Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Replace roof

Well we decided to replace our roof. WE have made several repairs over the years to the roof. A month ago we had another leak and decided it was time to replace it. We live in our Redwood for the past 5 years and did not want a dealer to have it for 3 to 4 months. They wanted between 4000 to 5000 dollars to replace it. We went with RV Roof.com and their RV Flex Armor roof system.
We dropped the Redwood off at the facility in Green Cove Springs, Fl we left it there for 2 days for the work to be done. They did a great job which included having to replace some of the wood sheeting. We have had two big rain storms with no leaks. This Flex Armor roof comes with a lifetime no leak Guarantee.
Camphost
j1251b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #2

Would love to see pictures. Did they match color? We have looked at the RV-Armor and RVRoof. We have some structure issues to take care of. So far no leaks, but we have been watching the forums--multiple people have replaced roofs. I didn't imagine replacing a roof on a 2 year old 5th wheel... or even a 4 year old in your case.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:41 AM   #3

to be nosey..how much was it?
watts888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #4

Yes I am also interested.
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #5

Oh heck I just saw that original post was 2 years ago. DUH
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #6

We are definitely considering this option. Between the two major vendors (RV Armor and FlexArmor), we are leaning towards going with FlexArmor.

Our coach is a 2016 Sequoia 38 GKS. We took ownership in December of 2015. Technically, the roof is going on 3 years old. Already we are seeing pin holes in the roof and patching as needed with roof sealant. We do have a campsite (rented year around) in the woods and I am assuming that these pin holes are due to small branches or maybe acorns falling on the roof. The acorns normally don't fall all year long. They usually fall during the month of October (which is one fine month to be camping! ). Nonetheless, I might decide in the future to just pull the trailer out of the campsite for that month to avoid acorn damage.

One pin hole in particular is directly above an area of the roof that is bulging up a bit. My opinion is that that bulge is due to water damage but the dealership is telling me that sometimes the roof material will "move". I don't know about you, but I am not comfortable with that explanation. The funny part about it though is that we have not seen any signs of water damage inside the coach. Nonetheless, I am not comfortable with that bulge and have decided to "more than likely" have the roof replaced within the next 6 months. I don't want to wait till I see more signs of damage.

Having said all that, if the bulge wasn't there, I would probably not worry about roof replacement right now, even though I am getting concerned about the pin holes showing up. Also, these tiny holes are difficult to see and they hide themselves very well. We do the best we can to keep the roof clean but being in the woods does take its toll.

When it comes to pricing, it is simple to go online and request a quote. Just recently I did this (like a couple of weeks ago) and was quoted $6720 plus tax. This price includes the spray on roof and the replacement of all vent pipes and lids, refrigerator base and lid, standard vent lids, camco vent covers and new a/c gaskets when they reinstall the a/cs. This quote is from their King Mountain, NC location. They have 9 locations to choose from. I don't know if the quote would be different based on location. This price does not include any repairs to the roof itself in case wood needs to be replaced here and there.

There are 2 major vendors to choose from. I would suggest that you do your homework and research both vendors and make a decision. Both have their "pros" and "cons".

Switching gears for a moment...

In just a few weeks (actually on Nov 19th), we are having the 8k Morryde IS Suspension installed along with Disc Brakes and Timkens bearings and 17.5" Wheels and Goodyear "H" tires.

And then...

on Dec 1st, my wife and I are headed to FL to hang out at Disney for 18 nights (at Fort Wilderness) and then stay at a KOA for another week and visit my folks. We are celebrating our 10th anniversary!

My wife and I have a few years yet before we can retire (actually probably 10 or so) but in the mean time, we are doing our best to take care of our coach and try and keep it as long as we can. I figure between having the suspension upgrade and having the FlexArmor roof installed, we should be able to get quite a few years out of this beast.

I never would have thought that I would be considering a roof replacement this early in the game. Like I said, given that bulge that is there, I don't want to take a gamble. I would rather error on the safe side and do the replacement.

I have not gotten a quote to see how much it would be to replace the roof with the same material (i.e. TPO). I have read and heard though that it can be quite pricey (like anywhere from $5k on up to $8k or so). My thought is that the spray on roof will be more durable and last longer and at the end of the day, it cost close to the same to install TPO.

Thanks,
-Mike
Mike&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:22 AM   #7

Hi Mike, I'm in the same thought process . Two years ago did the suspension and brakes. Last year H rated tires. First long trip and the roof ballooned up. Comes out of the garage maybe 2 weeks out of the year till we retire. Have you had the flex armor installed yet. I've got a 2014 38FL. Plan to take it to Florida to get it done. Sounds like a good permanent roof, any thoughts? Thanks, Alan
Moland is offline   Reply With Quote