Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #1

This morning got a rude awakening, roadside livingroom slide cover floping in 12 mile breeze. Snaping, making loud snaps loud enough to wake me at 4:18. Just about got out of bed and in rain go on roof and cut the damn thing! Anyone else had any problems like that and if did, what did you do?
John8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #2

We were here on the Atlantic coast of Florida when Sandy went North, she wasn't too close but still had some pretty good winds and we never heard a single flap or snap from the slide toppers. It almost sounds like the tension is too loose allowing the topper to flap in the breeze.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #3

Thanks for info, we are trying to get a tech guy to tighten up covers. Will post if works. Happy travels!
John8545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #4

Mine flap all the time in winds over 10 mph. It too drives me nuts! Almost to the point where I am starting to wish I had not ordered the slide awnings and instead ordered the 2nd patio awning instead. This is my first coach with slide awnings and honestly I am not sure I would order them again. I asked my dealer to check them, the stated there was no adjustments for them and that there is nothing really that can be done. I would be most curious to find out if there are adjustments on the awnings that can be tightened as I would drive across the country to find a dealership that could make the flapping stop or at least cut the amount of flapping by 60%.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #5

I opted not to order them due to this reason, I suggest getting a blow up childs beach ball and putting it between the slide and the cover, this will put enough pressure on the cover to stop the noise and also keep the rainwater flowing. just a thought.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #6

Hoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #7

We have used the large pool noodles tiewrap together 2 on the bottom and 1 one top between the 2. This forms a triangle work quite well.

Hoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amishco
I opted not to order them due to this reason, I suggest getting a blow up childs beach ball and putting it between the slide and the cover, this will put enough pressure on the cover to stop the noise and also keep the rainwater flowing. just a thought.

I have seen this suggestion on other furums also as a cure for slide topper slap. I am considering this type of cure also because the slide toppers do tend to collect water and leafs which then have to be swept off before closing the slides.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoistman
We have used the large pool noodles tiewrap together 2 on the bottom and 1 one top between the 2. This forms a triangle work quite well.

sound like to me they're more trouble than they're worth and that's why I didn't order them. Just one more maintenance item, but they do look nice
Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #10

Agree with Michelle...

Mine make a little noise when it gets windy outside, but if it's breezy, we don't even know they're on there. When you're camping in woodsy areas, you always seem to get falling debris like twigs, pine needles, acorns on top of your exended slides.

When I was younger, I would climb up on the roofand broom off the slide tops before we retracted them. But now, I like the way the slide toppers aredesigned to shed the debris as they retract.

The other night it rained, and when I retracted my slides, there was a fairly big sheet of ice which was shed off and fell to the ground. That was scary... but not as scary as the prospect of having that big sheet of ice melting inside inside my Redwood once the slides were pulled in.

Also like the fact that they look nice.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #11

I've had two 5'ers with slide toppers. On the Redwood I chose not to get them. Slide toppers make too much noise. Also, after they have held rain a couple of times, they strech and will always puddle. If you check the owners manual for the slide toppers (my last ones were Corado Care Free) you shoulsd run your slides in to dump thew rain water.

Just my $0.02 worth, YMMV
FranknRascal is offline   Reply With Quote