Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
csb

Security for out side storage compartments.

We have a 2014 36RL. The other night some punk broke into our outside security compartments while it was parked in our driveway. The compartments were locked up tight. Evidently he popped them open with no problem. There is no damage to the doors or locks. In fact the locks were still locked and the doors left ajar. Thankfully most of the stuff we had taken into the garage when we winterized and covered it. But the thief got some of my husbands fishing poles, reels and a huge full tackle box, our flag poles etc.

Has anyone else had a problem like this and is there a fix for the doors or locks on these compartments????

Thank you
csb
Old 12-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
These locks only keep honest thieves out. As the doors are fibreglass and aluminum. A screw driver or wrecking bar would still get them in even with a better lock.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:57 PM   #3

So sorry about that. My buddies was broken into on a Dealer lot and he was most upset and astonished that they took all of his socks! He understood tools, gear, but the socks seem to make him feel pretty invaded.

Probably not a good fix. They are very easy to get into and by trying to make it more secure could result in damage to the cabinet doors. If it were me, I'd worry more about the cost and time lag for repair of cabinet doors than loss of gear.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:24 PM   #4

The first thing that I did after purchasing my 2016 39MB was to remove the keyed locks, replacing them with plain thumb latches. Don't have to fiddle with a key to open storage doors & since I don't keep anything really expensive in there anyway (beach chairs, umbrella, patio rug(s), etc.) I'd rather have them help themselves to this stuff if they want it that bad than break & damage my doors trying to gain access. As the others said, the best & toughest lock in the world won't keep anyone out with heavy tools.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:23 AM   #5
Site Team

Sorry to hear that you had this problem but thankfully they didn't cause any damage. I think the most dangerous places most RVs go are the truck stops and rest areas. I always figured that anything I have can be stolen and that's why I have insurance. But I'll always protect myself and my family and it could be a deathly mistake for someone to not understand that.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #6

Correct about keeping honest people out
I recall someone at our storage area saying he never locked his just for that reason... so he wouldn't have to repalce doors, cabinets, and such !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote