Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #1

Satellite Dish Type

'Portable' or 'Fixed' is the question. Having talked to various Rvers I get both sides of the fence for recommendations. I feel the fixed installation would be more convenient, especially in foul weather, but would need to ensure the space is not blocked to the southern skies. Portable is less expensive, but security is a possible problem with the added labor to set up. Also any opinions on DirecTV vs. DISH. Interested in opinions and experience. Thank you!
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #2

We have DISH, not sure if one is better than the other, just different.

We also have the Trav'ler on the roof, we had it installed by our dealer before we took delivery. It is simple to operate, literally push a button and it powers up and searches for the satellites and lets you know when it's finished. The downside...cost, its the most expensive solution and the Direct option is more than DISH. Other disadvantages... trees and/or anything else that blocks the southern sky.

At the park we are in now for 4 months we have lots of trees so the roof dish is useless so we recently purchased a tripod dish, ad so much trouble pointing it I sent it back and for a PathwayX2 which is a portable dish that automatically finds the sats, it is working well. I used cables to secure the antenna to a tree.

So the bottom line, its a toss-up, all solutions have pluses and minuses, you have to really decide what's best for you.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #3

We have Dish and use a tripod and with the Dish HD setup.

After a few time practicing I can now get everything out of the storage bay and setup in 5 min or less.

Use Dish Pointer App on I Phone and AccuTek III Meter to fine tune.

It is the cheapest option and with 75' of cable I can place is almost anywhere, I can even get signal at some heavily wooded sites, just need a small opening in the trees.
rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #4

rob_fla, you're more patient and/or skilled than I am.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #5

I am just cheap

Plus most of our Travels are in the Southeast where we run into wooded sites all the time with not much view of the southern sky.

It works for us, also like the fact that I can run both TVs with one receiver. we have the Dish Dual Channel receiver with two remotes.

We fulltime and move about every 2 weeks so I setup the Dish Tripod about 25 times a year.

We may go with a Redwood in the future when we trade again in a couple of years.
Been reading and watching this forum, time will tell and I like what I see, lots of changes in the happening in the RV industry.

See yall down the road !!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #6

Thank you for all your input. As the DW has her heart set on a 38GK, which is a stretch on our budget, I'll most likely go the cheaper route for now. And yes, the self- seeking models make a lot of sense. I have to replace the dish on our current Class C, so thought I would make the purchase now, and take it with me next year when we get the GK (counting on another good stock-market year!?).
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #7

There are several carry-out models to choose from, good luck in choosing...and with the market in 2014, hopefully the last couple of days are not a trend that will continue!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #8

If you go with DirecTV and want HD, the choice of dish is very limited. I don't think any of the portables work as DirecTV HD requires the slimLine dish either on a tripod or roof. I think there is something new out, but don't know if it gets HD or not.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:23 AM   #9

Been there - done that ...
Have the SWM dish and app and NO patience so the portable idea was a bust!

we went with the Travl'er on the roof for directv hd.
maybe later we'll consider an automatic portable when they come out with hd...

you MIGHT consider making the sat install part of the purchase At purchaser time EVERYTHING is negotiable !

Then you can add a portable later - good luck !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:39 AM   #10

Your opening statement pretty much sums it up - portable is portable, you have to set it up. Fixed is fixed, and if something is in the way it no workey. Dish or DirecTV - yes. There is no wrong answer, but each have some limitations as stated above.

We have Dish and the rooftop Travler. I've had our receivers on our home account and just leave them in there, but last week upgraded the house to the Hopper-Joey, and will do the same for the camper after it warms up a bit, but using a new RV account that I can activate and deactivate with use.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:16 AM   #11

We also have DNS (Distant Network Service)
Since we move so frequently it is a PITA to call Dish and have them change our Zip Code all the time.
With DNS we get New York and San Francisco ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX feeds anywhere in the US.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #12

Direct offered both feeds at one time, but a couple of years ago changed to offer only one, based on your billing address.
So we have the New York feeds.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #13

Like everything else there are pro & cons to the different set ups. The permanent is quicker and easier to set up, but the portable is cheaper, can be moved around to get signal, and If a person want's to you can switch providers and save some $.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #14

I found this in the apple store that helps point the DirecTV dish to the right place in the sky. I have the dish mounted on the roof so I use the app to determine if there is enough clearance between the trees to get a signal. Very helpful!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sato...505857707?mt=8
Old 01-28-2014, 02:28 AM   #15

There is also one for DISH. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dish...409665461?mt=8

It's designed by Dish for my RV who is a retailer that specializes in RV's but it has the DISH sats which will work on any DISH antenna.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:28 AM   #16

Our Dish guy that set up our house a few weeks had one, but I thought he was using a Galaxy. Is there one for Droid?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #17

Yes - just go to the app store - there are many of them, but I didn't find one that made me patient or smart enough to align it (may not be the apps fault !)

thus the portable SWM dish, tripod, and cable sit unused in the utility building out back !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #18

I did a search but didn't find one for the Droid, here is one you might want to look at...

Satellite AR - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=search_result

Looks like it had pretty good reviews...and it'd FREE
Old 02-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #19

I am very disappointed in the Pathway X2 basically because Winegard lied to me when I ordered it. I was very clear I wanted to keep my VIP 612 receiver and was told it would be compatible this is a lie. There are only three receivers that work with the X2.

They advertise you can watch two channels at one time, this is only partially true. Both channels have to be on the same satellite. You have no DVR with the X2 this requires a separate hard drive and there is a one time fee from DISH to register the hard drive. The X2 does set up very easy and I like that, however I am looking for a system just like home.

So learn from my mistakes after two automatic systems and over a $1,000.00, if you too want too watch to separate TV's and be able to record and watch at the same time. Learn how the aim the dish on the tripod, this is cheap and has a lot more flexibility.

That my 2 cent's worth.
arcticman1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #20

The X2 is not the perfect solution but is a solution...with limitations. If you want to watch anything other than OTA channels you have to have some type of sat antenna. The tripod mounted antenna is a solution...the least expensive option but generally the most troublesome to focus. If you have the patience to set it up, remember that if you want locals and HD there are 3 sats and 3 LNB's on the antenna,a which means you have to hit all 3 satellites to get full service coverage, this can be difficult...and frustrating!!! All the other antennas, except the roof mounted Trav'ler, have some limitations so you have to choose the level of limitation and cost while choosing. Bottom line...do the homework, be informed, ask questions. This forum has a wealth of knowledge and an abundance of people willing to share!!!!

The DVR function is not an X2 issue, we have the DISH 211's and in order to record we had to add external drives and register the receivers for DVR...doesn't matter which antennas you use, that is a function of the receivers. There are DISH receivers which have internal disk storage, I think the Hopper & Joey do??? The ones I had in out home before going on the road did but I chose to purchase receivers and not pay rent on the receivers when we went mobile.