Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2018, 05:04 AM   #1

Redwood 31'

Anyone pulling a 31' redwood with a 4 door short bed Ram 4x4 Turbo 2500 with air bags ? All the mechanics say it fine but I don't see anyone on the messages that tow a 31' RW with a Ram 2500. HELP Please.
Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #2

First off, there is no Redwood that's 31 feet, if your're talking about a 31SL it's approx 35 feet and unless you tow it completely empty will overload your 2500. It's not about pulling, it's all about carrying the pin weight.
Have a friend that has the 31SL and was using a 2500 Chevy, finally ran the complete setup over the scales and traded for a 3500 SRW Chevy to get in spec.
Only you can make the final decision on what to do.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #3

I have a 3901 WB and I'm towing it with a 2500 HD durramax with airbags.
The air bags don't increase the weight you can handle, but it allows you to adjust your stance.
I've scale my unit every time I haul it. I have to be very careful if my pin weight. I'm usually about #25,000 GCVW and my drive axle weight is 6,200(max according to the door tag).. if I have not dumped there could be more on the drive axle as it seems the 2 grey and 1 black tank are forward of the potable water and as you use it, it changes the weight distribution.
So, I'm totally at the max weight for this truck.. there are a few times I might be over the drive axle rating by 400 lbs..
You have to be careful and hope you don't blow out a tire..
I'm happy with what I have, but if i doing this over, I think I'd get a 3500 HD..
3 AC's. Full Body Paint, Winegard Traveler Satellite, Solar Panels, Residential Fridge, Sleep Number, Air ride, Slide Toppers, 2 3K inverters, Wife and 2 dogs/Full Bar!
Bigrisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #4

I tow my “16” 38 RL with a “15” F-350 SRW.. We are weekend warriors and have more empty drawers than full. We always use full hookups, and never travel with water or any fluids.

I am at my max, and could never imagine using anything smaller, in fact as soon as we hit that moment that we are going longer, a DRW will be in my driveway.

As of now, I am thrilled about the way my truck handles the RW, I hacve added bags that are kept at 30#, and a HD Helwig rear sway bar. The truck runs like a champ, but am at MAX.

Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #5

Yes, ours is at the max 18,000 pounds for towing, I have 14,500 on the coach's axles and I'm under my steer axle ratings and just at, or once over by 200 lbs on my drive axle rating.
So, this 2500 HD is right at it's rated max, both on the axles and towing capacity.
3 AC's. Full Body Paint, Winegard Traveler Satellite, Solar Panels, Residential Fridge, Sleep Number, Air ride, Slide Toppers, 2 3K inverters, Wife and 2 dogs/Full Bar!
Old 10-01-2018, 12:34 AM   #6

They must have really lightened up the MBs, ours left the Factory at just shy of 16K empty.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 10-01-2018, 03:27 AM   #7

Remember the bags do not increase your weight capacity.

I towed with a 6.5 foot bed 2500 chevy Duramax. I added bags for stability. I have the 31 SL and do not tow with water and have plastic plates and a few pots and pans. I ran it across the scales and had just a little room to load the fridge and fill the fuel tanks.

I now have upgraded to the 1ton single axle. I still put bags on to stabilize things.

I think you know the answer because you had to ask. Run it over the CAT Scales at a truck stop...

Also check the tire rating for weight. That is where you will be surprised.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
First off, there is no Redwood that's 31 feet, if your're talking about a 31SL it's approx 35 feet and unless you tow it completely empty will overload your 2500. It's not about pulling, it's all about carrying the pin weight.
Have a friend that has the 31SL and was using a 2500 Chevy, finally ran the complete setup over the scales and traded for a 3500 SRW Chevy to get in spec.
Only you can make the final decision on what to do.
Excuse me girls but my Redwood is sold as a 31' It is no longer made. I realize it is longer but officially it is a 31'.
Thank you for your opinion.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco View Post
Excuse me girls but my Redwood is sold as a 31' It is no longer made. I realize it is longer but officially it is a 31'.
Thank you for your opinion.
The "model number" is a 31 SL, not the length, if you actually measure it you'll find it's at or near 35'. Those model numbers are NOT the actual length, mine is a 36FB & measures 38'11".
As they said RW DOES NOT build a 5er that's actually 31' long, regardless of what your salesman may have told you.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
The "model number" is a 31 SL, not the length, if you actually measure it you'll find it's at or near 35'. Those model numbers are NOT the actual length, mine is a 36FB & measures 38'11".
As they said RW DOES NOT build a 5er that's actually 31' long, regardless of what your salesman may have told you.
yes I realize that . Was trying to describe the model.
it is called a 31 foot but is actually 35'
I am asking if my 2005 Dadge turbo diesel has the power to pull my rv. The dealership says yes the mechanics say yes. I wanted the opinion of Redwood owners.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #11

