Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #1

sewer blockage

I am having a backup problem after 7 or 8 flushes. I am using recommended paper and using double treatment .It takes a snake or plunger to clear ,then it starts over again. Draining tank does not help, only get out 5 gallons approximately .Dealer can not find anything wrong, just before it backs up it will start to spit back water after each flush. Any help would be appreciated. Richard
Old Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #2

Sounds like a "poop pyramid" built up in the tank. Leave the black valve open & run a hose down through the toilet while running the black tank flush at the same time & rinse rinse rinse til you are sure the blockage is gone. NEVER leave the black valve open continuously, fill, drain, rinse & always use plenty of water flushing.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #3

The spit back at flush means there is no place for the air in the pipe below the bowl to go except back up through the toilet. That usually means the tank is full to the point the tank vent is blocked.

Are you getting a full flow of 5 gallons, or trickle? I suspect you tank is plugged at the drain and only a little is leaking past which is the 5 gal you are getting. You may have to backflush with one of those hose fittings on the cap.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #4

I agree with Brad. I had a similar problem and thought my valve was inoperable. Pulled the pan and all was well with the valve. I went and bought one of those clear elbows with the hose attachment and cleared the blockage. Attach the clear elbow with the built-in valve closed. Open waste valve on RV. Turn water on to the clear elbow and give it short periods of water and then shut off water and open valve on clear elbow. You should start to see some evidence of waste. Repeat this process several times until you see more volume on the waste through the elbow. Please do not think you have it empty and then leave the water supply on or you will blow the waste piping from your waste tank. Do not ask me how I know Below is a pic of teh elbow in action. Picture is sideways and I have the old sewer boom that came with the early 2012 models.

http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...picture969.jpg
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #5

I also agree with Danny as I was not using enough water with my flushes!
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:57 AM   #6

I had the same problem. I used the water hose in the toilet to flush the pipe and the tank. but it still blew back. so I put the water hose down the vent on the roof and that did not work so I waited until the pipe backed up not sure why it did it because the tank was empty. When the pipe backed up I ran the toilet flush valve until the water was just a few inches below the gasket in the toilet and then I used a plunger and this has cured the problem. YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE VALVE OPEN IN THE WET BAY BEFORE YOU USE THE PLUNGER. Fill the bowl up a few times to make sure it did the job then flush the tank. hope this will help you.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:01 AM   #7

Harbour Freight has an inspection camera on sale for 59$. It won't fix the problem but you will be able to see into the tank.
Digital Inspection Camera
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote