Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #1

rv generator

Hi folks, I bought a 2014 Redwood 36re back in November and have a couple of questions..I'm a touring musician and wondered what ya'lls opinion of this Fifth Wheel is as far as traveling with it ALOT..Will it hold up over the long haul..Being my first 5th wheel purchase I did about 6 months of homework on them and chose Redwood for quality, the way it's built, fit and finish and finally looks..My second question is what type, size, generator is best suited for this particular trailer..Thanks for any input..Txase
txase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
Site Team

txase welcome to the group.

I had a 2012 36RL and towed it all over the country. The nearest we can figure, we towed it between 35,000 and 40,000 miles in 3 year time period. So to answer your question, the redwood is capable of being towed a great deal. I would recommend you keeping a close eye on the suspension because these have had suspension issues. Also check the tires. They should be G rated or better due to the weight. As with ALL rvs, maintenance is the key to the reliability.

As for the generator, I had and really liked the LP Onan 5500. It would power both a/c units and everything else I needed in the coach. Some on here have used 2 gas generators harnessed together that has worked. But I have no personal experience with this set up.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #3

Also there is considerable posting regarding the brakes on these coaches. Standard is electric drum brakes, but many have either ordered their coaches with hydraulic disc brakes (electrically activated) or converted them after the fact. The differences in stopping distance is astounding. Something to consider. I didn't wait for an "oops moment" to happen and converted to discs.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #4

If you are looking for the convenience of a built in - these are tailored for the Onan 5500 LP or 6500 LP. We have the 5500 and it does a nice job, even with both ACs.

If you are looking for just a portable, there are plenty of options but like Dave says, it will take (2) 2000 watt or at least a 3,000 watt single just to run anything.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #5

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions..the G rated tire issue will be addressed shortly..The disc brake issue as well although I've driven this trailer with no issues in stop and go traffic and on a few long hauls with no issues..And thanks for the Onan advise as I wasn't sure what particular generater this Redwood was prewired for..
Again thanks
txase
txase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
Site Team

Then you won't believe the difference when you change to disc brakes. Had drums on mine and after the change the difference is incredible. Just don't forget to change the controller setting in the truck or the discs won't work correctly.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #7

If you need to change the wheels to run G tires, think about 17 !/2 rims a H tires. May even cost you less.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by txase View Post
Hi folks, I bought a 2014 Redwood 36re back in November and have a couple of questions..I'm a touring musician and wondered what ya'lls opinion of this Fifth Wheel is as far as traveling with it ALOT..Will it hold up over the long haul..Being my first 5th wheel purchase I did about 6 months of homework on them and chose Redwood for quality, the way it's built, fit and finish and finally looks..My second question is what type, size, generator is best suited for this particular trailer..Thanks for any input..Txase
After calculating the total loads we could operate at once on a hot day I chose the Onan 6.5 KW Gold propane gen and replaced the 2-30 # propane bottles with 2-40 # bottles for our 2013 RW RL. The electric dryer and other added optional loads loaded our gen to about 80% of rating. I used 80% factor when designing industrial applications which allows for the starting amperage required by most inductive loads. That extra 20% helps to avoid voltage sags when loads are cycling.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote