Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

We are planning to change to a sleep number mattress and know others of you have done this, but can't find previous notes on this subject. Any help would be appreciated. We Redwood's queen mattress and frame currently. What changes should we make to frame, etc.

Thanx with your comments.

Chris
maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #2

I put one in my hr and removed it when i got my rw. i haven't installed it as of yet but it looks like all i have to do is remove the box spring and mattress. i'm still on the fence what rw supplyed is perrty nice
Old 03-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #3

We presently have our Sleep Number on top of that fancy European Box spring setup, but I think when we get home in late spring I'll remove that fancy setupand install 5/8 Luan for the Sleep Number to sit on.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #4

We have a sleep number king size in our 36RL and it works fine. They took the european frame out and the sleep number sits on the plywood of the bed and hasn't given me a problem. I did have the washer drain line come loose under the bed and I intend to replace the plywood and make it just a tad larger. Personal pref.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #5

we replaced the pillow top mattress with a 10 inch memory foam and like fathog99, removed the euro frame. We replaced thepanelingwood on the box frame with thicker plywood for better support of the mattress. The 36FL mattress pushes under the dresser wall and the 10 inch without the euroframe fits perfectly as long as you throw back the covers at the foot of the bed.
marandjwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Site Team

I changed over to a sleep number bed about a month after I bought my RL. We bought a new one for the house and put the old one in the Redwood. To do this I decided not to remove the frame of the original bed so it's easier to convert back in case I trade my trailer off unexpectedly.

I used 7/16 osb (or plywood) for the base under the mattress and on top of the "European" bed frame. First I used my table saw and ripped a 1.5 inch of pieces of osb to use as a spacer in the middle if the frame, then I cut 2 pieces of osb to cover each side of the bed meeting on top of the spacer I made (without the spacer there would be a gap). I used self tapping screws about 1 1/4 long to go into the original bed frame. Then I drilled a hole near the head board to run airlines to the pump which I put under the bed. I also drilled a hole on the closet side of the bed base so I could run the electrical cord to the plug.

This all works perfectly
Old 03-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #7

Dave, I wish I had thought of that before they took the Eoro frame out.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #8

Thank you to everyone who responded!!!

Chris
maggie is offline   Reply With Quote