Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
I would say you don't get somethin' for nuthin'. Personally, I'd prefer to do business with a company that designs and builds correctly the first time. The idea of ripping apart an RV to make it "your own" is something I'm not interested in doing. How far do you go? Maybe it's possible with loads of free time and money but I don't fit that category. I think the market is just beginning to respond to what folks are requesting in a real fulltime unit. Case in point, New Horizons has now brought to market their Summit line, which is built with the same integrity as their high end Majestic line, but without most of the glitz. Another relative newcomer is Augusta RV. I spoke with a friend who saw their Luxe model at Hershey. Apparently, this brand has come a long way since it was first introduced last year. It's fantastic to see the market respond.
Good point.......
Old 10-14-2015, 04:46 PM   #22

I was curious about the Augusta RV. Don't think Redwood has much to worry about. Yes they have the Mor/Ryde IS suspension but they are also priced considerably more. If you look at their used model for sale, the interior is not as nice. 2016 Luxe 5th Wheel | FA910602 (Used)

For fun, price out their 39FB with the equipment that is standard on the Redwood. I believe I saved enough to upgrade to the Mor/ryde IS. Also like the Luxary Suites, they keep their weight a secret.

They seem to like to use glass in a lot of their doors, why would anyone want glass doors on a closet?
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #23

Scott,
Very few on this forum have had more problems and set backs with their RW than myself. I have now owned mine for 22 weeks and counting. I have only had it at my address for 8 of those weeks. So am I disappointed? Yeah I am. However, you and I are in agreement. For the difference in the money I will upgrade my RW. I can't upgrade the frame. But the brakes, wheels, tires, and axels and suspension are all easily done with a few more dollars. And I can add those at my pleasure. At some point I am going to win this battle and I will no longer need to go back to the dealer for these nagging warranty issues. The Augusta RV looks great. And 2-3 years down the road I may be in the market again and will consider it. But hopefully by that time RW will have over come many of the dealer/manufacturing problems. So sign me a Ticked but happy RW owner. LOL! I am just happy to be ticked about something....... the alternative is not to good. LOL!
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #24

My redwood has been sitting in my backyard for a few weeks. Tomorrow I leave for Wyoming with it. My concern is that I keep wondering what I am missing, I can't find the problems that every one is talking about. Maybe I hit the lottery or I am woefully ignorant. Maybe after my first use in Wyoming, in winter, I will be singing a different tune. You do have my sympathies for what you have gone through on your Redwood.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
My redwood has been sitting in my backyard for a few weeks. Tomorrow I leave for Wyoming with it. My concern is that I keep wondering what I am missing, I can't find the problems that every one is talking about. Maybe I hit the lottery or I am woefully ignorant. Maybe after my first use in Wyoming, in winter, I will be singing a different tune. You do have my sympathies for what you have gone through on your Redwood.

Don't worry not all of the Redwoods have issues......but all RVs require maintenance on a regular basis. RV= freedom and enjoyment .....but keep a tool box close by
Old 10-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #26

Quote:
As some of the regulars here tell me , you and I are still on our honeymoon with the RW..
Like you , maybe when I start having constant issues , I too will be singing that tune...
For now , it's a wonderful fifth wheel..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #27

Quote:
I was curious about the Augusta RV. Don't think Redwood has much to worry about. Yes they have the Mor/Ryde IS suspension but they are also priced considerably more. If you look at their used model for sale, the interior is not as nice. 2016 Luxe 5th Wheel | FA910602 (Used)

For fun, price out their 39FB with the equipment that is standard on the Redwood. I believe I saved enough to upgrade to the Mor/ryde IS. Also like the Luxary Suites, they keep their weight a secret.

They seem to like to use glass in a lot of their doors, why would anyone want glass doors on a closet?
Units come standard with the Mor Ryde 8,000 IS with disc brakes and 17.5 inch wheels, also went to a wide body. 12 inch I Beam with a 2" tube and hung wall construction. Tankless water heater. Not insignificant is their apparent willingness to allow customizing. Not too shabby, IMHO.

These details are for informational purposes only. I'm not a dealer, owner or wannabee. Currently very happy with our RW.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #28
Site Team

Tom,

I would have to agree with you. IMHO the Lux would get my attention and serious consideration. I'm openly a critic of RVs and they all have their own unique positives and negatives. From what I've heard so far I'm impressed with what I call "under the skin necessities" like good running gear, wheels, walls and seals. Also their attitude sounds good.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Don't worry not all of the Redwoods have issues......but all RVs require maintenance on a regular basis. RV= freedom and enjoyment .....but keep a tool box close by
I was told I purchased the maintenance free version. In addition, where ever I park there will be rainbows and birds singing.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #30

[QUOTE=spindrift;56244]Units come standard with the Mor Ryde 8,000 IS with disc brakes and 17.5 inch wheels, also went to a wide body. 12 inch I Beam with a 2" tube and hung wall construction. Tankless water heater. Not insignificant is their apparent willingness to allow customizing. Not too shabby, IMHO.

Makes sense, they cost more.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #31
Site Team

Take it from someone who has done it......the additional money spent for quality build is worth it. However........everyone claims to be better built so sometimes its hard to pick the fly sh%t out of the pepper.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:20 AM   #32
S&K

I may not ever eat pepper again, Dave.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:45 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Take it from someone who has done it......the additional money spent for quality build is worth it. However........everyone claims to be better built so sometimes its hard to pick the fly sh%t out of the pepper.

Up to now, I have always reached for the salt and pepper for almost everything............I guess now I will have pause relative to the pepper!! Or maybe switch to white pepper!!

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:15 AM   #34

My wife just informed me she is allergic to pepper, so she has been using pure fly sh%t and not telling me.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:18 AM   #35

So Brad, does this mean you really are full of you know what??????????????
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
I have pulled my Redwood approximately 22k miles and only a few minor problems. We are very happy with it. I did just change the shackles and wet bolts to make sure I had got rid of the plastic bushings.

I hope you have a great trip. Enjoy.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #37

Quote:

Scott I am with you. The inside of these Luxe RV's in no way look as nice as the RW. The quality of their woodwork and interior design leaves a lot to be desired. However, I guess you could buy one of theirs and start gutting the inside to redo it
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #38

Quote:

I just priced out a 2016 38RL from them... it was close to $42,000.00 MORE as Equipped .. that was after the discount.. close to $80,000.00 more before the discount.. I could buy a second trailer and use it for spare parts
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
So Brad, does this mean you really are full of you know what??????????????
It certainly does!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
I just priced out a 2016 38RL from them... it was close to $42,000.00 MORE as Equipped .. that was after the discount.. close to $80,000.00 more before the discount.. I could buy a second trailer and use it for spare parts
I don't know who provided that pricing to you, but it's not even close. And if you're happy with your Redwood, that's what counts.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote