Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #1

Driving back from a nice quiet weekend in our 36RL we encountered a thunderstorm with heavy rain. After the storm passed, I realized the running lights on my trailer were not working. They were working when I hooked up because I always check to make sure. Now they're dark.

I'm assuming that the heavy rain popped a fuse due to water getting into one of the lights. But that's an assumption. Any other reasons that I may have overlooked?

Is the fuse for the running lights located inside the box with the breakers?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Grandpa

I'd start looking at the truck and then work back toward the trailer. Try the fuses in the truck and then check the plug. You can actually do this with a tester but sometimes the plug isn't making good contact with the trailer end of the plug. They do make a grease for electrical plugs that helps too.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #3

Check the truck, what do you have? My GM has a separate fuze for the trailer lights.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

So you guys think it's the truck? We have an F-350.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #5

I had the same thing happen with my son's trailer. He used my truck and when I got it back the fuze was blown. My fuze box is on the panel above front left tire under the hood. Don't know where the Ford one is but there is a separate fuze for the trailer lights. Start there first
Old 08-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #6

Dave you're right the gel is called die-electric gel and we use it on everything including the bulbs shafts and mounting housing.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #7

Do you use this gel when you plug in the lamps for outside lighting? Is it to seal the plug from moisture?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa

Do you use this gel when you plug in the lamps for outside lighting? Is it to seal the plug from moisture?

The grease is generally a silcone based productsometimes called bulb grease. You can get it at most any automotive supplies store. It will help prevent corrosion of contacts or pins in your plugs and recepticle. I would grease up both sets of contacts or mating surfaces.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Grandpa
I don't knoe about the RW but my Alfa Sun had a fuse box in the housing around the pin box...It had a fuse for the trailer lights
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #10

If you want check the trailer lights you can use a jumper wire between the top two terminals (#3 and #4) on your trailer cord. If you're worried about using a wire, a fuse can be used instead if you bend the tabs a little to match the angle of the plug.

I keep an old style turn signal relay just in case I have a break down and have to leave the trailer. I just have to plug it in and all the running lights will flash like hazard lights.

TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
If you want check the trailer lights you can use a jumper wire between the top two terminals (#3 and #4) on your trailer cord. If you're worried about using a wire, a fuse can be used instead if you bend the tabs a little to match the angle of the plug.

I keep an old style turn signal relay just in case I have a break down and have to leave the trailer. I just have to plug it in and all the running lights will flash like hazard lights.

Steve, that's one hell of a good idea! THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #12

Thanks Dave, Glad to share what I've learned from others.
You can use the jumper to add more lighting to your campsite.....party time.
The flasher can also be helpful for assisting emergency vehicles, (police, EMS), locate your trailer in the campground should you ever need them.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #13

Grandpa, had the same problem - turned out some of the wirenuts in the truck plug and the hitch electrical box had come loose. Easy fix.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #14

Thanks for the feedback from everyone who chimed in!! I'll use your suggestions to trouble shoot and hope the problem is resolved!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson

Steve,

I want to make sure I understand what you are doing with the flasher relay. Are you plugging it into the trailer cord, and if so, what is the orientation? It sounds like a great idea.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #16

HoosierGuy, Plug it in the trailer cord across the battery charge and running lights terminal.. Refer to the schematic above for terminal locations..