Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighton91 View Post
I am new to this site as we are prospective new Redwood buyers. For all you guys that have replied to this subject, “if you would not buy a newer model Redwood”, what would you consider? We have a 2012 SOB and want to upgrade and want to stay under 40 feet. Have looked at most of the higher end units and thought the RW3401RL checked most of our boxes. Agree with the statement regarding the high gloss cabinet finishes but don’t consider it a deal breaker. These comments sort of dampened my enthusiasm. Any thoughts from newer owners would be greatly appreciated.
You need to keep in mind, a Forum naturally gets posts from people with issues. The positive posts are naturally smaller in volume.

I think the important thing is for you to keep in mind overall value. I know things have changed a little since we ordered ours but we are very happy with our 31SL. We shopped almost every other brand and came back to Redwood. Can you find higher quality? Sure but you will pay for it in more ways than just dollars. Like you said in your post, we had to look at length, weight, paint, cabinets, etc. We still came back to Redwood and factory ordered upgraded brakes and suspension along with other options that we wanted. It all cost more to do but, overall, we are happy with what we got for the money we paid.

There sure are plenty of junk units out there if you want it cheap.

JMHO
Old 04-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #22
Site Team

Our coach is a 2013, built in September of 2012. One of the reasons we bought it was when we walked in the door, we just stopped and said "wow". At that time, the only other fifth wheel that did that to us was a DRV Mobile Suites for about $30k more.

We are now fulltime for almost 2 years and still have cabinets that aren't full. It actually has a bit too much storage as you really forget where you put something and then have way to many places to look ... lol. From 2010 until about March of 2014, Redwood was started and managed by Tom Montague who had been the GM of Carriage until the economic downturn put them out of business. His idea was to have a line of coaches that could rival DRV but by making almost everything standard, come in at a somewhat more affordable price. Unfortunately, the corporate bean counters were not happy with the fact that three model years into it, they were still in the red. Tom was replaced. The mandate of the new President, and then the one after him, was to make it profitable as soon as possible.

Each year since the 2016 model year, I have watched as the coach has progressively gotten more and more like a slightly upscale Montana. Less storage, less custom cabinetry, more "bling" and very little done to improve structure or suspension. It's all about how fast to crank them out and how cheaply. We were in new ones in Tampa at the big show last year and I really didn't recognize the brand. Truly a shame. Our 2013 still looks almost new, we constantly get comments on it. Those of us that have the coaches built from 2011- mid 2014 refer to ours as "Tom coaches". There is a difference. Do the early ones have some issues - yes. Suspension is/was crap. If you buy a Redwood that hasn't had suspension upgrades done, budget that immediately. If you're not going to tow extensively, then add the MorRyde equalizer, a shock system, wet bolts and make sure it has G or preferably H rated tires. If you're planning on towing extensively like a lot of us, budget the money and the time and go to MorRyde to have the IS and disc brakes installed. The difference will astound you and you no longer have any issues with springs and shackles. The early ones also can have some frame issues. The Z kick up for the front section wasn't as strong as it should be and also the framework wasn't attached with hardware as robust as it should have been. If it was towed a lot and especially if pin heavy, a crack will develop below the bedroom slide. If all it does is remain a hairline crack, then you're ok, it's just a skin stress crack. Grind it out a bit, seal with silicone and cover with molding. If however, the crack widens, or if you look in the mirror of truck at the hitch while pulling and can see movement of the pinbox into the cap, things are much more serious. It can be fixed, but is a major repair as the skin must be cut on both sides and the front skin around and behind pinbox dropped. Then the framework welds will need to be redone and all of the framework reattached to the main frame with larger hardware. Luckily mine was done under warranty but I'm fairly certain it would have been a many thousands $$$ job otherwise.

At this point in time, my council to anyone wanting a Redwood is pick the layout you want and go looking for a nice 2015 or earlier coach. Get it inspected by a qualified person, get a good extended warranty, do the mods and drive off happy.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:20 PM   #23

Piper Guy, you always provide such good info. Like you with your model, we said wow after seeing Redwood's 38GK model. We kept looking for almost a year. Though a DVR model was our runner up, the 38GK kept us coming back. It's at our dealer this time since March 26 when it went in for it's annual inspection arriving there with another broken spring. Now we're waiting for new springs all around for the 2nd time since buying new in April 2017. Hopefully this new batch will hold up long enough for us to make it to the rally. There we hope to get 8K MorRyde independent suspension installed.
NewRW Owner is offline   Reply With Quote