Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #1

RV Dealer Repairs

We currently live in VA and purchased our 2015 36RL from McGeorges RV in Ashland VA. They have been unable to make timely repairs to issues with the camper. We asked for strips in the corner of the closets to be repaired which was not completed, other wood pieces continue to come off, this past April they had our camper from April till October and still was unable to fix all the issues associated with the slide outs (Now the are rubbing when closed against the other areas. They broke a piece and have not yet gotten the replacement piece, the under carriage had to small holes, not fixed and two long scratches on the Outside TV enclosure was left unfixed. The insurance paid McGeorges and we paid together it total about 8000+ in repairs due to welding issues under the camper carriage coming apart. We took our camper out of McGeorges (now a Camping World) in order to at least get our trip to Maine. The service manager agreed to finish the repairs upon our return (Now fired) but needless to say we are disappointed in the lack of qualified service repair personnel for our camper in the Virginia area. Does anyone else have this problem of getting timely qualified repair for their Redwoods?
DannySawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #2

Nearly EVERYONE that owns a rv!!!
They are selling record numbers of rvs for the last few years & the service side of the industry can't keep up.
Due to lack of qualified technicians, low pay & the total lack of QC from the factory it's snowballed into a huge problem throughout the rv industry.
You're best option is to make all the repairs yourself that you can or get in touch with a mobil rv repair service, they usually work for themselves & not bound by the dealerships lack of concern after the sale.
If it's a major structural issue I'd contact RW directly as you should have a 5 year warranty on the structure & try to take it to the facility in Topeka Indiana for the repairs.
If your insurance has paid for services that have not been done, contact them & let them deal with a refund from the dealer. Contact the BBB on the dealer, talk to the GM of the dealership, go all the the way to the top of Thor if necessary, but document, document, document everything.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #3

Ditto the Service Center in Indiana. If nothing else make plans to attend the National Rally in Shipshewana, the Factory Techs that are their do a great job and may get you to the Service Center from there if determined your RW need major repairs.
Just a side note: No Dealer or Service Center would have our RW from April till October, I'd run it off a cliff first.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #4

80% satisfied with Tulsa Rv they do a good job...just a little slow but they got a big work load...
katy4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #5

We also purchased a 2015 39 MB from Mc Georges in Ashland Va, took it there for repairs after our first outing to get problems fixed, told them we would use same in about six weeks as we were still working at that time. Called them the Monday before we wanted to pick up and what a surprise they had not started yet, they then tried to fix all problems half heartily and when we got there for p\up they had parts on order. We had to take unit back a couple more times for them to fix same original problems, killed my batteries as I had put a second cut off on unit to avoid draining batteries when stowed.
Mechanic shot a a quick charge in to unit through Generator Battery power cable, blowing the 200 Amp fuse on back wall, me at time never having owned an RV before accepted that the unit would charge itself in the time we were driving to our campsite, which it didn't and I then spent the weekend chasing the system trying to find the problem running extensions so we could power fridge and it was a nightmare weekend instead of a pleasure weekend.
If i got anything out of it it was knowledge of finding that fuse even though couldn't get one till we got home, I now carry spares even though I have never had that problem again, and replacing the batteries with Interstate Deep Cycle.
Oh had a leak under shower that they said they fixed, wrong still leaked, pulled washer and drier out removed access panel and found a leak at valve, replaced same and never had a problem since. I could go on.
All I can say is the best day was running out of original warranty, because now I can fix whatever I want, and may not be as fast but I know I will be better. The extended warranty, I cant say nothing bad about, used a couple times once for the transfer power box, which I can now do myself after watching tech, and even the water valve in fridge was a very simple fix when watching tech. I don't know if I will extend the warranty when it is thru in 2020, as I don't believe we will have used what we paid for it.
Been very fortunate with our Rv, the fact that we live in it seems to keep us from having problems, as we are using all systems regularly, I noticed when we went away and left RV alone for aprox 3 months this summer, Hepa valves seemed to stick in sinks for a couple days but freed themselves up and give no more problem, that came from sitting unattended.

Good luck, happy trails and Merry Christmas.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #6

My Stepson & I both bought RV’s from Mcgeorges in Ashland, Va. They have an impressive snack bar gratis to customers & treat you like a king BEFORE the sale but we’re not impressed with their service AFTER the sale. There.... I said it!
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:21 AM   #7

During the 5th year of ownership, Redwood fixed the crack in the side of our rig near the front of the bedroom - welding, strengthening, replacing the skin,etc. I have nothing but good things to say about the folks at the shop and the work they did. It was done at the Keystone repair facility in Goshen.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #8

Before I was in the market for my Redwood, I had a SOB fifth wheel and spent ( still do ) a lot of time in the Ashland area for work and play..

I was at Americamps the week of NASCAR in Richmond and had to move to my spot at the track by Friday as Americamps is always sold out race weekend.

While heading into the area I pulled off the highway heading for Americamps and realized my truck had an issue, long story short, my steering pump had disconnected from its mounts.

The local Ford dealer promised I would have my truck back by Thursday for the move, but the part came in and was broke.

I was stuck and had to move my 15k fifth wheel without a truck.. I went to McGeorges and explained my issue to the service manager who spoke to the GM, They had a tech come to the campground in the McGeorges pickup and move me on his lunch break down to the race track, All that was asked of me was to TIP the driver for his efforts..
I cannot say ANY bad things about them, at least the service end..I gave them first bid on selling me my Redwood, but ended up buying from the local dealer.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #9

I'd like to know how you did it, as ours has been "fixed" once at the dealer under warranty, and once at the 2017 rally. By the looks of the outer skin, it still isn't right. Don't know how to start it now with Keystone. We have a nearby factory in Pendleton, OR.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:15 PM   #10
Site Team

Jim - call or PM me