Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #1

Remote doesn't open the door

Hello, any quick ideas on how to fix my remote? It lights up when I enter the code, but the door won't lock or unlock. Someone mentioned there's batteries in the door for the lock. I pulled the handle off, and all that's there is a small 12v lock actuator.
I'm going to download the manual, but just wondering if anyone might have an idea.
thanks
Rhoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #2

Cant help, we have the Bauer lock which doesn't have the FOB remote.

There is a rep from RVlocks on the forum, I can't recall his name, hopefully he will see your post and respond.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #3

Ok, thanks. Hopefully he will.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #4

If you have the RV Lock brand there are a set of AA batteries in the handle. I don't know about the Baur lock. I have a 2012 and it has the RV Lock,
Old 06-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #5

Sorry can't help, don't have a remote and only ever use the keys.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #6

Only the RVlock system has the FOB, it's not available on the Bauer.

FYI... the Bauer has 4 AA batteries in the door, though it is not stated anywhere I can find you should use Lithium in this system.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #7

I have the RV locks brand on mine. It has a remote key pad glued to the out side next to the door. There are two very small Philip screws under it to remove then take a small pic to slide the battery holder down and out of the bottom. It takes a CR2032 battery. I know this because I have put about 8 battery's in it in 4 months. It works when it wants to and you never know when it don't so I had a hide a key made after getting lock out. I like the idea of the system but it's a pain in the rear when it don't work.

Alan & Debbie Cheney
2011 DENALI HD 1 TON
2013 40KB LIMITED
40KB LIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:45 AM   #8

Our keypad has been replaced and still does not work. Never leave without the keys. Service Mgr. at Explorer USA even said he didn't know why they bothered installing since they never work right.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #9

I've taken the lock off, and I can't see anywhere for a place for 4 AA's. I've tried to download the manuals on the Redwoodowners.com site, but for some reason it doesn't recognize my username and password, since there are the same.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #10

do a google search for your type lock - found the bauer manuals on their website and they were very concerned mine hasn't worked since new... but still no fixes yet
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #11

Rjoe1,

Which lock do you have? We have the Bauer [does not have a remote FOB], this lock has 4 AA batteries accessible from the inside. Here is the Bauer manual.

The one with the remote FOB is an RVlock and as I understand doesn't have AA batteries. Someone who does have this model will have to tell you what batteries are required for to.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #12

The RV lock uses 4 AA batteries. There are two small screws on the left side that must be taken out to remove the cover to expose the batteries. Here is the instructions from the manual.

Changing the Batteries on your RVLock Handle
** Remove the two (2) screws holding the battery cover and install four (4) AA alkaline batteries. NOTE: Install high quality, fully charged alkaline batteries. Batteries should last 6 months in between changes. Remove batteries at the end of the season and/or during large gaps between trips to avoid draining batteries and possible damage.
A beep will confirm that the handle has power. Replace the battery cover and screws. (DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN
Old 06-16-2014, 01:41 AM   #13

What brand lock is it? My RV Locks brand has 4 AA battery's in the inside grab handle.

Alan & Debbie Cheney
2011 DENALI HD 1 TON
2013 40KB LIMITED
Old 06-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoe1 View Post
I've taken the lock off, and I can't see anywhere for a place for 4 AA's. I've tried to download the manuals on the Redwoodowners.com site, but for some reason it doesn't recognize my username and password, since there are the same.
Just checked on the other site and don't see your username. When you signed up did you respond to the verification email. They are sent immediately, but some email systems classify them as junk and will put them in deleted or junk email.

On the other site, as an additional security measure, if you don't respond to the verification email we don't approve the membership.

I suggest you sign up again and check all folders for the return email.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:39 AM   #15

Funny that we have been talking about these locks. Mine quit again today. This battery lasted a hole 5 days. I just don't get it. The factor lithium 2032 lasted from nov. 20th 2013 till March 2014. Now I'm putting every lithium brand made in it nothing will last over two weeks sometimes there dead the next morning. I have check to see if it's staying lit up to see if that's running it down but the light always goes out. I don't get it.

Alan & Debbie Cheney
2011 DENALI HD 1 TON
2013 40KB LIMITED
Old 06-17-2014, 04:44 AM   #16
Site Team

I have enough frustrations in life and decided that my key works just fine. I never developed the trust in the battery operated locks so I carried my keys anyway. I wish the RV manufactures would focus on building great trailers and leave the novelties to the after market folks.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:58 AM   #17

Same here, never even tested them. Guess I should remove the original batteries when I get home.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #18

Your right...bells and whistles belong in a band, they usually never hold up. We have always used our keys and they have never failed.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I have enough frustrations in life and decided that my key works just fine. I never developed the trust in the battery operated locks so I carried my keys anyway. I wish the RV manufactures would focus on building great trailers and leave the novelties to the after market folks.
It is interesting to me that the folks have been talking about problems with their door locks since the earliest days of Redwood 5th wheels, especially the Bauer locks and the RVLocks brands. I guess we were really lucky with our 2012 36RL in that it has a "no name" lock that operates off of 12 Volts through a couple of contacts on the side (edge) of the door. I have looked and do not see any name on the mounting plates. It came with two keys and key FOB remotes. They have worked perfectly for 3 years. We have not had the first hint of a problem.

The Bauer locks and RVLocks must have some poor electronics design if they are going through batteries that often. There is really no excuse for that type of operation. Just a thought from a retired electrical/electronics engineer.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
It is interesting to me that the folks have been talking about problems with their door locks since the earliest days of Redwood 5th wheels, especially the Bauer locks and the RVLocks brands. I guess we were really lucky with our 2012 36RL in that it has a "no name" lock that operates off of 12 Volts through a couple of contacts on the side (edge) of the door. I have looked and do not see any name on the mounting plates. It came with two keys and key FOB remotes. They have worked perfectly for 3 years. We have not had the first hint of a problem.

The Bauer locks and RVLocks must have some poor electronics design if they are going through batteries that often. There is really no excuse for that type of operation. Just a thought from a retired electrical/electronics engineer.
We have the same lock. I just replaced my solenoid a couple of weeks ago. It is a Southco lock provided by LCI.