Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #1

Res Fridge Practicality

Now that some of you have migrated from RV fridges to residential - for those of you that are casual campers, what are your thoughts now on the practicality of the residential fridge concept? Is it working out? Can you adjust your RV style to make it useful? Or do you cuss it?

I know some of you are just plug jumpers so it may not be a big deal (move from full hookup to full hookup), but for those that use them more for vacation (parked in front of house a while loading for next day, parked in the Sea World parking lot, Mt Rushmore, Wall Drug .......that kind of stuff, has it kept everything cold - batteries hold up?

Dave - I know your MH has some additional back up plans like auto-gen start when batteries get low - has that all worked out in your migration from the gas fridge to residential? Happy with it?

Just curious - I look forward to the day when I may have to chose between the new 18cf Norcold or a Residential (mainly because that means I'm buying something new again )
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #2

Brad,

I have 4-6v batteries, residential refer and 2 inverters, one 1000w for the refer, one 2000w for the rig. The way I configured the rig for boon docking is that I power the entertainment circuit 24/7 with the 2000w inverter. During the night and mid-day, I power the entire rig with the other 20a side of the 2000w inverter. I do this by simply plugging the rig into the inverter, a manual process. I charge the batteries with my Honda 2000 for an hour or two in the morning and evening. Although I normally connect 2 Honda's, I'll typically only use one at a time to charge the batteries.

Overnight, I run the refer, heated cpap machine and what ever components that draw juice in the entertainment circuit (Hopper, etc). In the morning, I have enough power to make a pot of coffee using an electric 1000w coffee pot.

Bottom line, I'd never own another RV refer. The advantages far out weigh the ability to run on gas IMHO. The minimal amount of power it draws hasn't been an issue for us in the 2 years we have had it. We like the size and especially like the 'transfer' from the home refer to the RV when we pack. They are the same size, everything fits.

The other issue for us was safety. We turned the gas refer off at night. Things always stayed plenty cold. I suppose if battery power was an issue, we could do the same with the residential refer, but we haven't as yet.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:51 AM   #3

Our Res Fridge hasn't been turned off since we picked up this MB. I added two additional Deep Cycle 12 Volt Batteries and it will keep the Fridge going for a few Days if need be. Not a problem when traveling as the TV is suppling power to keep everything topped off and when parked with no power we can always hit the Gen Start button. Will never go back to an RV Fridge, no matter the size.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Now that some of you have migrated from RV fridges to residential - for those of you that are casual campers, what are your thoughts now on the practicality of the residential fridge concept? Is it working out? Can you adjust your RV style to make it useful? Or do you cuss it?

I know some of you are just plug jumpers so it may not be a big deal (move from full hookup to full hookup), but for those that use them more for vacation (parked in front of house a while loading for next day, parked in the Sea World parking lot, Mt Rushmore, Wall Drug .......that kind of stuff, has it kept everything cold - batteries hold up?

Dave - I know your MH has some additional back up plans like auto-gen start when batteries get low - has that all worked out in your migration from the gas fridge to residential? Happy with it?

Just curious - I look forward to the day when I may have to chose between the new 18cf Norcold or a Residential (mainly because that means I'm buying something new again )

Brad, honestly I wouldn't go back! I'll be honest though I'm pretty much a "plug jumper" too. My fridge is always on due to the inverter being left on most of the time. I think the amount of battery power is the key to making the system work.

The problem with a lot of RVs is that the systems seem fragile. The residential fridge I believe takes one of those fragile elements away. Folks that "boon dock" a lot my have a different view on this.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Folks that "boon dock" a lot my have a different view on this.
That is exactly why I would not have a residential. I will be leaving mine unattended in the mountains for a few days at a time.

I do wish the 18cf RV unit was an option however. Many other SOB's offer it.

Larry
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #6

We won't go back to an RV fridge if we can help it. We are plug jumpers and have no plans to boondock. When our rv fridge went out, it was twice as expensive to replace than if we went with a regular fridge. Glad we did though. More room and colder, especially in the freezer for ICE CREAM!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #7

Got away from rv fridges 3 or 4 rv's ago...

Lost too much Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla in them !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:17 PM   #8

huh, that's a new one on the ice cream. We usually have it but I never noticed it melting. Does the RV fridge cycle periodically and ruin it?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
huh, that's a new one on the ice cream. We usually have it but I never noticed it melting. Does the RV fridge cycle periodically and ruin it?
Wow, the best refer I have ever owned as far as temps are concerned is the Norcold I just sold in my previous MH... I never had it quit on me even once.
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:00 PM   #10

Last Three RV's have Had Res Fridge. Depending on your battery setup we been able to go 24-48 hours and not had any issue. If you left the set up as stock from RW you should be able to get at least 8 hours on the battery. If plugged into the truck you should not have any issues while underway. No way I am going back to RV fridge.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #11

Brad, don't think the Ice Cream was spoiling, our Norcold just would not keep it hard, was almost like a thick shake. We had the fridge set as low as we dared, any colder and we started freezing things, but the ice cream was still very soft.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:44 PM   #12

Ah OK. Mine may be that way, I'll have to pay more attention. Of course where I am you can just keep the ice cream on the porch! You folks are in some pretty good high temps.