Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2017, 01:19 AM   #1

satelite

on my 38gk, I can only find one satellite connection in the compartment that connects to bedroom TV .The other satellite connections doesn't connect to entertainment center or outside TV.I had direct TV to put transmitters on no these lines and they don't connect to anything. I have been using a cable thru the window to make TV and receiver to connect. There are three extra cables in entertainment center slide also but do not connect to anything I can find. Ant sugestions.
Old Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:00 AM   #2

Not sure about your GK, but most redwoods are prepped for satellite on the roof. This would be for a roof mounted satellite dish. I recall that some extra wiring is attached to one of the coax plates on the roof. If you would remove the self leveling seal carefully and remove the screws and lift the coax plate up out of the roof one of those has the extra harness attached to it. But there should be satellite IN coax plate in your docking station or convenience center. Also I believe that in order to use park cable or satellite that the antenna booster near the bedroom TV must be turned off. Hopefully others who have satellite can chime in here soon and help more.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #3

We had a traveler antenna for directv on our 13 38gk and don't recall anything special they had to do to put it on like you described...

and when we transferred it to the Monaco, nothing special then....

good luck !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #4

After trying to follow a Redwood supplied coax wiring diagram, I realized that my 2014 38GK was not wired like the diagram. A buddy of mine armed with a tone tester and a coax tester spent a good part of the day mapping out most all of the coax runs in my rig.

Not to say yours is wired like mine, but here is what I found. There are 3 marked orange coax cables in the entertainment center. One is a direct run to the convenience center, the 2nd is a direct run to the roof, the 3rd is a direct run to the outside tv.

As I mentioned, we used a standard tone tester and a Kline coax tester (Klein Coax Explorer Plus Tester))

Attached is the diagram of my unit.

Hope that helps.....

Ken
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2014_38GK_cable_wiring.pdf (364.2 KB, 26 views)
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by r time soon View Post
Not sure about your GK, but most redwoods are prepped for satellite on the roof. This would be for a roof mounted satellite dish. I recall that some extra wiring is attached to one of the coax plates on the roof. If you would remove the self leveling seal carefully and remove the screws and lift the coax plate up out of the roof one of those has the extra harness attached to it. But there should be satellite IN coax plate in your docking station or convenience center. Also I believe that in order to use park cable or satellite that the antenna booster near the bedroom TV must be turned off. Hopefully others who have satellite can chime in here soon and help more.

Chris
The satellite wiring is independent of the antenna/cable TV wiring, so the antenna boost doesn't impact satellite at all. For Cable at a campsite, you do have to make sure the booster is off because cable TV and roof TV antenna share the same coax and have splitters.

That extra wire part of the satellite prep and is the 6 conductor control cable for a roof mount Winegard Traveler satellite antenna. It has no other purpose.

Take a look at Ken's drawing and it will show how it should be routed. It confuses the Direct TV guys sometimes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user488_pic699_1443542424.jpg (21.4 KB, 1 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote