Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2017, 12:15 AM   #1

Slide troubles

I have a 2016 38RL. recently while taking the trailer to a dealer for warranty work (again) while putting the slides in, the kitchen slide hung up at the top rear. This is not a new thing, but the dealer has not been able to replicate it when they have the trailer. As is the normal (for us) procedure we put the slide back out and started it back in again. We heard a loud pop from under the slide floor just as the front of the slide was in. When I went out to disconnect water, sewer and such, I found that the front of the slide was in properly but the rear was out about a foot. Checking under the slide I discovered at least one tooth broke of the shaft running from front to rear (I assume that this is an equalizer, to keep the slide even) Question is, has anyone else had a similar situation? I don't like driving down the highway with the slide partially out. The dealer was only a short drive so that's what I did in this case. The dealer I have been using for warranty work is not equipped to repair the issue, though they did get it to work until I get to a dealer that is able to do repairs. This is not our first problem, and I'm getting a little frustrated. Warranty runs out in April.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:04 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Broke teeth off both spur gears last week. Replaced gear packs but slide would not retract fully. Left RW at a dealer in central CA for rebuild of the kitchen slide which ended up jammed and cocked. Front end of slide was three inches out while rear end was tight against body wall. Dealer can’t get to repair until mid January so left and drove home to WA. Not a happy experience when the slide is stuck half way out.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
Broke teeth off both spur gears last week. Replaced gear packs but slide would not retract fully. Left RW at a dealer in central CA for rebuild of the kitchen slide which ended up jammed and cocked. Front end of slide was three inches out while rear end was tight against body wall. Dealer can’t get to repair until mid January so left and drove home to WA. Not a happy experience when the slide is stuck half way out.
Sounds like our experience is similar, we are fulltimers so leaving the trailer is not an option. On a brighter note, we went to the dealer recommended and they were able to do what looks like a quality repair.. still have to take it back for some seal replacement, but I think we are good til spring. we leave for points south right after Christmas. We too, live in Washington on the cold
side.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Be sure there are no broken teeth jammed in the rack gear. We had two broken teeth that were stuck in the rack and further jammed the slide. Where are you? We are in Anacortes.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
Be sure there are no broken teeth jammed in the rack gear. We had two broken teeth that were stuck in the rack and further jammed the slide. Where are you? We are in Anacortes.

The slide seems to work well now, if there were any teeth in the wrong place I'm sure we would have heard it.
We are in Cle Elum, Son in law grew up in Anacortes.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:13 AM   #6

I have a 2014 31SL and have had problems with the same slide creeping out on me while driving. Freedom RV in Tucson replaced a solenoid on the hydraulic system but I still had a problem on one of 3 days while driving from Tucson to Georgetown TX.
Will have to take it back to the shop again but this is getting expensive. I've spent about $1,000 so far on it. The dealers don't seem to have a clue.
RV Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote