Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Site Team

My truck has the factory Navigation (2012 F350 Ford) which is ok, but occasionally sends me on a "scenic tour" down side streets and backroads. Usually not a problem, but I really don't want this to happen when I've got the coach on the back and discover a 12' underpass .........

Do any of you have and use any of the newer "RV " GPS ? And if so, do you like or dislike ? I know this will probably open up a can of worms and a bunch of opinions, but I'm really trying to decide whether to buy one or not. Leaning towards the Magellan unit but have heard some experiences that were not good.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #2

i have a garman and put in truck mode ,this saves me from low bridges and under passes, i have found that it depens on the shortest rute or the quickest also hope this helps
Old 03-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #3

We just finished a 2000 mile trip with a Rand McNally RV GPS. Very few issues with it. Has a lot of cool features specifically for RVs. I would definitely buy it again, after living with it for a couple of months.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaw13
We just finished a 2000 mile trip with a Rand McNally RV GPS. Very few issues with it. Has a lot of cool features specifically for RVs. I would definitely buy it again, after living with it for a couple of months.
Hey - I wonder if I saw your rig - a black/Burgundy one on 285 by the 470 entrance (a few months ago)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #5

That's very possible. We have a black/burgundy 2013 RL and a black Chevy 3500. We have met a few RW owners in CO, most with the same color scheme. Maybe we should get a rally pulled together for CO owners this summer. It's always nice to meet new people and put faces with names.

Sorry to sidetrack this thread. Piperguy, feel free to contact me directly if you want more on the Rand McNally GPS unit.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

I have the rand McNally as well. Keeps you on the truck routes. Good piece of gear
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #7

We have the Magellan unit. Have not been disappointed yet.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #8

we have the Rand McNally with the lifetime maps. We have travelled over 26K miles using it and have had no problems. We set it to avoid low clearance below 13'6" , u turns and tunnels that prohibit propane. Have had no issues thusfar.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaw13
That's very possible. We have a black/burgundy 2013 RL and a black Chevy 3500. We have met a few RW owners in CO, most with the same color scheme. Maybe we should get a rally pulled together for CO owners this summer. It's always nice to meet new people and put faces with names.
I meant to say 287, but it was unhitched sitting there for about a week. It inspired our purchase. Rally would be great, maybe make a presence in Creede or something instead of letting the Airstreamers have all the fun.

Piperguy, are you asking about the Garmin "Trucker" versions that 2Bucks describes, or are there RV versions now. My Nuvi is so old now I don't trust it, and I would rather buy a new one than upgrade software.Edited by: atom ant
Old 03-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #10

I'm old school since I still use the Rand McNally truck edition paper map book. There's just something about seeing the clarity of a large piece of real estate on paper.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift
I'm old school since I still use the Rand McNally truck edition paper map book. There's just something about seeing the clarity of a large piece of real estate on paper.
I use the built in GPS of my truck but I also use the trucker atlas as well. I have a tough time keeping in perspective where I am without seeing it on the map.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #12

Agree with that! All this gadgetry will tell me how to get "there", but when I want to figure out where "there" is, we pull out the Atlas.

Also have "Next Exit" apps on our phones, but what do we really use, the 2" thick "Next Exit" book in the side pocket.