Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2016, 03:20 AM   #1

Replacing the matress

Ok all you front living....have any of you replaced your matress? I have a pillow top that came with it, but need something more firm. Is there a way to make my matress more firm? I'm having a very hard time finding something that will fit because of both slides...
Lvngthegdlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:44 AM   #2

I bought a Brentwood RV (Short) King from Amazon, firmer than the factory mattress, slept good, good price too.

After my wife passed away earlier this year, I ditched the King mattress and bought a Queen mattress, I bought another Brentwood Mattress from Amazon since I liked the last one so much.

I also removed the Steel Frame and Slats under the mattress and put solid plywood under the mattress when I changed to the queen size, that also helped with the firmness.

Bought the 9 Inch thick mattress, it just clears the wardrobe when closing up the slides.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
Site Team

When I had the Redwood I had changed mine over to a sleep number bed.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvngthegdlf View Post
Ok all you front living....have any of you replaced your matress? I have a pillow top that came with it, but need something more firm. Is there a way to make my matress more firm? I'm having a very hard time finding something that will fit because of both slides...

I have a 2012 Redwood 36RL with a queen size mattress and the original euro-slat mattress support. We have used it for 5 years, but, I have always felt it was comfortable but too soft. This summer, I removed the euro-slats frame and replaced with 1/2 inch cabinet grade plywood. I had to use two sheets to cut two pieces to get the required width. I also add 5 or 6 inches to the length to provide support for the end (foot) of the mattress. It still clears the cabinets at the foot of the bed. Now I can set on the foot of the bed and it supports me. I also put a nice radius on the corners of the plywood at the foot of the bed, so no torn or bruised shins.

This definitely improve the firmness of the mattress........much more comfortable now.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:32 PM   #5

I pretty much did the same thing as Hoosierguy. I also bought a 12 inch foam mattress at Sam's with the two inch cool top and we love it.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #6

Thank you all for your feedback. I decided to go the same route as Rob, as I like a firm mattress. A local mattress company offers custom sizes so I went a little shorter on a firm 8" mattress with a separate custom topper for a little cushion and height. That way I can roll up the topper and be done. Hopefully it all works out (fingers crossed!)
Lvngthegdlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:07 PM   #7

The FL floorplan presents a little more or a challenge than the other Redwood Floorplans.
The FL Bedroom has opposing slides when means the Mattress height is limited as it must be able to go under the main wardrobe and push the shallower lower drawers in when the slides close. (The lower drawers are on gas struts and made to move back when closing the opposing slides, this allows the upper wardrobe section to be deeper)
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote