Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2015, 04:32 AM   #1

Refrigerator not working while driving

This is my first RV and I have a lot to learn I know. When purchasing my 38gbk the salesman said that the residential fridge would run when hooked up to my truck driving down the road. I must be forgetting to do something or I didn't understand him correctly because it won't or at least not for long.

After camping for about a week on shore 50amp power I hook up and turn my inverter on. It says it's inverting but after just a few hours the red fault light comes on and the fridge does not have power. So it looks like after sucking the juice from the batteries it just craps out.

Shouldn't the batteries charge from my truck? I have dual alternator setup truck. The switch located in the battery bay is set to on.

I've read and reread the inverter manual and I just can't seem to get this to work properly.
1970hankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #2

The inverter panel is a multi function 'toggle' panel and is easily set incorrectly (don't ask me how I know )
Does the little light on the inverter panel at least start out green showing inverter on?

I assume you have a 3rd battery fro the fridge ? Does it test good ?

If a Samsung residential fridge, make sure it is not in demo mode...
unplug rv from power, press and hold the freezer and power freeze buttons at the same time for about 3 seconds... and see if it stays on....

Are you sure the charge line from your truck is supplying power ?
Another great guy on this forum helped us to identify that our 38gk pinched a wire around the axles and shorted out a fuse on the truck.

Go to Walmart or wherever and get a $10 or so 7 pin rv trailer connector tester to be sure the power is working from your truck.

Good luck...

(I would waste a few minutes calling your dealer and/or Redwood to see if they might be of some help )
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #3

When you mention, "after a week...turn the inverter on" shouldn't the inverter/converter be on all the time? The Magnum unit charges the batteries when hooked to shore power, then works as an inverter when disconnected. Maybe the batteries aren't getting charged, the tow vehicle will only be able to do so much.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #4

1970Hankins,

I just went through a similar problem with my Magnum. You didn't mention the fault code (if any). Mine would through a fault code 80 which, according to Magnum is a generic code...not specific.

My unit would through the fault code and sometimes it would continue to invert and run the refer, sometimes it didn't. In January, I called Magnum and they ran me through a few tests and determined there was an issue with the inverter. At the time it wasn't convenient for me to take it out for repair. I'm plugged in for a month and there was a Magnum dealer in the area. They arranged the repair under warranty. I picked it up yesterday and will reinstall it in a few days. There was apparently an issue with the circuit board that they replaced.

Magnum was good to deal with. I could have had our dealer take care of the issue but it was far more convenient for me to do the work.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #5

Does your inverter panel look like this?

If the light above the INV is not lit, it is not running....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arlington-20130928-00234.jpg (269.5 KB, 10 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:46 AM   #6

If your truck is pre-2012 GMC, it requires your dealer to activate the trailer connector's 12V power. Of course, you can do it yourself, but I can't remember the fuse box circuit number. Probably on the Internet if you search.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the feedback. The problem is not resolved yet but I'm taking it in for service today for some other issues and I will just add this to the list.

I will post the results for reference.
1970hankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #8

We had the same problem after a hour long phone call with the tech at Magnum he suggested it was the battery's. I took them out and they were bone dry and the rig was only 2 months old I put distilled water in them and they overheated and smelled like rotten eggs. Lazydaze told me to take them to Interstate and they would replace under warranty did so and they wern't interstate battery's and they were from 2012. Now mind you the 36RL is 2015 bought in Aug of 2014 and this is Sept 2014 needless to say I paid around $300. and was told by salesman Lazydaze would refund me and of course they didn't just like all the other stuff they promised and dropped the ball on. Sounds like you need new battery's or at least have them checked out

Woody & Jana
2015 36RL Residential Fridge, W/D Full Paint
2015 Ford F-350SD Lariat, 6.7L Turbo Diesel, DWD, 4X4
MZWoody is offline   Reply With Quote