Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 04:10 AM   #1

Slideout water retention

We have a 2014 Redwood and are having an issue with water retaining on top of the p/s slide out when it's raining. When we bring the slide in, the water is not swiped off, thus water runs down the slide out walls and seeps into the carpet and onto the vinyl. Has anyone had this issue and if so, how was it fixed? We took the trailer back to the dealership and they, basically, told us they could not fix it. In fact, dealing with the dealership has been nothing short of the most horrible experience we've ever encountered. We were lied to and then what they said they repaired, they did not. Needless to say, we are very frustrated Redwood owners.
cathums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:53 AM   #2

I've only had to bring in the slides once while it was raining. We did get some water on the sides of the slide-out. I remember wiping down the front window on the one slide-out. You should get up on the roof of your unit and take a look at the top seal on the slide-out to see if the seal is installed to high. If it is installed high, you could lower it if there is room to do so. It could be a gnarly job because the track that holds the seal in place is screwed on and caulked in place.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #3

I have not had to put in our slides in the rain or even after a rain on our RW. We did have this on our previous 5er and I always lifted the front jacks to make sure all water had run off before putting in the sides. I learned this as a solution to getting rid of all the water. Even if your seal works great you will still get some water on the sides of the slides if the top is soaked when you put the slides in while raining.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #4

Great reason to purchase some slide toppers... They MAY hold some water depending on how heavy it rained , BUT as soon as you start to retract the slide , the water runs off the edge...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathums View Post
We have a 2014 Redwood and are having an issue with water retaining on top of the p/s slide out when it's raining. When we bring the slide in, the water is not swiped off, thus water runs down the slide out walls and seeps into the carpet and onto the vinyl. Has anyone had this issue and if so, how was it fixed? We took the trailer back to the dealership and they, basically, told us they could not fix it. In fact, dealing with the dealership has been nothing short of the most horrible experience we've ever encountered. We were lied to and then what they said they repaired, they did not. Needless to say, we are very frustrated Redwood owners.
On behalf of Redwood, I am so sorry to hear that your dealer experience has not been what it needed to be. If you would like, I would be happy to research a dealer in your area with a reputable service department! If there's ANYTHING that we can do to help, please don't hesitate to send me a private message. I'll be happy to get your information and help in any way I can!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #6

Cathums,

If I bring mine in while raining I too get water, but that's been the case on on my 5ers. That top sweep isn't necessarily a wiper, more like a flashing that lays out on your roof when extended. It flips and pulls back in as soon as you start to retract.

I'm not saying you should see severe puddling on your slide roof. If thats what you have then something else is wrong, but otherwise I would say what you are experiencing may be normal.

As Ford Truck Guy says, slide toppers might help with that, if you can tolerate the disadvantages of them.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:00 PM   #7

Even with toppers you can still have some water on top of the slide: Ask me how I know
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #8

Help us out by telling us what dealer so we won't go there !

But just like with your awnings,
give the slides some slant and let gravity do it

I used to retract the leveling jacks and then raise the front up very high while getting other things ready! By the time the truck, etc... was all ready, the slides were as dry as they could get...
(if "SWMBO" is inside, tell her BEFORE you start moving the rv though)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #9

sorry 'SWMBO' went right over my head.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #10

I agree with JB2... Raise the front jacks early and let all water run off... Living in Washington state we deal with a lot of water on the slide awnings. Todd built PVC supports to put under them while we are stationary, to keep them from stretching out. There is almost no rail-to-edge slant to ours, unfortunately, so the water simply pools on the awning. THEY ARE LARGE AWNINGS and I suspect that is a LOT of weight for them to support, it's like a POND up there if we don't put the supports in there!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote