Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #1

We are living full time in our 36FL and work wherever the work is... we have had a few RV's over the years and had skirting made for each in the past... we will likely be working in Northeast PA for the winter and skirting goes a long way for comfort and propane consumption. I don't want to have holes drilled in my pretty and expensive "home" but I don't want to freeze either... what do you all think about turn snaps being screwed to the RV.
marandjwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Site Team

You have to customize your trailer to fit your needs. The lower skirt is mostly aluminum on the slides.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #3

If you use turn snaps, you are still going to have to drill holes to fasten them to the RV. There are many different options, but some of them are better than others. I have seen some that use hay bales to enclose around their RV. Might do the job, but looks real tacky. Another possibility would be get some 4X8 sheets of wood and fasten batt insulation to one side. Cut to fit and use metal stakes or re rod to hold them in place. The outside could be painted or decorated. I don't know what the cost comparison is, but regular trailer skirting may be an option too. There are other options also, it kind of goes with the saying necessity is the mother of invention.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #4

I showed this last year.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #5

Buddy, Curt Miller had made our three previous skirts and he is home based in our home area.

marandjwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marandjwr
Buddy, Curt Miller had made our three previous skirts and he is home based in our home area.Â*

Â* Â*
Good deal, they look nice. Had a place for the toys under the front even.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #7

I am not sure of how much the skirting helps on propane consumption.I have heard all sorts of varied numbers.

We decided to use a 100 gallon tank that a local supplier dropped off and keeps filled instead. We spent a pretty cold winter here in Utah and there were a couple of times that we went through 80 gallons in 16 or 17 days. For us that was better than the expensive custom skirt and the many holes drilled into the beltline to attach the skirt. Also the propane delivered is anywhere from 80 cents to one dollar cheaper per gallon. Not all states or parks allow these tanks to be used though.

There is an identical 36RE to ours in the same park with the custom skirt and without the skirt attached all of the chrome twist latches really stick out through the pretty full body paint.

Hope this helps.
Glminsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glminsp
I am not sure of how much the skirting helps on propane consumption.I have heard all sorts of varied numbers.

We decided to use a 100 gallon tank that a local supplier dropped off and keeps filled instead. We spent a pretty cold winter here in Utah and there were a couple of times that we went through 80 gallons in 16 or 17 days. For us that was better than the expensive custom skirt and the many holes drilled into the beltline to attach the skirt. Also the propane delivered is anywhere from 80 cents to one dollar cheaper per gallon. Not all states or parks allow these tanks to be used though.

There is an identical 36RE to ours in the same park with the custom skirt and without the skirt attached all of the chrome twist latches really stick out through the pretty full body paint.

Hope this helps.
Good information
Old 08-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #9

I would sure think it would help with propane.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #10

saw hay bales mentioned-good insulation but REALLY BAD IDEA . Having spent 16 years as a volunteer fire fighter got to see 2 units burned to the ground that had hay bales for skirting and really hampered trying to save anything, and their insurance said too bad so sad we're not paying on this.