Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #1

On our 36FL the two front slides are the electric Schwintek slides. When the slide is all the way in, the top of the slide room is noticeably retracted closer to the rv than the bottom. Our dealer said there was really no fix for this. Anyone else have same type issue or know of any resolution?

Thanks,

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #2

check previous posts about other issues with these slides. Others have had luck resetting the travel of the slides. We have an RL and the bottom of the front slide sticks out about 1" on the corner to the front. No matter what I do, I can't get it any closer. Same problem with the rear slide next to the door.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Neal] On our 36FL the two front slides are the electric Schwintek slides. When the slide is all the way in, the top of the slide room is noticeably retracted closer to the rv than the bottom. Our dealer said there was really no fix for this. Anyone else have same type issue or know of any resolution?

Thanks,

Neal[/QUOTE

Similar problems. lippert told me, if redwood does not install the system correctly you will have this type of problems, because there is no ajustments. only pressure stop ajustments for going in and out. the slide needs to come out and the system has to be reinstalled correctly.
Our slide in a slide drags on the inside wall trying to get it out.
LillyputzEdited by: lillyputz
Old 05-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Try spraying down the track with silicone and run it in and out a few times. This will correct the problem.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #5

I bought that CRC dry lube with teflon someone recommended on another thread as a Redwood recommendation. Mine was not consistent in where it stopped going in. It seems to be fine now.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #6

Neal,<div id="LCS_C4CFC0DE_134F_4466_B2A2_FF7C59A8BFAD_commu nicati&#111;nDiv"><div name="popUpDiv" id="popUpDiv" ismouseover="false" ="popUpDivOff" =":.Name='popUpDivOff';" =":.Name='popUpDiv&#079;n';" style="display: n&#111;ne;">
<div name="searchDiv" id="searchDiv" style="display:n&#111;ne">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/searchBox.png[/img]

<div name="popupMenu" id="popupMenu" style="display:n&#111;ne" ="popupMenu">
<div id="div1">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/fb.png[/img]

<div id="div2">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/twitter.png[/img]

<div id="div3">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/gmail.png[/img]

<div id="div4">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/PBQuickShare.png[/img]

<div name="popupMenuVideo" id="popupMenuVideo" style="display:n&#111;ne" ="popupMenuVideo">
<div id="div1">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/fb.png[/img]

<div id="div2">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/twitter.png[/img]

<div id="div3">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/gmail.png[/img]

<div id="div4">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/PBQuickShare.png[/img]

Dave from "Dave &amp; Ginny" has a good idea with the silicone lube that has proven very reliable for him in his situation.

So please, give the silicone lube a try.

If the silicone lube doesn't work. First, fire the tech and dealership and move on to a dealer that is versed in the Schwintek slide system. I had a similar issue with a tech in Elkhart, Indiana. Obviously, the tech couldn't see any visible adjustments and in his infinite wisdom decided that the slide was not adjustable.

Schwintek has a video on how to detach the shaft from the drive motors on each side of the slide (within the wall). You have two rails on each side of your slide that are driven by a motor
(per side of the slide) with a gear for each rail on a shaft. The two motors driving the shaft work in unison when operating the slide.

The video will show how the tech is to detach the shaft from the motor and slide the shaft up one inch to slide the gears up from the rails. The tech will move the slide in manually to achieve "plumb" with the side wall of the trailer wall. He will then lower the shafts back down onto the motors and reattach.

The slide will now operate and the seals will meet the trailer wall "plumb".

If you plan on staying with your dealer then have a discussion with a manager or owner of the dealership and tell them to train their techs in a proper manner.

Dave from Maine

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #7

X2

I saw that video set as well. If you have the newer version, the motors pop out easily from the inside without removing any trim. If not, they come out from the outside by removing the trim on the wall. I don't know how to tell the difference, other than our tech showed us how to take them out from the inside.Edited by: atom ant
Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #8

OK, I just received my coach and I noticed the slide have about a 1.5 inch gap from the wall when closed. But the gap is consistent all the way around. Should they be closing tighter than the 1.5 inch gap?

Rick
Old 05-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #9

As long as the seals compress, you should be fine. The Schwintek stick out a little further than the standard.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #10

Rick,<div id="LCS_C4CFC0DE_134F_4466_B2A2_FF7C59A8BFAD_commu nicati&#111;nDiv"><div name="popUpDiv" id="popUpDiv" ismouseover="false" ="popUpDivOff" =":.Name='popUpDivOff';" =":.Name='popUpDiv&#079;n';" style="display: n&#111;ne;">
<div name="searchDiv" id="searchDiv" style="display:n&#111;ne">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/searchBox.png[/img]

<div name="popupMenu" id="popupMenu" style="display:n&#111;ne" ="popupMenu">
<div id="div1">

<div id="div2">

<div id="div3">

<div id="div4">

<div name="popupMenuVideo" id="popupMenuVideo" style="display:n&#111;ne" ="popupMenuVideo">
<div id="div1">

<div id="div2">

<div id="div3">

<div id="div4">

Atom Ant in one respect is correct. By no means should the slide end up one and a half inches out from the wall. The seal from the slide should be squeezed up against the wall. I've had this problem with my slide, also.

Try the lube thing that Dave &amp; Atom Ant has recommended. Also, you will have to move your slide back out about 6" or so, then pull it back in. You may have to do this a couple of times. Hopefully you will achieve success.

Dave from Maine
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #11

Before anyone goes pulling the motors read the manual carefully after you download it from the Lippert site. If you have the latest controller, I think you can program it into a manual mode that will let you move just one motor to correct an out of plumb condition. We just ran into a problem where ours wouldn't go in or out, so I got it into manual mode so we could bring it in and move. Ended up finding a pin that wasn't seated for the hall motor sensor.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #12

My slide gotwould notclose and I needed to move. Called Redwood and they authorized on site repair by mobile repairman and he found the controller bad. Redwood overnighted it to me, new controller installed and it works fine. You can move one side of the slide at a time by unplugging at the controller if it gets stuck crooked. Explorer in Mesquite had changed the 30amp fuse out to a 50 amp fuse and Redwood was not happy about that so I changed it back.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #13

Can't say enough good things about RW customer service. Ron and Leonard talked my service tech and my self through the troubleshooting procedures and over knighted the part to us. Kudos to RW customer service.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #14

We have the schwintek system on a LONG super slide on our current 5er. It does the double sinked bathroom, and HEAVY foam mattress(ed) king bed all at once without any isssues (now).

When we first got it, it would kink every once in a while, even to the point of us having to drive home with one end out 3 inches !

Our dealer found that the (now closed) mfg had miscut the opening by 3/8th of an inch and the slide would drag and bind. Once corrected that system has been perfect ever since.Edited by: johnboytoo
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #15

From what I understand, the early systems had their problems, but as with anything it takes a while to get all the bugs worked out. I think the system has been tweaked to the point that it's now pretty reliable. Both the motors and controller have been upgraded/changed several times since the early models. We have friends with a new Winnebago with three slides and all use this system. And unless you have a major motor failure, you can over come most problems by putting it into manual mode.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:02 AM   #16

Dave,

I could really use this video but I could not find it. Can you help me?
patgoulet is offline   Reply With Quote