Well we started with a 36RL and per the drawing print it actually measured 40' 4" tip to tail. Our current 39MB measures just shy of 43'.
Any way, your Dodge/Ram won't have any problem pulling a Redwood, but you may encounter an issue carrying the Pin weight.
That unit has a GVWR or 16500 so it could have a pin weight upwards of 3300 if loaded heavy. That's where 250/2500 series trucks get into trouble.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #12

Quote:
I am asking if my 2005 Dadge turbo diesel has the power to pull my rv. The dealership says yes the mechanics say yes. I wanted the opinion of Redwood owners.
That's the misunderstanding here, you ask the dealership & the mechanic, don't know about the mechanic, but odds are neither the truck dealer nor the rv dealer have a clue about the weight limits on your particular truck or rv & I'd give you better odds that they don't care as long as they sell/sold you one or the other.
You'll need to do your own homework from the yellow sticker on your trucks door jamb & actual trailer weights from scales. The weights provided with your rv are basically worthless as the dry weight is with no liquids, no propane, probably 1 battery if any & no options such as generator, w/d or anything else that may have been added by the dealer.
You will have to decide if & by how much overloaded you are comfortable traveling with.
Not saying you can't travel with your truck, I'm sure it will tow it without any effort, not my decision to make, just giving information.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #13

Quote:
That's the misunderstanding here, you ask the dealership & the mechanic, don't know about the mechanic, but odds are neither the truck dealer nor the rv dealer have a clue about the weight limits on your particular truck or rv & I'd give you better odds that they don't care as long as they sell/sold you one or the other.
You'll need to do your own homework from the yellow sticker on your trucks door jamb & actual trailer weights from scales. The weights provided with your rv are basically worthless as the dry weights are with no liquids, no propane, probably 1 battery if any & no options such as generator, w/d or anything else that may have been added by the dealer.
You will have to decide if & by how much overloaded you are comfortable traveling with.
Not saying you can't travel with your truck, I'm sure it will tow it without any effort, not my decision to make, just giving information.
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
You'll need to do your own homework from the yellow sticker on your trucks door jamb & actual trailer weights from scales. The weights provided with your rv are basically worthless as the dry weight is with no liquids, no propane, probably 1 battery if any & no options such as generator, w/d or anything else that may have been added by the dealer.
I own the rig I was asking about not trying to buy it. Thank yu for your response.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:05 AM   #15

So what everyone is trying to say in their own way is, you have to look at a number of things to answer this.
What is the Gross combined vehicle weight rating(GCVWR)?
How much will the coach weight when you pull it? How much is on the coach's axles and how much is transferred to the truck (pin weight)?
What is your truck rated at for both towing capacity, and axle weight (this will be on youdoor jam and it will break down steer axle and drive axle(might say front and rear..)
Then, you go to a truck stop and "scale" your truck.
If your truck is within it's GVWR, and the axles are within the factory rating, and the pin weight and the coach's axles weight added together are what your truck is rated to tow, you're good.
But, I'm betting that you'll either be at the max, or likely over the rating for a 3/4 ton truck. Using airbags will not add to your capacity, only upgraded your rear-ended and suspension and breaks will change that..
Sorry.. No clear answer.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrisky View Post
So what everyone is trying to say in their own way is, you have to look at a number of things to answer this.
What is the Gross combined vehicle weight rating(GCVWR)?
How much will the coach weight when you pull it? How much is on the coach's axles and how much is transferred to the truck (pin weight)?
What is your truck rated at for both towing capacity, and axle weight (this will be on youdoor jam and it will break down steer axle and drive axle(might say front and rear..)
Then, you go to a truck stop and "scale" your truck.
If your truck is within it's GVWR, and the axles are within the factory rating, and the pin weight and the coach's axles weight added together are what your truck is rated to tow, you're good.
But, I'm betting that you'll either be at the max, or likely over the rating for a 3/4 ton truck. Using airbags will not add to your capacity, only upgraded your rear-ended and suspension and breaks will change that..
Sorry.. No clear answer.

