Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Site Team

Has anybody tried installing their own Sat. dish on the roof? I'm considering doing it myself and wondering what I'm in for.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #2

Dave , I've watched two of the Slimlines installed. Don't think it would be too hard 'secially since the coach is alreay wired for it. I had mine put up front so I have alot of cable on the roof but its all clamped down and sealed so no problem. You just want to use lots of sealer.
2013 Redwood 36RL Full paint D/W W/D 2 A/C's and all the other stuff.
jrgkfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Site Team

I'm thinking the "wing Guard" slime line. This system seems to have a power cord going to it. I know I have 2 cables up on the roof but how do I get the power cord up there?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #4

What. Model of Redwood do you have?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #5

I read somewhere here that the control cable is already in the roof but I dont know where. We had them run a cable down thu the bathromwallto the basement and put the control there. That way it's not in the bedroom and I've it part of the set up and tear down while the wife is doing her thing inside.Search the forum it's in here and it wasn't too long ago.
2013 Redwood 36RL Full paint D/W W/D 2 A/C's and all the other stuff.
jrgkfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #6

From the factory on the original RL's the control/power wire might be behind behind the bedroom tv and the other end under one of the 2 cable ends on the roof. I still removed the bathroom skylight and fished additional coax through the roof and down the wall behind the shower into the basement. I mounted my controller in the toolbox cubby where there already is power to plug in.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #7

Explore moved my roof mount winegard from my Open Range to my 36RL and we had him mount the control box in the bottom of the coat closet by the door. He had no problem with the installation of my unit since it's prewired. Personally I would find a good dealer like Explore and have it done and set up properly with my sound system.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #8

On the RE's, the power cable for the Winegard control box is in the cabinet beside the bedroom TV.
jpdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #9

Fathog99 when you went to Explore did they have to run new wire for the Dish or did they use the ones all ready on the roof? Only reason Im asking is I inquired the other day about having a dish installed on the roof and they told me they would have to run 2 more lines and it would be a bout 3 g’s! I told them that I have wires all ready run but he keep telling me that they would have to add 2 more wires.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #10

The only wireExplore USAran was for the control box to raise and lower the dish. As far as I know all the rest of the wiring harness was there. The 36RL is already wired for a roof sat dish. If nothing else go to Camping World. They installed the dish on my Open Range and had to run all the wiring and I'm sure it was less than $250.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #11

I'm having the Direct TV dish installed as we speak for $300. Not sure if they have to run additional wiring or not, but the dealer already new in advanced Redwood typically have cable wiring problems.