Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #1

Hey,

Has anyone had an issue where the refrigerator seems warm and the freezer is cold in their RV

Model 1210
Manufacturer Norcold

Any words of wisdom?

benstefa1@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #2

Our fridge is working well so far. Still trying to get the plastic taste out of the ice. We have it double filtered and it is getting better with each use.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #3

You need to purify it with some Tennesse dew.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #4

I am all in on that!!!!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #5

I skipped the icemaker because of the tankwater ice cube issue and the reduction of space in the freezer. Your post makes me think that was a good decision.Maybe there is a different compositioncartridge you could get for the in-house water filter?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #6

Ben, There is a "flapper" on the right edge of the left door that the left edge of the right door seals against.
Confused yet? If so, there is a schematic of the left side door about half way down this page:http://www.mccampingsupplies.com/ind...page&id=11
Item 3 is the flapper I'm referring to.
When the left door is closed the flapper is supposed to position itself so that the right door can seal against it. Our Dometic refrigerator, which looks very similar to the Norcold 1210, has this same flapper. Our fridge's temperature would be in the mid 40s one day then mid 30s another. I couldn't figure out the reason for the temperature swings until I noticed the flapper would be at a 45 degree angle when the left door was closed. When I manually locate the flapper into the proper position the fridge temp stabilizes at around 37 degrees.

Another option is to move the thermistor. If it's mounted in the cooling fins at the back of the fridge you can move it up or down to adjust the temp. This will affect the freezer temp as well.
Edited by: TravelinAnderson
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #7

Good job Steve that's where I was going to head him to to solve his problem. Another to consider is if you had put a lot of room temperature or hot food in the fridge it will develop an gas pocket in the cooling unit if this is the case you must remove everything from the fridge and freezer put some where that it can keep cold, shut down the refrigerator for a few hours to allow the cooling unit on the back get to ambient outside temperature. Once the cooling unit has reached the outside ambient temperature you can then start the refrigerator back up, turn it on and leave the doors closed you do not need to check every hour , just remember that for every degree lost in temperature it takes 1 hour to recover, so the more times the door is opened the longer it will take to cool down. You must allow the refrigerator to cold this will take up to 24 hrs.
Once the fridge has cooled down to temperature (0 or below in the frezzer and 38 to 40 in the lower fridge) you can load your items back in but the freezer items need to be frozen and the rest needs to be cold or you will develop the gas pocket again and you have to start all over.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #8

Hmmmmmm. Never realized a fridge could be so tricky. Thank you all!
I have purchased a thermometer as recommended for the fridge and oven. The oven was 125 degrees off(whirlpool gold model)

The fridge is still sitting so I have a baseline to begin with. I never realized the flapper was there. I will pay more attention to it to see how it closes.I manually made sure it was closed at the moment. I will monitor and see what it reads Tommorrow.

If it does not improve I may need to try the unload recommended above. I am not sure how the freezer was loaded.
I did go grocery shopping and had warm sodas in the fridge to cool as well as other items.

Thank you all I will try several things and let everyone know what works......
Old 04-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #9

I don't know if it's ture any more with the new frigs; we were told to start it on propane because it was more efficient in the cool down process. We dry camped for many years and always had to turn it up when on propane. I guess when you think of it, every time you open those massive doors it like a dump truckā€?all your cold just dumps out and the only thing that's cool are you're already cooled contents. Good luck. Just something else to look forward too.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #10

Thermistor question - if I relocate it what is the relation to the up and down relocation. Also, can it only be relocated just on the cooling fin or elsewhere lower in the fridge? The thermistor is currently located on the right side cooling fin towards the top. I did move it a bit lower on the same fin about an inch down to see what the result might be.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by benstefa1@yahoo.com
Thermistor question - if I relocate it what is the relation to the up and down relocation. Also, can it only be relocated just on the cooling fin or elsewhere lower in the fridge? The thermistor is currently located on the right side cooling fin toward the top. I did move it a bit lower on the same fin about an inch down to see what the result might be.

Thank you all for your help.

Leave the thermistor on the far right cooling fin as this is the warmer spot in the fridge. To adjust the temp with the thermistor raise it up to make the fridge cooler and lower it to make the fridge warmer. Remember that cold air falls and warm air rises up.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #12

I think Norcold puts their thermistor on the second fin from the right at the factory. You can move agoodthermistor left for colder operation. For fine tuning, move it up on the same fin for cooler operation, down for warmer. Allow 24 hours between adjustments without opening door or changing the temp setting.</span>If your fridge doesn't have a built in thermometer a good wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer works for monitoring temperature inside a fridge.</span>

TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #13

Thank you all. Here is what I ended up doing thanks to all.

I moved the thermistor one fin to the left and read the temperature every 24 hours.It dropped the temp by about 5 degrees a fin. I raised it slightly and it now cools really well in the 34-36 degree range and maintains pretty well even after the door has been opened briefly.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #14

Good deal Ben glad you got it figured out. What setting do you have the fridge set at? 34 to 36 is a little cool for any setting less than setting number 7 or 8.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #15

I had it set on 9. Forgot about that setting with all the thermistor work.
Just turned it down to 7 to see where it will end up.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by benstefa1@yahoo.com
I had it set on 9. Forgot about that setting with all the thermistor work.
Just turned it down to 7 to see where it will end up.
If you go to setting7 you should be around 36 to 38 and if you go to setting 6 it should be 38 to 40 setting 5 should be around 39 to 41.