I weighted our RL38 last fall in Hookset at the fuel station near the Peterbuilt dealer right on the side of RT93 . I was 400+ lbs over the rear axel rating on my 2016 3500 hd SRW . that rating was limited by the tires equipped on the trucks stock. 7050 lbs . so not knowing what year your trucks is and how its equipped I can bet your in the same issue as I am. Under gross combine but over on the rear axel. I run 40-50 psi in the bags even with the 3500 springs , it helps smooth out the ride. I also have changed to 19.5 tires to avoid a blow out , these tire can carry 4950 lbs each. legal NO
Old 10-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #17

Kris ,
Thank you for informative answer to my question about my 2500 Dodge diesel
Thank you for such a kind approach.
Coco
Old 10-04-2018, 02:28 AM   #18

I’m pulling a 2017 31SL with a 2016 Chev Silverado 3500, 4x4, SRW, Duramax, Crew Cab, Long Bed. Here are my weight measurements with a full tank of gas and my wife and I in the truck. The trailer is loaded for a 6-week trip. We’re not heavy packers, so we’re probably on the light side compared to a lot of people. All water are tanks empty, the LP gas tanks are full, no W/D, two 12V batteries.

As you can see, I have the least margin, 640 lb., on the truck Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). This is not a lot of margin, so I pay careful attention to what I pack in the truck and in the front of the trailer.

I hope this helps. You need to weigh your rig and see where you are relative to your truck ratings. There are CAT weigh stations pretty much everywhere. I suspect you’re going to be overweight on a 2500 Dodge.

Measured Weights and Margins vs Vehicle Ratings
Truck Total: 10960, Margin: 640 (5.5%) GVWR
Steer Axel: 4940, Margin: 660 (11.8%) GAWR Front
Drive Axel: 6020, Margin: 1030 (14.6%) GAWR Rear

Trailer Axle: 12040, Margin: 1960 (14.0%) GAWR

Combined Truck/Trailer Weight: 23000, Margin; 2100 (8.4%) GCWR
shrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrode View Post
I’m pulling a 2017 31SL with a 2016 Chev Silverado 3500, 4x4, SRW, Duramax, Crew Cab, Long Bed. Here are my weight measurements with a full tank of gas and my wife and I in the truck. The trailer is loaded for a 6-week trip. We’re not heavy packers, so we’re probably on the light side compared to a lot of people. All water are tanks empty, the LP gas tanks are full, no W/D, two 12V batteries.

As you can see, I have the least margin, 640 lb., on the truck Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). This is not a lot of margin, so I pay careful attention to what I pack in the truck and in the front of the trailer.

I hope this helps. You need to weigh your rig and see where you are relative to your truck ratings. There are CAT weigh stations pretty much everywhere. I suspect you’re going to be overweight on a 2500 Dodge.

Measured Weights and Margins vs Vehicle Ratings
Truck Total: 10960, Margin: 640 (5.5%) GVWR
Steer Axel: 4940, Margin: 660 (11.8%) GAWR Front
Drive Axel: 6020, Margin: 1030 (14.6%) GAWR Rear

Trailer Axle: 12040, Margin: 1960 (14.0%) GAWR

Combined Truck/Trailer Weight: 23000, Margin; 2100 (8.4%) GCWR
Thank you. I shall do that soon.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #20

31SL pulling with a Ram 3500 short box mega cab

We feel like this is the truck to have for our redwood, would not want to pull with a 2500. Our truck is a '13 and the Redwood a '15
Kalispellcary is offline   Reply With Quote