of this we plan on purchasing a blow up mattress and getting a sofa without the built-inbed. Can any of you good folksprovide any guidance on this subject, thanks!
par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Site Team

I have a sofa bed in my RL and it's comfortable to sit on, however I do miss having the draw in the bottom to use. I haven't spent the night on it but I have laid on it with my grand kids and it seems comfortable enough. Remember if you make it too comfortable for quests......they become residents.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #3

We have a sofa bed and as Dave said no draw. But we still have more storage all around that we can't fill. The sofa is comfortable to sit on and the bed is great to sleep on. My daughter and two grand children love it. Plus we have two blow up large twin mattresses that we run down infront of the table. Kinda tight but works and everyone is together. Long term may be a problem but will cross that bridge when we get there.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #4

Our RW34SK did not come with the factory option blow-up mattress. It is true the couch is more comfortable without the mattress. The factory mattress does not even go on the couch, rather it sits on the floor.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #5

We have a sofa bed in our rl. It is stiffer than the recliners to sit on, but not at all uncomfortable. If you have back problems, you'll probably prefer to sit in it. Haven't slept on the bed yet, but like Dave said, guests become residents. We don't anticipate anyone other thanour grandkids sleeping ther and they could sleep on a rock! We overcame the lack of storage because no drawer by ordering an ottoman -- plenty of storage for bedding (sheets, blankets, pillows) for the sofabed, plus it's extra seating or a cocktail table (with a tray on it). A really useful addition!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #6

We have the sofa bed in our 38BR and it was comfortable enough for inlaws to visit 2 nights. Got an ottoman from Wal-Mart that matched the sofa and chairs and we keep all the bedding in it. We keep it in the office under the desk when traveling... found out it is just wide enough to curl up the edges of the carpets when the slides are closed.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #7

In general I find the older version Redwood furniture somewhat stiff and the sofa is not very deep. We have the queen air mattress in our sl. It works fine, but does not stay in place where it overlays the couch.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #8

Well Sofabed is the nice option instead of having sofa as well as bed it will be better to use both in one for more decor you can use different types of area rugs in it.

RomeroLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #9

We elected not to get the sofa sleeper. While we are waiting for our FB, it was our intention to get an independent air bed to put in front of the sofa. Just saw this one on line. Has any one had any experience with it? http://www.seatingsystem.com/endura/index.htm

Gary

csg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #10

We ordered one with our 36FL. I do not know if it is the same manufacturer but we have the same type air bed. Works great. We hide it behind the sofa in our living room. Sleeps real well as we tried it out for a night.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLJDM
We ordered one with our 36FL. I do not know if it is the same manufacturer but we have the same type air bed. Works great. We hide it behind the sofa in our living room. Sleeps real well as we tried it out for a night.
Are you saying that the inflatable bed now sits on top of the sofa? Is this the way Redwood is now selling their sofa bed? I'm a little confused since the one we sawhad a mattress that folded into the sofa.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #12

In the 36FL model there is insufficient room for a real sofa bed. Ours is just an inflatable mattress and fits into the existing sofa after you remove the cushions. It was an option for 2012, Redwood no longer offers this option for our model. I am looking into a sofa bed that will fit but have not been successful thusfar. The issue is the height of the sofa to the ceiling since our living room is up front.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Site Team

my sofa bed is a memory foam matress
Old 11-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #14

Mine is too. The Redwood sofa still feels comfortable -but I know that on some other models,opting for them as a sleep sofa makes them uncomfortable to sleep on and also uncomfortable to sit on.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
par

Quote:
In the 36FL model there is insufficient room for a real sofa bed. Ours is just an inflatable mattress and fits into the existing sofa after you remove the cushions. It was an option for 2012, Redwood no longer offers this option for our model. I am looking into a sofa bed that will fit but have not been successful thusfar. The issue is the height of the sofa to the ceiling since our living room is up front.
I authored this topic. I plan on purchasing a 36FL so if I understood properly then I don't even need to worry about this since I cannot get a sofa bed with a builtin mattress on the FL, right? According to your answer my only solution is to purchase an air matress and place it on the floor, correct?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #16

That is correct based on information we received during the factory tour we took at the Redwood Rally in August. I would recommend asking the question again as they may have come up with a solution other than the air mattress. If they offer a sofa bed, please let me know
Thanks, John
Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
par

Quote:
That is correct based on information we received during the factory tour we took at the Redwood Rally in August. I would recommend asking the question again as they may have come up with a solution other than the air mattress. If they offer a sofa bed, please let me know
Thanks, John
Thank you John and all of you who replied!!!
Paul
Old 11-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #18

The inflatable mattress for our 36FL is so wide you have crawl in from the foot of the bed. I wish they'd design a modified full size sofa bed instead of trying to fit a queen in the space available.
Currently we use aftermarket inflatable mattresses if we have guests.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #19

Steve after you crawl in make sure you do not roll out the steps are real bumpy especially when you are not really awake
Old 03-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #20

Is it possible to replace the queen mattress in the 38GK with a Tempurpedic?
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote