Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #1

Anyone towing a Redwood with a 4x4. is you truck and 5th wheel sitting level, hooked up or did you have to ajust the hitch and or pin.

Lillyputz
Old 04-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #2

Hi Lilly, I have a '12 GMC 3500HD dually 4x4 and it is high from factory. I'm 6'1" and I have to stand on a stepstooljust to get up in the thing. I just picked up my Redwood with the Trail-Air optionand just as I suspected, the RL rides nose high. I can drop my Reese Elite another inch, and possibly raise the Trail-Air one notch, but I don't think that will be enough. Maybesomeone will post who has the standard pinbox and let you know.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #3

Lillyputz
We have a 2011 Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab SRW 4x4 with a Curt Q5 20K hitch and a 2012 Redwood FB with the 'standard' Trailair pin box...

The hitch is adjusted to its highest position to compensate for the higher than normal bed walls. The pin box is 'factory standard' / as delivered...

The back of the tuck (unloaded)sits high. With the Redwood attached the truck bed drops down several inches and everything 'appears' to be pretty level...

HOWEVER... while everything looks level, the front of the Redwood is pretty low-slung which puts the landing gear pretty close to the ground and the generator exhaust is just as low... So adjusting the pin box to havethe trailer ride a little 'nose high' might actually be a good thing???

I haven't had any actual issues towing with what 'looks' level.

balorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #4

Thanks For the info.

Lillyputz