Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #1

Residential Refrigerator

Own a Redwood 38GK and have problems with the freezer door on my residential refrigerator coming open while traveling. On the last trip, it came open and had a hard time closing it and now will not open all the way. Have tried using felcro but it will not keep stuck to the wood on the side of the refrig. Anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
Own a Redwood 38GK and have problems with the freezer door on my residential refrigerator coming open while traveling. On the last trip, it came open and had a hard time closing it and now will not open all the way. Have tried using felcro but it will not keep stuck to the wood on the side of the refrig. Anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this.
I had a problem with the freezer doors on our Dometic not sealing very well. When I took our unit into the factory service center for the first year inspection, I had the refrigerator on my list of items to be checked. A Dometic representative came into to inspect it and said the freezer doors were warped, so, they replaced the freezer doors under warranty.

I recommended you talk with the factory service center.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:24 AM   #3

Hoosierguy he has the residential package it has a Samsung fridge like in a house. The fridge and freezer drawer will open unless its latched or secured closed in some way. Just got mine and it has a latch for the freezer drawer glued to the outside that has a release button you unlatch it when using it. I would get a pic but she's all put away at the moment. The fridge doors just have a Velcro strap but I'm gonna put something more secure on it. You may be able to go to Lowes or Ace hardware and find some kind of latch and just Gorilla glue it on there.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:21 AM   #4

On our previous 5er, they put a self stick magnetic strip where the door closed to pull it tighter...
but on our 38gk's residential samsung we only had the velcro - I did go to home depot and get a 2 inch wide velcro strip to add to the fridge doors,
but nothing yet for the freezer - will see what the dealer says when I pick it up tomorrow....

Wouldn't be pretty, but as a temporary measure, maybe one of those expandable shower curtain rods between the freezer door and the other side of the coach ?!?

This is in Chrome - would even match our fridge !!!
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #5

I found out they are using child locks to prevent the freezer drawer from opening. U can get them at Lowes or Walmart. They just stick to the side of the unit and the drawer.