Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #1

I was thinking of going with a dis tailgater because I like the month to month start and stop option. today the Dealer informed me that the only SAT connection on the Redwood is on the roof. Is that possible? Do any other Redwood owners have the tailgater? Are you going up to the roof everytime you stop to make the connection? Are there any other options for affordable satellite tv?

Thanks

Rick
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I was thinking of going with a dis tailgater because I like the month to month start and stop option. today the Dealer informed me that the only SAT connection on the Redwood is on the roof. Is that possible? Do any other Redwood owners have the tailgater? Are you going up to the roof everytime you stop to make the connection? Are there any other options for affordable satellite tv?

Thanks

Rick
Although I don't have a dish yet.....I believe there's a connection on the door side in the basement. I was told by a dealer and someone else that they had some problems with the tailgater. I believe if you go with the "Dish" any of their programs can be month to month. I think "Direct TV" also offers a special plan if you already have their program in your house.

Good Luck
Old 02-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
Site Team

On my 34SK there are Sat connections in the utility center. I use my Winegard Carryout with no problems. There are connections on the roof also. I use the Dish provider.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #4

We had our dealer install a wingard slimline satellite and we have 4 drops which allow 4 tvs to operate at once on different stations (living room, kitchen, bedroom and storage). We have directv at home and all we do is take our boxes with us. You cannot receive "local" tv while traveling but if you want that option, use the antenna and switch off of satellite to tv, turn on the booster, and you have local channels. We do not pay anything extra as we are using boxes from the house. We traveled all over the country this summer and the wingard slimline provided great service and is a "push button" operation, as it searches for signal and locks in automatically.Hope this helps
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #5

Similar solution for us. At home we are switching from cable to satellite with Shaw Direct. When travelling we simply take the boxes with us, leaving 1 for thedaughter & son-in-lawthat look after the house while we are away. We do not pay any extra, other than capital cost for the number of boxes we need.

We will purchase an automatic rooftop dish this year - either the Winegard or RF Mogul

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #6

We have members in our local Tucson's Sunny Sams club that have Direct TV. They have purchased a box through Amazon, pay an extra $6 per month and have satellite service on the road. They do recommend a "portable" receiver dish due to line of sight problems in some camp sites.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #7

For those of you with portable dishes, where are you connecting them? On the roof?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #8

John (COLJDM) has the right idea if you want effortless satellite service on the road. Press one button and the Winegard Slimline HD dish finds all the satellites and you are ready. We only havethestandardRG-6 roof cable location, so I installed the SWM-8 kit -which allows up to 8 receivers using the one cable and a splitter. Works great.

Because we aren't fulltime, I purchased another DTVHR24 HD/DVR and aH25 receiver for the bedroom. That way, I don't have to disturb the cables everytime we go away for a week or just the weekend.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
Site Team

On ourWinegard Carryout, I hook it to the Sat connection in the utility center. On our coach there are two Sat connections in the utility center. I bought a nifty tool that helps track which cable in the entertainment center goes to which connector in the utility center. It could also be used to track connections from theroof. I'll try to find a link to it you are interested. Ialso installed a 12 voltrecepticle in the utility center because the Carryout requires a 12 volt supply.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
Â*On ourÂ*Winegard Carryout, I hook it to the Sat connection in the utility center.Â* On our coach there are two Sat connections in the utility center.Â* I bought a nifty tool that helps track which cable in the entertainment center goes Â*to which connector in the utility center.Â* It could also be used to track connections from theÂ*roof.Â* Â*I'll try to find a link to it you are interested.Â* IÂ*also installed a 12 voltÂ*recepticle in the utility center because the Carryout requires a 12 volt supply.Â*Â*
I'd be interested to know what the nifty tool is?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
Site Team

You can buy these at Menards in the electrical department (by the cable and telephone wires). I'm not sure of the correct name but the slang is "the fox and hound". You can trace any kind of wire throughout a building. You simply clip the transmitter onto one end of the line and then it beeps when you touch the other end. The good ones cost around $120 but you can get them at Menards for around $50.

I use mine for networking in a building.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Site Team

Here is the one I bought. Fairly inexpensive and works good. Just attach to both ends of cable to be tested and one part of the tool emitts a tone when you are on the right one. This tool is used forcoax cables.

http://www.satpro.tv/pocket-coax-cable-tester.aspxEdited by: Blenhardt
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
Site Team

My fancy little tool is called a "progressive Electronics 200EP inductive amplifier" You can trace any wire with it.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #14

the coax connection on the door side basement is "out to TV" only... not for in to receiver box. So we were told at the dealer during new purchase orientation...
marandjwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
Site Team

I think the dealer is right about the cable connection in the basement on the door side. It is to be used for an outside TV. There are two connections inside the utility compartment that are for sat in connections. They are marked SAT.

Dave-Your fancy llittle tool is more versatile but mine is less expensive; Your move!!!Edited by: Blenhardt
Old 02-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
I think the dealer is right about the cable connection in the basement on the door side. It is to be used for an outside TV. There are two connections inside the utility compartment that are for sat in connections. They are marked SAT.

Dave-Your fancy llittle tool is more versatile but mine is less expensive; Your move!!!

You win! Until you have to trace an electrical wire in your truck or hot rod I'm prepared like a boyscout at a girl scout jamboree.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #17

Let me ask this again. My dealer is stating that my SAT connections are on the roof. We take delivery of our trailer in May and it is about an hour away so I can't confirm. I want to hook up a Dish tailgater unit and I am thinking I should be able to run the coax connection into the SAT located in the service center. Hilton confirmed that there are two SAT connections in the service center. So if I have a receiver in the front living area and one in the bedroom I should be able to receive SAT. Is this correct?

Thanks

Rick
Old 02-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #18
Site Team

Yes, you can receive SAT with the connections in the service center. I do it with my Carryout. I only use a DVR receiver that only supports one TV (the one in the living area). I don't have SAT in the bedroom but sure it can be done without using the roof cables.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #19

Have things changed? I have two connections in the service center, One labeled "Cable" that goes to the Aux input on the Ant Amp and the other "Sat". Right now we have a cable connected to the "Cable port to supply Park cable signal to all three locations. My "Sat" connection in the service center went no where and while doing some maintenance in the area I started pulling the cable and it all came out with no connector on the end.
Now we don't use it as we have the Winegard on the roof with 4 cable routed to the three places I specified during the assembly process.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
Site Team

Yes, I guess things have changed. I have one connection labeled- Cable and Two connections labeled- Satellite. When using my Carryout I only use one. I used the tool I mentioned earlier to determine which one to use.