Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
lwg

Roof sealant has holes in it

Was up on the roof the other day to check out my AC problems and noticed that the roof sealant around the crank up antenna has holes in it. Looks like it's shrinking and starting to tear. This is on a 10 month old coach. Anybody know if that's a warranty item?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Possibly, but not sure. When mine had its first annual check there were some sealant issues that needed to be addressed. My service dealer said that Redwood and most other manufacturers consider sealant repairs as a maintenance item. That's also one of the big reasons you have it checked at least each year. In my case they were doing other stuff including servicing the wheels and bearings and all they charges me for was a tube of sealant.

FWIW the dealer servicing mine is not the selling dealer but has gone out of their way to help with any warranty issues and also has great service. I'm hoping they pick up Redwood if it becomes available in his area.

If any of you are in the Baltimore area and need service, try Cheasaco RV in Joppa, MD. Great people and top notch service dept.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Was up on the roof the other day to check out my AC problems and noticed that the roof sealant around the crank up antenna has holes in it. Looks like it's shrinking and starting to tear. This is on a 10 month old coach. Anybody know if that's a warranty item?
This is probably the main reason Redwood requires annual inspections. They want to make sure that any sealant issues are addressed as well as caulking around windows, slides etc. I saw a few spots on my roof that I thought needed to be looked at but the dealer that inspected it saw more than I did. Now my roof caulking looks like overkill as caulk has been added over most of the original caulking from factory. Better safe than sorry!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #4

I believe it's a warranty issue, if you can get it to the dealer VERY soon, do so...if you can't, add some sealant yourself to prevent any leaking.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #5

Mine was similar. I added some caulking to it while I was up there doing the satellite antenna.

When we went in for our annual, they charged us 2 hrs for the inspection, but they caulked as part of that fee.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #6

The day before we left for work I was installing the roof vent covers. And noticed the calking at both ends of the roof had holes big enough to stick two finger through. This RV was new to me in January 14. But must have sat on the lot for a while. I put caulk on everything till I can get it in for other issues.

Alan & Debbie Cheney
2011 DENALI HD 1 TON
2013 40KB LIMITED
40KB LIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:23 AM   #7

I had mine inspected after I found ROOF issue were the END CAPS ALUMINUM WERE EXPOSED, HAD BEEN STEPPED ON TO PUSH STRIPPED SCREWS DOWN into the caulk. I had taken photos and date stamped them thru cell camera, inspector team that told me they had inspected roof, so I went outside climbed on roof took additional photos showing same issue. FOLKS WE PAID QUITE A CHUNK OF CHANGE, inspect it YOURSELF. IF I HAD NOT , when IT rained for a week ON my redwood, sitting without ANYBODY INSIDE, while I was being treated for a year might have been ruined. Ask your dealer for the pre repair checklist, and the post repair checklist, you paid, so get the Inspection. Note: the redwood checklist does not cover the wheel bearings. Good Luck! Remember Dealers are Human, "I think".
Old 05-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
lwg

So I've used the roof sealant before when installing panels, but that was when no prior sealant was there. For an issue like the one mentioned above do I just clean the area really well and put the additional sealant on top of the existing sealant? OR do I need to remove all the sealant and start from scratch?

Also, if it matters I'm using the same Alpha sealant the factory uses so it should be chemically compatible (if that's a real thing!).
Old 05-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #9

Quote:

Also, if it matters I'm using the same Alpha sealant the factory uses so it should be chemically compatible (if that's a real thing!).
I heard the factory uses the Alpha sealant. Are you using something else?
Old 05-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
lwg

Nope, ordered up a bunch of the factory Alpha sealant late last year for my solar installation. Have an extra 2 tubes I was keeping for inventory.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:50 AM   #11

Quote:
So I've used the roof sealant before when installing panels, but that was when no prior sealant was there. For an issue like the one mentioned above do I just clean the area really well and put the additional sealant on top of the existing sealant? OR do I need to remove all the sealant and start from scratch?

According to Alpha website if the sealant is loose then you need to remove it, but if the sealant is stuck then wash with mild soap and water and let dry, then put new sealant over the old sealant. Yes, alpha is the sealant to use.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #12

I don't know about Dealers being Human, but some are crooks!! Recently had our roof checked at Camping World in Bartow, FL. When the Guy came down from the roof, his report was that we had some serious issues, several areas where it was leaking, serious mildew, etc. Was really pushing for their Total Roof Maintenance like $350.00). Since we were on our way to Holiday, FL, I told him I would check with the CW there.
We got to the Park and I went up on the roof, guess what, no mildew to be found, actually had just been washed several weeks prior, several little spots that could use a little touch-up, but nothing serious. So I just touched up those spots and called it good.
Now I know why and how that CW offers a Free Roof inspection. They are now off my list.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I don't know about Dealers being Human, but some are crooks!! Recently had our roof checked at Camping World in Bartow, FL. When the Guy came down from the roof, his report was that we had some serious issues, several areas where it was leaking, serious mildew, etc. Was really pushing for their Total Roof Maintenance like $350.00). Since we were on our way to Holiday, FL, I told him I would check with the CW there.
We got to the Park and I went up on the roof, guess what, no mildew to be found, actually had just been washed several weeks prior, several little spots that could use a little touch-up, but nothing serious. So I just touched up those spots and called it good.
Now I know why and how that CW offers a Free Roof inspection. They are now off my list.
Kind of like the black oil they keep in the drawer at the oil change places and it always finds its way to the waiting area as a sample of your transmission oil, brake fluid, or some expensive fluid you need to change. Quit messing with those guys years ago when they tried to sell me a transmission fluid change because of dirty oil and the transmission had just been replaced the week before. I embarrassed him.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:53 AM   #14

I wish there was a way to post this video of the holes in my new roof. I just lucky I saw it before we got here, we have had some heavy rain this week. Just this morning as I was leaving campground I saw where a large tree line had fallin on a new Voltage Toy Haller. Sad. They had it all cut up and tarps on the camper.

Alan & Debbie Cheney
2011 DENALI HD 1 TON
2013 40KB LIMITED
40KB LIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote