Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 08:23 PM   #1

Slide Lock when closed

When coming home last night and traversing through a gutter, my curbside slide (hydraulic) came out about 6" on the bottom. I leveled up and ran the slide out and then back in. All now seems normal but I am concerned about why it came out in the first place. I am also concerned that it may do it again.

What locks the gear and rail system so that it stays in place while traveling?
Old 04-30-2018, 11:59 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
The main slides depend on the hydraulics to stay closed. You may have air in your system or are low on fluid. Check your hydraulic reservoir. To eliminate air run the slides and jacks in and out several times. There are no locks, as such.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:05 AM   #3

This can also be caused by a bad O ring or a bad cartridge valve for the hydraulics. Correct that the room should stay in the retracted position. If hydraulic pressure is compromised the room can travel like it did.

Chris
2012 36RL
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:56 AM   #4

Before checking/adding fluid retract ALL slides/jacks or you'll overfill the reservoir creating a huge mess. Once fluid level is correct (within 1/4- 1/2" below fill opening) operate slides/jacks a few cycles to work the air out.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #5

[QUOTE=travelin' texans;79414]Before checking/adding fluid retract ALL slides/jacks or you'll overfill the reservoir creating a huge mess. Once fluid level is correct (within 1/4- 1/2" below fill opening) operate slides/jacks a few cycles to work the air out.[/QUOTE

I assume that you would need to have the fronts retracted by being hitched to the truck.

I always check the fluid but not when hooked up and it is always near the top. If it is air in the system, I would doubt it would be caused from low fluid in the reservoir. Good advice when filling however.

Hopefully not a valve issue.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #6

[QUOTE=xtasee;79415]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Before checking/adding fluid retract ALL slides/jacks or you'll overfill the reservoir creating a huge mess. Once fluid level is correct (within 1/4- 1/2" below fill opening) operate slides/jacks a few cycles to work the air out.[/QUOTE

I assume that you would need to have the fronts retracted by being hitched to the truck.

I always check the fluid but not when hooked up and it is always near the top. If it is air in the system, I would doubt it would be caused from low fluid in the reservoir. Good advice when filling however.

Hopefully not a valve issue.
Yes ALL jacks up/slides in hooked to your truck to check fluid.
Also whether on the hydraulic slides or electric (bedroom) continue holding the button for 3-5 seconds after the slide is all the way in or out, this helps sync the electric slide motors & builds a bit of pressure on the hydraulics.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #7

Ok new but related issue. The living room slide comes out when retracting the Jacks. I am sure there is something wrong with the hydraulic system now.

I thought I read this same issue on one the these threads but could not find one that mentioned the fix. I really do not want to have my unit sitting at the dealer for two months so if this happened to you, how did you fix it?