Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 03:21 AM   #21

We have just discovered our roof is bubbling/wrinkling. We are just starting the process, but they told us "all RV roofs have this bubbling, it's normal". We are still in "discussions".

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:17 AM   #22

Our Roof came un-bonded and filled up with air, thank goodness we were still in the 2 year Redwood Warranty.

Redwood covered a roof replacement, if it had happened after this coming July, it would most likely have been a different story

IMG_2127.jpg
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:11 AM   #23
Site Team

It's a shame........

In my business if I put out a product that went bad due due to bad craftsmanship.....I would be forced out of business. In the RV world it's acceptable.

I'm not sure if it should be shame on them for building it or....shame on us for accepting the idea that it's okay. With that said, I must admit......not all RV companies are the same however there seems to be more bad than good.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:18 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkidder View Post
Have you taken the roof to an RV roofing company to see what the cost will be to have it repaired? As much as it sucks, for me it would be upsetting at first then as the reality set in, I might be a blessing. I would look into the rhino-liner type roofing or another 30 year roof. A real one, not some crap RV roofing save some weight thin skimpy product, but a real one. It is funny how commercial truck industry can have a roof on a trailer for 30 years and it gets slammed into tree limbs at freeway speed and nobody is caulking them every year, but the RV industry can't seem to have a roof on ANY RV last more than 2 years with out a leak.
My current rig has a fiberglass roof and so far it's trouble free. I must say though I really miss the simplicity of the old fashion tin roof that took a little tar every spring. They took a little work each spring but they were pretty durable.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #25

Roof

Redwood has roof problems. A number of us have had to replace our roofs. I would press hard for the new roof to be replaced with the Roof Armor material. My 2015 had the same problem. They tried to wiggle out of it also and it was new. Finally they agreed but place the same type roof. So far no problems that I know of. But trust me. Take it back to Redwood and make them replace it if at all possible. The stealer ships just simply don't know what they are doing. Or should I say most of them don't. Sorry for your problems. Keep us posted on the out come.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEileen View Post
Does it bother anyone else that Redwood had a 2/5 year warranty and now has only one year? What does that say about the company/product? We were considering going to a 39 BR , but now I'm not sure what we should do.
We love our Redwood. Unfortunately, a lot has changed with the company since our purchase so this coach will be our last RW.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
My current rig has a fiberglass roof and so far it's trouble free. I must say though I really miss the simplicity of the old fashion tin roof that took a little tar every spring. They took a little work each spring but they were pretty durable.
They didn't last one season here in Colorado. Hail is murder to those and I am really glad they are gone. Our single ply membrane roof has already survived many hailstorms without a mark.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
They didn't last one season here in Colorado. Hail is murder to those and I am really glad they are gone. Our single ply membrane roof has already survived many hailstorms without a mark.
I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years. I've always thought a fiberglass roof is the shiznitz of all roofs.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years. I've always thought a fiberglass roof is the shiznitz of all roofs.
No I was talking about the old tin roofs. Hail could trash your camper every season.

I did some research on the fiberglass. It sounds like a better alternative, but has a few issues. Winnebago had issues with the curved edges popping out of the seal because they didn't fold it over and secure like some others, and I guess you have to pay attention to walking close to an roof penetrations, as it can push down on the roof and break the seal around the penetration and you don't see it until its too late. Other than that, I believe they had a lot of advantages over the single ply membrane.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #30
Site Team

As Brad said not all fiberglass roofs are the same. Winnebago has had a heck of a time with theirs around the front cap and on the edge above the driver. They've had a bunch of issue with the roofs pealing back. I always wanted the "molded" fiberglass roof but I have heard that they don't have enough give to them so hail cracks them.

I don't think there is a perfect rv roof but so far I'm happy with mine. It's a whole lot sturdier to walk on than the Redwood roof.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:10 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Speaking of hail.....

I've talked about carrying old motorcycle helmets with us in case we have to leave the coach in a storm. I'm worried about flying debris and hail hitting our heads.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #32

Use your pots and pans ,they work almost as well..... My neighbors are used to seeing me walking around with them sideways on my head
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #33

One of the selling points to us with our RW was the 2/5 warranty to hear that a roof is not covered after2.5 years is really hard to believe. I would be on the Phone many times a day even if I were to get a no each time. I have talked to our dealer about this issue because it was one of the selling points and they assured us it would get taken care of. I confirmed this back to them in a email so I had it in writing from the sales manager and service manager.

Praying I do not have this issue. But I was also praying that my Door would not separate and I guess the answer was no because my door fell apart and is now being replaced and painted.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
Use your pots and pans ,they work almost as well..... My neighbors are used to seeing me walking around with them sideways on my head
hahahahaaha!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Speaking of hail.....

I've talked about carrying old motorcycle helmets with us in case we have to leave the coach in a storm. I'm worried about flying debris and hail hitting our heads.
Not a bad idea!

In the great state of Nebraska - I've been in hail so bad, it shattered the fiberglass roof of my buddies Blazer and left them huddling in the front part of the cab. I couldn't even get out to help them, and two of them went to the hospital by ambulance when it was all over. At the same time, my TT was clobbered - and I the insurance even listed the metal cover for the stove because the hail balls came through the vent and dented the stove!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:17 PM   #36

Quote:
PLEASE POST PICS OF THIS!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2016, 12:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post

PLEASE POST PICS OF THIS!!!!!!!

Sorry, i do believe that was from a different time... And involved the 2 B's... Beer and bets.....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:25 AM   #38

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Sorry, i do believe that was from a different time... And involved the 2 B's... Beer and bets.....
And know the hearing is not to good from the rocks hitting the pot
Old 02-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEileen View Post
They told us the material is guaranteed for 12 years, but not the installation! Our 2 year warranty ran out in August according to the factory.
Hi guys!

So sorry to hear you've had issues with the roof. I would like to, with your permission, take this before my contact at RW and in our Customer Service department to review this situation. Sometimes, it helps to just have another set of eyes on things like this!

I will be contacting you privately to get some additional information.

Thanks!

Christian
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:00 AM   #40

I just took my 39mb to the shop for repairs. one of them being, two of my slide roofs were not glued down or may be they were and the glue did not cure properly.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote