Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 12:17 AM   #1

Slide-Out Awning Toppers

What are everyone's thoughts on slide-out awning toppers? Are these must-have items or not? If so, should the be ordered with the fiver, or is it cheaper to add them yourself after delivery?
shrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrode View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on slide-out awning toppers? Are these must-have items or not? If so, should the be ordered with the fiver, or is it cheaper to add them yourself after delivery?
t seems to be a Love/Hate relationship with toppers........ you either love them or hate them. Some say it protect the slideout roofs and they are worth it, others say when it is windy they are very annoying and can get damaged. I personally have never had them and never will because of the wind factor. I've seen too many torn up and flapping but I'm sure you will hear from people who love them.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:29 AM   #3

Hadn't thought about the wind. I can see how an awning flapping all night long could be annoying.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:50 AM   #4

We have had toppers on all our trailers and never had an issue... The ones on our RW are very annoying in the wind... I have a warranty appointment for 2 small items in September and just added tightening of those toppers to the list.

1- second awning LED's not working... They do light up when I jump them from a jumper..
2-cabinet doors over the dishwasher never close properly.. I tried to fix, buy am worthless with wood, unless I am burning it !
And now
#3 - tighten slide toppers

Not a bad list after 14 months.....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:51 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I have had them on all my rigs except this one. I have not had a problem with them in high winds. I am in the process of installing them on this one as they do help to keep the slides cooler in the heat here in socal
Old 08-14-2016, 02:11 AM   #6

If you camp in the Fall in areas with lots of falling leaves, toppers are almost a must have. Our early '12 36RL didn't offer the topper on the main living room slide, which required me to go up on the roof with a broom to sweep leaves, pine needles, and small twigs off that slide before retracting.
About the only time we're had wind problems was when we were getting hit with 40 to 50 MPH gusts.
We wouldn't be without them, and the Factory install generally looks much neater than some Dealer's install.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
If you camp in the Fall in areas with lots of falling leaves, toppers are almost a must have. Our early '12 36RL didn't offer the topper on the main living room slide, which required me to go up on the roof with a broom to sweep leaves, pine needles, and small twigs off that slide before retracting.
About the only time we're had wind problems was when we were getting hit with 40 to 50 MPH gusts.
We wouldn't be without them, and the Factory install generally looks much neater than some Dealer's install.
The one MAJOR advantage I can see with the toppers is "not having to climb up on the roof to blow or sweep off the slides prior to retracting them". The older I get, the less I like climbing up on the roof!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
We have had toppers on all our trailers and never had an issue... The ones on our RW are very annoying in the wind... I have a warranty appointment for 2 small items in September and just added tightening of those toppers to the list.

1- second awning LED's not working... They do light up when I jump them from a jumper..
2-cabinet doors over the dishwasher never close properly.. I tried to fix, buy am worthless with wood, unless I am burning it !
And now
#3 - tighten slide toppers

Not a bad list after 14 months.....
If you are able to get the topper tightened please post how it is done. I was told that there is no way to tighten toppers. Say once they stretch that is it.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #9
Site Team

As in all things in life......there are gives and takes. I used to say that I was completely against them for several good reasons. But......I was forced to have them and now I haven't had any problems and they are easy to deal with.

I still believe that they are a maintenance item but so is everything else involving RVs so why not just throw them into the mix. I will say that they help significantly is helping keep water out of the rig when retracting the slides in the rain. In the snow however, they're less than desirable
Old 08-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #10

They are really easy to adjust I have done mine. It takes a little time to do them it is always better with two people but I have done then my self
Old 08-14-2016, 05:31 PM   #11

If you will be mainly in areas with lots of wind, "hell no", they will drive you nuts & be torn up in a couple years, ask how I know. If just occasional winds with lots of trees they are fantastic & seem to keep the slides cooler & personally I like the looks with them. This has been our experience, so as others have said it's a personal choice. I would also like to know the procedure to tighten them up a bit, I also lost the dining slide material (wind started a tear & Sun deteriorated the threads) & will order replacement once we arrive at our winter location.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired educators View Post
If you are able to get the topper tightened please post how it is done. I was told that there is no way to tighten toppers. Say once they stretch that is it.
Will do . . I find it hard to believe that my 14 month Careferee covers are stretched already! Will see what the dealer says. .. .
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
As in all things in life......there are gives and takes. I used to say that I was completely against them for several good reasons. But......I was forced to have them and now I haven't had any problems and they are easy to deal with.

I still believe that they are a maintenance item but so is everything else involving RVs so why not just throw them into the mix. I will say that they help significantly is helping keep water out of the rig when retracting the slides in the rain. In the snow however, they're less than desirable
X2

I would not have ordered them, but inherited them now. So far no real complaints, other than I already have 1 that needs ajusted or else it is stretched.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #14

So, it sounds like as in everything RV, there are pros and cons to slide-out awning toppers. Does anyone know what brand and style Redwood installs in the option package?
Old 08-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrode View Post
So, it sounds like as in everything RV, there are pros and cons to slide-out awning toppers. Does anyone know what brand and style Redwood installs in the option package?
Mine are made by Carefree
Old 08-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #16

RW appears to use the better grade of CareFree Toppers than the Dealer put on our Friends RW, as ours look much nicer to me than theirs.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:38 AM   #17

We've had them on several 5th wheels. I now either order from the factory or if buying off the lot, have the dealer install. Never had any problems and they keep the slides cleaner and dryer.

Fred