Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Traveling

Service Bulletins instead of "Recalls"

I may be displaying my inner stupid here but...

As we all know, to maintain our warranty, we must have annual inspections. Is this being used by RW (as it should) to perform work under the umbrella of "Service bulletins" like they do in autos? For example, the extremely under-weight screws used to secure some awnings to the coach... The cost when the screws fail is very high for RW. The cost to have a service tech push in a few lag bolts while it is there on a warranty inspection is very low... DO they do such a thing? IF SO: Can anyone share any that they have experienced?

I can see why this would be MUCH preferable to a full-blown "recall" and the negative publicity and COST those entail. Perhaps THIS is the reason for the required inspections?

I would very much like to know about these things before something breaks off, blows up, comes apart or burns. I know these things happen, and it is my assumption that RW is taking care of them in some capacity.

Any service bulletins out there???
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #2

I really wish they would incorporate that concept! So nice to drop the truck off and have 2 or 3 nonrelated fixes performed via service bulletins.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Traveling

It just seems like I remember hearing they did do this... Didn't some share that they got their microwaves replaced while they were in for service and didn't know there was a recall on them? Perhaps I am wrong. Certainly seems like a good idea. I know there are problems happening that they are aware of, things that it's not a question of IF but WHEN it goes bad (like our awning problem).
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #4

The microwaves were a true recall, along with the cover over the awning switches, but that is it as far as I know. There should be tech bulletins on things like your awning, U-bolts on the axle, etc
Old 08-07-2014, 04:10 AM   #5

I am taking my 38FL into the RW service center in Topeka tomorrow morning for some warrantee work. I already asked them to fix the awning issue based on what I learned here.

Also asking them to look at other items such as the fresh water syphon issue which everyone seems to have. Will see how things go.

Kind of a do-it-yourself type of "Service bulletins".

Btw, we are currently parked outside their new service center in Topeka. This is a very nice facility able to handle I'd guess at least 20 coaches at a time. They have put up 3 camping sites, power + water and have a dump station so you can pull in the night before, stay overnight and be ready for service the next morning. Working great for us tonight and when they are done tomorrow we'll head to Shipshewana.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #6

Let us know what they say on the siphon issue - just curious.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #7

Ken,
I'd be curious too on the siphon issue. I called Crossroads and they told me that was designed that way for a reason and not to put a valve on.

I figured since our rigs don't have a 'closed fill system', the tank, when full will just spit out the fill hose. The only other issue I can think of is that a vacuum could be created when pumping from the fresh water tank, but leaving the fill open solves that issue.

Sure makes no sense to me!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaltman View Post
I am taking my 38FL into the RW service center in Topeka tomorrow morning for some warrantee work. I already asked them to fix the awning issue based on what I learned here.

Also asking them to look at other items such as the fresh water syphon issue which everyone seems to have. Will see how things go.

Kind of a do-it-yourself type of "Service bulletins".

Btw, we are currently parked outside their new service center in Topeka. This is a very nice facility able to handle I'd guess at least 20 coaches at a time. They have put up 3 camping sites, power + water and have a dump station so you can pull in the night before, stay overnight and be ready for service the next morning. Working great for us tonight and when they are done tomorrow we'll head to Shipshewana.
Please be sure to post what the factory service center says and does about the awning mounting issue. I have added that to my list to be done when I take our coach in to the service center in late September.

Glad to hear they have the new service center ready.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:19 AM   #9

Must be nice to be close enough to the service center to be able to take you RWs there for the professional / factory repairs.

I guess we have not had anything serious enough to justify a trip to Indiana to get fixed or repaired.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:31 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
Must be nice to be close enough to the service center to be able to take you RWs there for the professional / factory repairs.

I guess we have not had anything serious enough to justify a trip to Indiana to get fixed or repaired.
It has been great to be able to use the factory service center. My dealer is 2 1/2 hours away and the one time I took our 36RL back to the dealer, it took 5 weeks to get it back for what should have been a minor recall that should have taken 2 or 3 days.

So, on the first anniversary inspection, I went to the original Redwood Factory Service Center at Syracuse, Indiana factory location. After that facility was closed, I have gone to the Crossroads Factory Service Center at Topeka, Indiana. Topeka is only about an hour drive from my home base.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote